Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Singulair is amazing..

Default Singulair is amazing..

I have been on singulair for about 2 months now and it has been excellent at keeping my Rosacea under control. My flushing has been non-existent. Even the terrible night flushes and exercise-induced flushing has subsided. I started singulair because I tested positive for allergies (tree pollen, dust mites) I started getting allergy shots and my allergist also prescribed me the Singulair. What is even more amazing is that my broken blood vessels are much less noticeable than they were and my chronic redness is at least 50 percent better. I strongly recommend this, however I'm not sure how you can get it prescribed for you if you don't have allergies or asthma. he only thing that hasn't been helped much is my ocular rosacea. Hope this info helps. -Chris

hi there. I take zyrtec which also is helping. I still feel a burning sometimes but not as strong. I wonder if I should switch to this one, it seems it helps your flushes more..hmm, something to ponder. Also the zyrtec has helped my ocular rosacea the most. No swelling and no swelling in nose either, this is why I am taking it. Also you should remember that after awhile on these meds you should change to another antihistamine from what my allergist have always told me, your body can get use to them. I switch every year or so, can go longer but just wanted to through that in there. Good luck..Jenn

Thank you for the info. I have to try it to see if it work for me. Currently, I'm taking 200mg doxyclyline per day for my perioral dermatitis and rosacea. So far I think my POD is under control but the facial redness and oily t-zone remain an issues for me. When I flush my face looks like I have this small tiny rashes on my cheeks. Do I really have POD or/and rosacea? That's the question I asked everytime when I see a derm. Why? Because in the past, different derm gave me different answer. Come to a point I tends not to trust them anymore. For example, my lastest derm advice me try glycolic acid 20% to smooth my skin texture and it can also help to reduce the redness cause by rosacea. And she was wrong I tried it last night and my face turn red instantly. Today, my derm still insist it is safe to use glycolic acid on my face.

After seeing so many derms in Dallas area, I am still not happy with any one of them. If any members out there would know a good doctor in Dallas and Fort Worth area. Please would you let me know!

Many thanks to all of you!

Thanks for this info, it's so interesting, at first i assumed singulair was a type of antihistamine (which i'm already on) but it's completely different...as far as i can tell from googling it's usually used for asthma, not for skin reactions, although i found one reference that said it possibly could help skin allergies. So i'm really curious to know if your doctor prescribe it for asthma or skin allergies?

I did some more googling and it is used for mastocytosis, which is a disease where the mast cells degranulate too easily, and so causes extreme allergy type reactions, including flushing and wheezing. I'm being checked out for this at the moment because everyday now i'm flushing all over and having wheezing attacks (but have no allergies).

I've been putting off using the asthma inhaler as much as possible because i'm worried that it makes my flushing worse so i'm a bit excited to find out that singulair might be able to treat my wheezing and maybe help my flushing too.

What SINGULAIR is used for
    SINGULAIR is used to prevent asthma symptoms, including those that occur during the day and at night-time. It also prevents the narrowing of airways triggered by exercise.

How SINGULAIR works
    SINGULAIR belongs to a group of medicines called leukotriene receptor antagonists. It works by blocking substances in your lungs called leukotrienes that cause narrowing and swelling of airways. Blocking leukotrienes improves asthma symptoms and helps prevent asthma attacks.

Your doctor may have prescribed SINGULAIR for another reason. Ask your doctor if you have any questions about why SINGULAIR has been prescribed for you

And Jenn thats a good tip to switching antihistamines after a while, i hadn't heard that before. I currently take claratyne but have been meaning to try zyrtec (as it blocks seratonin as well as histamine) so that gives me a good reason to switch to it for a bit.

I know we can take both the singulair and zyrtec together to control hay fever and prevent asthma attacks. That 's what my daugther taking every night. As far as for her wheezing she'll use Flovent instead. Froggirl, I think not using the inhaler as often is a good idea, I heard in child the used of inhaler could give them perioral dermatitis due to the steriod content.

I heard in child the used of inhaler could give them perioral dermatitis due to the steriod content.
    Ekk! Not sure if mine is steroid based or not, i know it's meant to dilates something in the lungs, but given what you've said i think i'll just put up with my wheezing until i can ask my doctor about singulair...

Singular works very well for my mother too during the allergy season and she is coughing much less since she's on it. And it is made for both asthma and hay fever. Worth taking ........ specially if it can help us rosaceans.

Hi Kate and Bichon,

I just wanted to add that when you do take your inhaler make sure to rinse your mouth afterwards. That's to prevent thrush and the like if the inhaler is steroid based. That may also help prevent you from developing perioral dermatitis. Just rinse the area around your mouth as well.

In Nov (2006) I asked my derm to put me on singulair because I had read (I think in Nase's book) that it may help with rosacea. I also happen to have asthma. I developed it 7 years ago along with all my other allergies which appeared all of a sudden but then my asthma mysteriously disappeared about 2 and 1/2 years ago

Anyway, I have noticed no change in my rosacea due to singulair but I am currently still on it because my derm said there are no negative side effects from it (a safe drug ) and also because I still have so many allergies.

It sounds as if you may benefit from it Kate. I can't wait to hear if it does help you! Good luck!!

All the best,
    Melissa

So if we can take zyrtec and singulair together then I am going to try it too. First I have to see if it is a drug I can take with my heart disease and I believe I may not be able to, but will see.

When I first had the burning sensations on my face seven years ago I took antihistamines and acid reflux meds and that helped but now not helping as much but is helping, so maybe if I add this drug in it will work.. Jenn

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your information and this is truly amazing. Reducing or eliminating flushing sounds like paradise! I知 so glad you found this relief! What is the daily dosage you take? Did you also suffer from flushes due to emotional/social nervousness and indoor heat (my biggest and most distressing triggers)? I知 surely going to ask my GP to prescribe me Singulair and I知 sure she will do it. I知 lucky to found this doc, because she is very open minded and tries to help me in every way. She told me, that if I知 a sufferer who really wants to get relief and carry together information and visits the internet to speak and change information with other rosaceans, I probably know more about rosacea than any doc.

Good luck!

Barbara