Thread: Burning in upper arms

Default Burning in upper arms

Does anyone here experience burning not only in their face, but also in their neck and upper arms?

I haven't really read anything else about this. Some things about the neck, but never upper arms. And when I feel the skin where it's burning, it feels completely cold. I wish a doctor could tell me what's wrong with me. I've been to so many of them and they just keep prescribing me pain killers and anti-depressants

It can be so frustrating seeing doctors without getting any answers.

Sounds like for whatever reason your nerves are playing up. Flushing can stimulate them and cause the burning sensation but if there is no redness or heat than it sounds like some kind of neuropathy, in which case normal pain meds won't help. Do your arms ever flush? I've found bad flushing in any part of the body can cause abnormal sensations for a number of days after i get flushing. So i can get burning sensations when my skin looks normal and is cold to touch. Anything that causes inflammation can trigger the nerves, such as seb derm or allergies.

Tricyclic antidepressants seem to be the standard treatment, is that what you meant by antidepressants? Or have you tried anything like lyrica or neurotin? Hope you find some answers soon.

My arms never flush. They just feel like there is a fire underneath my skin. And then the cold air from my fan feels really weird against it, and makes it feel like a cold fire.

I don't know what that is, but they prescribed me Cymbalta and Elivell saying they can both help with the pain. So far, there's no difference. But i'm sleeping a lot more than usual. I average 14 hours a day. I've tried Lyrica, and it didn't help me at all. I haven't tried neurotin.

That does sound like neuropathic pain.

Neuropathic pain is usually perceived as a steady burning and/or "pins and needles" and/or "electric shock" sensations. The difference is due to the fact that "ordinary" pain stimulates only pain nerves, while a neuropathy often results in the firing of both pain and non-pain (touch, warm, cool) sensory nerves in the same area, producing signals that the spinal cord and brain do not normally expect to receive.

Unfortuently neuropathy does appear to be hard to treat. I struggled for ages with a really intense facial pain but luckily for me it turned into numbness and a constant low level burning pain. It's nothing compared to the pain it was and since i've had everything worrying ruled out so i'm just ignoring it. There are a great variety of medications to try so hopefully you find something soon. I was very interested in the topical anesthetic's, my doctor said that they weren't suitable for the face but might be a real possibility for your arms.

I had to have a million tests though to rule out some of the possible causes, like celiac's and diabeties and autoimmune conditons. So if you haven't already had these tests then they might be worth it. Have you seen a neurologist? If so what did they say? There's some good info here on treatments and causes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuropathy