Thread: A Thread For The Musicians In The Group

Default A Thread For The Musicians In The Group

This topic started here in the "User Name" thread,
    http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=6697
    I think it deserves a thread of its own so all you talented folks can post up all about your music!

Laura

Hey, thanks Skywolf!

Let the muso geek fest begin, lol.

So, I hear Rachmaninov had big hands...

BB

funny clip! =D>

How clever! Loved it! Thanks BB and thanks Laura for starting this thread.

Hey! I hate the 'tag' of being called a "geek" because one is a muso and not a sports person. I attempted to play sport too but the times always clashed. I had to choose one or the other. I chose music.

I played in state and national solo and band competitions which was such a rush! I love to perform on stage and show my stuff.

I went to a private girls school and from the age of about 11, I was lead Cornet/Trumpet in the concert band and orchestra at school. I also helped out with the concert band and orchestra at our brother school when needed. I played with the local community brass band which took up a huge amount of time. Rehearsals were full on, not to mention lessons and private practicing.

My music teacher used to get me called up over the PA at school, so that I could teach the beginners and he would teach the older kids. LOL The school didn't appear to know about it! I got free lessons but also taught the younger kids. I guess the school found out eventually, as they gave me a half music scholarship for year 11 and 12...buggers! That meant Mum and Dad had to pay half fees...yet I still taught music to the beginners. Urgh!

There is a kind of special connection between musos. It is different to sport, yet my school (at the time) did not consider my 'national fame' to be anywhere near the local tennis game, when it came to assembly acknowledgements! Kinda sad really! I'm happy to say that my old school now has a big music programme.

Right now, I help out with the local brass band when I can. It's not as easy with two little boys (3 & 6) in tow. When I move...which is coming up very quickly...I may just start a music programme for kids. I have lots of ideas for work when I move but just can't decide!

Ok, enough of a rant from me.

Love to hear others beginnings/stories about being a muso.

Jen x

Well Im not a muso, I posted in the other thread I have no musical talent whatsoever, and sadly its true, but I did try! I played the flute for about a year in grade school, I never got over the getting dizzy aspect of it, and the music teacher was a nasty man that said if I passed out or threw up I would not be the first, or last, student to do that (great motivation ) So I had to quit that, though I wish today I did not. I played guitar for also about a year in high school, didn't get dizzy, lol, but was not exactly a great student and, er, other things occupied my time. I still have my guitar (Fender Gemeni III) and occasionaly pick it up and remember I cant play it. (well, except for the opening notes to "Stairway to Heaven" and of course, "Smoke on the Water" )

Laura

Hi guys,

I used to play piano, organ and clarinet. I played lead clarinet in the all- boro band throughout high school. We even played Carnegie Hall a couple of times. Sadly, I can't sing at all because I am tone deaf! And ironically, that's always what I wished I could do.

Unfortunately, I haven't played any musical instruments since college. I sometimes think that I would like to start again but I wonder how blowing into my clarinet would affect my rosacea

And we don't have a piano or organ. My sister got those because she wanted them and at the time I didn't care. It would be nice to start again because I really love music... and singing along. Even though I can't sing for anything I quite enjoy singing along with my favorite tunes.
    \/

Melissa

Melissa I bet you have a better voice than you think you do! You are not tone deaf, your are tone aware. so any little off note you hear in your voice stands out in your ears. I was once told (about my singing voice) that I could not hold a tune if I had a bucket to carry it in. I have also been told my vioce is nice, so there ya go. Keep singing girl!

Thanks Laura.
    I'll keep singing in the shower and in the car for sure. As long as my husband can stand it!