Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dry skin and red light?

Default dry skin and red light?

Since using my red light i feel my skin seems to be a little drier has anyone else found there skin to drier from using the light. I have been using the light on fresh cleaned face. Does anyone moisturse before using it or does everyone using on here use it on a fresh cleaned face?

Be grateful for any replies on this

Thank you

I'm not really sure Sarah. My skin is normally oily, so any relief from that is great for me - less p&p's. Is your skin normally dry?

I wash my face and then use ZZ ointment (which can be quite drying) before sitting under my array. So I couldn't say for sure really.

Please keep us up-dated on how tings go for you.

Jen

Default dry skin and red light

Thanks for your reply, yes my skin is not oily its on the dry side and i have been just washing my face then doing my moistuser after using the red light but unsure if it work still work as well with maybe putting moisturser on before red light so my skin is not so drying from the red light.

Anyone else found there skin drier from red light?Or has the red light helped with your dry skin?

Any replies i would be grateful
    Thanks Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I wash my face nightly with a couple of tablespoons of sea salt in a litre or so of water (pre boiled) and then cleaning with cotton balls gently. I then sit with my red light for anywhere from 20mins to 1 hour.. just watching TV etc. Obviously my face will get a little red from the warm water and the gentle scrubbing but the red light calms this down and it looks good and clean an hour or so later and it has helped with blackheads etc. I think the red light really does help settle the flush down and despite what you think, sea salt wash is supposed to help with dryness.. check the search engine.

My face varies from oily to really dry.. I have some seb derm as well. I find that the sea salt/water gets rid of dry flakes/excema that I get if I don't regularly exfoliate in same fashion. I have tried in the past using Evening Primrose Oil (a few drops) to scrub clean but I think over time this exacerbated the oilyness.

If your face is sensitive then best is less I find. I can't really put anything on my skin. I also drink a lemon/sea salt drink at least once or twice daily, and watch what you eat. I have found that everything is a little more settled if I cut down on the yeast/wheat/carbs (not sure what really is doing anything but I am sure it is part of it all) side of thing. I have a lot of fruit, salad, meat, eggs. I think the whole thing is a combination of hormones, food intake allergy type of thing and external skin stresses such as what we put on our face. Take it all back to simple. Use the red light, cut out sugars cakes softdrinks, and treat your skin gently.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by liz
    I wash my face nightly with a couple of tablespoons of sea salt in a litre or so of water (pre boiled) and then cleaning with cotton balls gently.
    I've always been meaning to try this Liz but figured it was too messy. I was thinking of boiling the sea salt in the water, so that it didn't create exfoliation but then I wondered how to apply it easily. Cotton balls sounds like a good idea although I prefer to wash my face in the shower. I wonder if the liquid could be thickened some how or made into a soap? I shall ponder this one but if anyone has a suggestion on this, I would be interested to hear. I wonder if Skin Actives have gone down the sea salt path? Must check it out.

Jen

The sea salt dissolves very quickly so its not 'that' type of exfoliation. It just a regular cleanse that seems to keep the flakes at bay.

I boil the water in the kettle, grab a bowl, throw in a couple of heaped tablespoons and a few cottonballs, and then pour in a litre or so of hot water.

Whilst it is cooling a little I use it to quickly steam my face (open air - no towel over it) just to loosen up all the gunk, then gently wipe. You need a towel underneath for the water to run down your arm a little but overall its not too bad. Once done clean that up, pat dry gently and then red light whilst watching tv before bed.

I figure that if spending time at the beach helps your skin then this is replicating it to the best of my ability. Sea salt wash then the (red 660nm wavelength) spectrum of the sun thereafter.

If your face is very inflamed you might find you need to go very gently on the salt component. I also found in the past that continually trying to keep the face moistened with water (to cool etc) was not beneficial - it made the skin flake and tighten much worse.

Liz

Default red light and dry skin

Hi thanks for the idea of trying sea salt i have not yet tried that, I do have a cleanser which is very mild called calmin. Im not sure if you have ever tried that before?I had tried loads before using that and that doesnt seem to irrate my skin but i might have to give the sea salt a try to get rid of this dryness.

I have also pmed you about using red light so i hope to hear from you soon Liz

Sarah

Default I too noticed dry skin...

I was just going to add that I had started my RLT regimen about 2 weeks ago and am seeing some great improvements, but can definitely see a lot of dry skin since starting. I am using the the RED + NearInfrared 3 head array from acnelamp twice a day for 30 minutes each. I am beginning to wonder if maybe the Near Infrared wavelength causes more dryness? Anyway, I moisturize right aftwerwards with Aloe99 and that seems to soothe the dryness.

Is your array all red Sarah? Or is it also NEAR INFRA RED?

Has anyone else experienced dryness?

Hello

Using red light didn't make my skin go dry and I use Aloe99 also. Try layering the Aloe as it's more effective i.e. apply a light covering, wait for it to dry and then apply another layer. As well as morning and night try using the Aloe during the day to combat any dryness.

Using your lamp for an hour a day straight up seems a lot to me, so maybe your skin needs to adjust to it over time. Try cutting back to half this for a few weeks and see if anything changes. I have only ever used my lamp for 1 x 15 minute session per day. More isn't always better.

Thanks

Peter

I have horribly dry skin. I moisturize with vaseline jelly before bed every night. I have (had ?) eczema on my face too.. Anyway, when I started using metrocream I had to mix it with the vaseline otherwise I would dry out and itch. The cream also left a cakey residue -- but cut with a bit of vaseline it doesn't. When I started using the red light I noticed that the skin took on a dewey feeling. I need less moisturizer now. This could be a result of the metrocream combo as well. However the other areas where I use RLT (for my eczema) I have the same results. It's not that it makes my skin moister, but rather, I think, it heals the tissue so that proper balance is restored.

RLT is used by beautician's to decrease wrinkles and improve skin tone.