Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V BEAM

JAE

Default V BEAM

I had V Beam done today. I've had this procedure done a number of times in the past, but it's been over a year since my last one...maybe even a year and a half. I've always had minimal swelling and maybe one or two small bruises about the size of a pea. Today I left the office very swollen (the swelling is almost gone 10 hours later) but most importantly, I'm covered in very dark wine/purple bruises - all the size of a pea, all over my face and neck. There must be 40+ bruises on my face. I look like I have chicken pox or some similar disease. Has anyone out there ever had extensive bruising from V-Beam? I'm really frightened because I've never reacted like this. The nurse who performed the procedure said she turned the settings up and they must have been too high for me, but that I should have excellent results when the bruising goes away. She even said some patients ASK for her to bruise them because that gives them better results. I'm afraid it will never go away. If anyone out there has been through this would you please please post a response. How long did it take before you looked normal again? It's Wednesday and I have a baby shower I must attend on Sunday. Thank you for any input!

Yes I had it done at settings that caused this response. It definetly does go away and you should start to see this begin to happen fairly quickly. To be truthful though they may be lighter by sunday but they will probably still be there.

When I had it done many years ago they used to use much higher settings and the pupura (I bet I spelt that wrong) used to stay for a couple of weeks. Nowadays the settings are alot lower and they disappear quicker.

If you could use makeup then perhaps this would help for your baby shower. In the end I just found that it was best just to tell the truth, let everyone stare for a minute and then get on with it.

By Sunday the deep blue/balck should have gone and it will be a more reddy colour with bits that are fading back to normal. If they are already just reddy then hopefully it will almost be gone by then.

Best wishes

Sarah

JAE

Default V BEAM

Thank you so much! As long as I know that eventually I will look like me again I feel a lot better. I was so scared. If I were more brave I would post photos. If/when I get back to normal I will make sure I post another message. Hopefully people will feel better if this happens to them. Not a sexy look, let me tell you. Thanks again! You saved me from a sleepless night!

I remember whats it like. I had just started going out with my boyfriend when I had mine done. I pretended that I was going away for a few days as I assumed there would be some after effects but was abit shocked about the black spots.

I managed to make excuses for a few days but eventually he turned up unannounced. Not the sort of thing you can explain away easily We laugh about it know but boy was I stressed.

When I get a bruise it usually takes at least a week to see it start to fade. I haven't had v-beam but would like to ask you a question, how much experience should the person using the v beam have do you think?

Was it really painful? Ive done two KTP gemini lasers now and at only 13MJ/cm2 it is virtually painless but I still blister and swell up slightly for a day or two. I plan to do vbeam in a month or two, hopefully my skin is strong enough to take it effectively without causing any more problems down the road.

Hi,

I know just how you feel. I was flipping out after my Vbeam because I didn't realize what the aftereffect was going to be. My derm didn't properly prepare me so my expectations were skewed. I was swollen for days and bruised all over my face. You can read about my experience in an old Vbeam thread.

I am planning a 2nd Vbeam in May but this time my expectations have been adjusted.

It was painful but tolerable. It felt like electric shocks (not that I've ever had electric shocks ).

I think the main problem with doctors is that they don't take the time to communicate with their patients.

Don't worry though, you will heal. I was convinced I was scarred forever after the laser. That's why I appreciate all the people in this forum. We get invaluable info and communication about our ordeals that we're just unable to receive from our doctors.

All the best,
    Melissa

Hello everyone. I went to a derm yesterday to talk about getting some v-beam treatments. He said that since I have a diffuse redness it may be difficult to treat, but said we should do a couple of test patches to see what my reaction to the v-beam would be. I bruised pretty easily on all of the four test spots (see the linked picture) and he said that the bruising means that it would reduce the rosacea significantly. Only downside is that I'd look totally bruised for about two weeks. I can't imagine having my whole face covered in those bruises from the test patches. After doing some surfing on the net the only picture I could find was a lady on the second page I've linked below. Is this really what happens to everyone that gets v-beam? Everyone I show this picture too says there's no way I should do it. Does anyone know how to reduce or speed heal time of this purpura? Thanks everyone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20112125@N00/?saved=1

http://mediwire.skyscape.com/main/De...ArticleID=7601

Just another question for those who are experienced with the Vbeam. Is getting a customized setting really important for this laser or will it do the job pretty much the same across the board using a generalized setting? I just want to make sure that I can get the best for my money in case the derm is too rushed or too busy to monitor the treatment all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by jbug187
    Hello everyone. I went to a derm yesterday to talk about getting some v-beam treatments. He said that since I have a diffuse redness it may be difficult to treat, but said we should do a couple of test patches to see what my reaction to the v-beam would be. I bruised pretty easily on all of the four test spots (see the linked picture) and he said that the bruising means that it would reduce the rosacea significantly. Only downside is that I'd look totally bruised for about two weeks. I can't imagine having my whole face covered in those bruises from the test patches. After doing some surfing on the net the only picture I could find was a lady on the second page I've linked below. Is this really what happens to everyone that gets v-beam? Everyone I show this picture too says there's no way I should do it. Does anyone know how to reduce or speed heal time of this purpura? Thanks everyone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20112125@N00/?saved=1

http://mediwire.skyscape.com/main/De...ArticleID=7601
    The derm either has an older type machine that uses higher levels or he only works at higher levels. Many people on this forum have had vbeam and have not had the purpura.

The second picture was how I looked when I had it done about 10 years ago. With the purpura you do tend to get good clearance but for me the downtime was just too long. How about IPL or KTP laser?