Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Help! Don't want to look silly, made up on beach!!

Default Holiday Help! Don't want to look silly, made up on beach!!

Hi there

This is really bothering me. I haven't been on holiday to a warm climate since my Rosacea was diagnosed. I'm going to Spain this summer - a beach and town/sightseeing holiday.

Every day in life, I now wear SPF15 moisturiser followed by green tinted moisturiser then foundation (Christian Dior). I am reasonably happy with this cover.

The thing is, I'm picturing myself lying at the pool with a mask of thick make up on - looking like an idiot!!!

I honestly can't imagine what I'm going to do. In previous years, I would only have worn make-up in the evenings. During the day I would normally have worn sunscreen and nothing else. But I can't stand the thought of going without my make-up and having a red, greasy, sunscreened face all day long.

The thought of this is ruining my enjoyment of going on holiday.

What would you suggest I do? What do others do? Will I look silly?

Any help or advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

Fingers crossed
    Carol xx

Carol, I say go have a good time.
    But I can't stand the thought of going without my make-up and having a red, greasy, sunscreened face all day long.
    Most people will just figure that your sunburned, people ask me how I got sunburned even in the winter. Enjoy your vacation and don't worry what people think. Odds are you'll never see those people again anyway......UC

Default Carol!

Hi Carol,
    I too HATE that greasy red look that I have if I just wear sunscreen.

When I vacation and if I'm touring (not beach though) I tend
    to wear clinique citi block UNDER my foundation (lancome)
    I wait until it dries and then I apply it.
    What type of dior makeup do you use?
    I've tried practically every makeup from bloomingdales and
    had to return each one as they did a poor cover job - either
    not full coverage or made my face shine terribly-
    scarlett

Carol, I am man and do not use makeup, but I have a suggestion, my face is quite tolerant of sun if I use a good Mineral sunscreen 30spf plus.
    I tan without too much problem for my rosacea, once I am tanned the redness is not really visible and may face looks quite good, any flushing is less evident!
    So if your face is not over sensitive to short periods of sun this might work, and of course if the sunscreen is a bit visible this is quite normal, then you can wear your makeup in the evening as normal.
    If you cannot tan then then this suggestion will not work.
    I do not think you have posted any photos, so I do not know what skin type you are.

Thanks very much for your thoughts on this.

I have very fair skin, blue eyes but have dark hair. I don't tan - I just burn - I blame a sunburn for making my rosacea worse!

I might have a look at the Clinique Citi block - haven't seen this before.

And I never even thought about my red face being mistaken for sunburn - that would be almost normal !!!! I might give that a try!

The Dior foundation I use is Diorskin Eclat Satin - in a fair shade - can't remember which. It's the only one that comes even close to covering my face - but doesn't work well when I'm really bad (have sent for a trial pack of Dermablend creams to test).

Just having your thoughts and being able to share this is really good and reassuring for me.

Any other advice would be really welcome. Thanks again.
    Carol xx

Carol

I think the clinique city block is a good idea as you can get it with a slight colour as well.

Besides that I would look at the sunsense range of products like the daily face protector. It is oil free (so no shine and blocked pores) and is very light, it also has a slight colour to it and may help tone down redness.

http://www.sunsense.com.au/products_daily.php

If you live in the UK you can order it from any pharmacy and they will get it by the next day.

Besides suncream I would defintely recomend a sunhat. This will allow you to escape form the heat of the sun and is better protection than suncream.

Best wishes

Sarah

Hiya,

I wear thick make-up everyday but when on holiday or the beach I couldn't - because it'd simply melt off lol!!!

This year on holiday I'll be wearing no make-up, a big pair of sunglasses and/or a hat & of course suncream - if anyone was to say anything I'd be like .......It's sunburn honest

I don't know about anyone esle (??), but my skins always nicer when i'm on holiday anyway!

Give your skin a little holiday too, hehe, a chance to breathe & get some fresh air

Thanks, everybody, for your advice.

I've bought the Clinique City Block SPF25. It goes on really well and almost looks like a light foundation coverage. I couldn't use it on a daily basis though, cos in addition to Rosacea I have very dry skin and the City Block didn't provide enough moisturiser. Hopefully the City Block will work well during the days though and if any redness shows I will take your advice and look on it as sunburn

Thanks again for everything. I'm feeling much more positive about my holiday now.
    Carol xx

Well, I'm kinda late with this but I've just joined your forum.
    I am 54 and live in Colorado.
    I've had VBeam Laser treatments for Rosacea this past year with more to come. Meanwhile, I've done very well with LaRoche Posay Products and watching my triggers (heat, sun, stress and red wine). I have been wearing La Roche Posay Rosaliac Moisturizer followed by Anthelios SX SPF 15 on a daily basis without irritation, stinging or sunburn. I usually wear a light dust of Jane Iredale Pressed Mineral Powder over this and some of her bronzer as well. It's a very soft, natural look.
    Have also just received some Anthelios SX SPF 50 products to use while on vacation in Hawaii.
    My daily skin treatment is: Toleriane Dermo Cleanser; Toleriane Thermal Spring Water; Rosaliac; Anthelios SX SPF 15.
    For the first time in many years I have comfortable skin.
    Oldskibunny
    Hope you enjoyed your vacation and looked and felt comfortable.

Often times I put a towel over my face if I am tanning. I have seen others do it so its doesnt look too strange. Just makes you look like you dont want to prematurely age but still have a tanned body.