Thread: I feel TRAPPED in restaurants and job interviews-

Default I feel TRAPPED in restaurants and job interviews-

I have ALWAYS had problems in restaurants, especially in the winter.
    I get SO HOT before the food arrives and usually ask someone to
    lower the heat (which is embarrasing but I do it) What ends up
    happening is I hold a glass filled with ice water against my
    cheek. That is all I can do but it doesn't work completely.
    Job interviews are awful too cause you don't know how hot the
    environment will be and it usually is an airless work space.
    As far as the laundry room- forget it. I literally walk out the
    service entrance up the stairs instead of wait in the heat for
    the elevator. As I am waiting for the laundry to finish I have
    to sit under a ceiling fan. Airplanes are pretty bad too. I have
    to turn on and direct the air blower on me to the point that I always
    get a headache from it but realize I need it to cope. Airplanes
    are a BAD trigger and have always been. Anyone else have similar issues?
    scarlett

I have problems in certain enviroments, but they are more based on psychological reasons. If im out in the open I never blush, but if I talk to someone inside in a small room, or on the subway (where you feel more trapped and exposed), then I get these problems. It is not only psychological though, since it isn't as warm outside and you can feel the air against your face all the time, cooling you down.

I know what you mean. There are some environments and situations that i hate. I use Inderal and/or Klonopin when i know i will be in a situation/environment that will cause a flush. I really love those medications, have helped me a lot. Actually i am able to study at the university now again which i dropped out from before cuz i couldnt handle doing presentations and such but it works fine now mostly beacuse of those meds. I really think you should check those meds up if this is a big problem for you.

I believe I have the same thing with airplanes as you do, Scarlett.
    Almost a year ago I had my first trip with flights and now I think flying is practically one of the worst triggers ever with me. I remember that I flushed very bad on board and my cheeks were really hot. But it not only happened on board the plane but also in some airports I felt generally really unwell and my cheeks were flushing really bad..

Hi,
    I have the same problem as you do Scarlett.
    In restaurants I usually am too warm and I also need to ask them to lower the heat (or turn up the A/C). Luckily, they usually do. I also have to hold a cold glass of ice water to my cheek also but hate feeling weird about it. I also ask for a glass of ice and start sucking on ice chips throughout! What a PAIN!

When dining with friends (vs. just me and my husband) it's a lot more stressful because, hey, I just want to be able to enjoy a meal out like a "normal" aka nonflushing person.

I now carry a small battery operated fan with me but I admit I am often reluctant to use it for fear of looking like a lunatic. But sanity usually wins and I end up using the fan when I need to.

I am liking the T-shirt idea more and more that says Hey, it's Rosacea. Now shut-up already! Credit to Burnt1970 for that marvelous idea!

All the best,
    Melissa

I find that situations certain situations are more likely to cause me to flush, partly because of heat, etc but as Sweden said mainly becuase of my anxiety that I may flush. I find that by taking propranolol this takes the edge of this anxiety and therefore I am less likely to flush.

If its food that making you flush than taking an antihistamine tablet before you go out may help aswell.

I'm the same, any heat will always make me flush. We have some meeting rooms at work that are always way too hot and when ever i'm in them i flush badly. I'm getting much better at tuning the pain of it out but it would be really hard in an job interview situation.

Planes are bad for me too, particularly the smaller type that warm up sitting on the runway and the airflow dosen't start until you take off. I carry cold water and ice packs with me when ever i fly. I also get as many cups of ice as i can over the trip but it's still a very physcially uncomfortable experience for me. Maybe i need one of those fans. I think the low humidity also makes it much worse. Because often as soon as we land and i'm off the plane the burning stops. I have to fly next week with a collegue, so i guess i'll have to tell explain it to him. Or get one of those teeshirts!!!

Default Hey

Thanks for all of your great input.
    Very helpful.
    I may turn to meds but hesitate for
    now. I once had a BAD reaction to a
    med that brought me to the ER. I was
    itching for 6 wks among other symps.
    I will try the ice pack for flights.
    Luckily I don't fly often so that is doable.
    scarlett

Scarlett: Also, the air on flights is incredibly dry. I'd be sure to moisturize well beforehand. I sometimes use a very thin layer of vaseline on my skin when I fly.

Cheers!

Artist

Like Melissa I also carry a small battery operated fan - and typically I'm not shy about using it if I need to.

For anyone who is thinking of that kind of solution - the only comments I've ever had from others in the restaurant, or working in the restuarant have been positive and usually along the lines of "I want one". If it works, go for it. I don't always use it - but having it there makes me feel better too as I know I have the option to!
    Diane
    Vancouver Island, BC