Thread: OTC Treatment for Seb Derm.

Default OTC Treatment for Seb Derm.

I went to the Derm a few weeks ago and he prescribed me cream for Seb Derm. He didn't actually tell me I had Seb Derm, but he just gave me a med for it. It's a form of Hydrocortisone Cream. I've heard some bad things about them so I have yet to use it.

Is the cream viable? Is there anything OTC that I could buy that may help it?

Any help or advice would be great! Thanks!

Hi

I guess before trying anything it would be good to know if seb derm matches what your noticing in your skin. There's some good info here.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/...ermatitis.html

I have seb derm on my face too and use hydrocortisone cream (1% nonflurionated) for a year now without any ill effects. My doctor and derm both swear (i've asked many times!) that this strength is safe to use on my rosacea skin. Generally the idea with hydrocortisone is to use it for a week or so to knock down the inflammation and then to use it is infrequently as possible to stop it flaring. Which for me is a tiny amount every ten days or so.

There are some OTC things to try to, such as Nizoral cream or any of the antidandruff shampoos (either ones with antifungals like head and shoulders or tar based shampoos). They can be harsh on the skin though (especially any of the shampoos) so it really depends how sensative your skin is. So personally I can use nizoral cream on my forehead and nose but i can't on my cheeks.

You'll have to use them continiously for about four weeks to see if they help or not.

Hope that helps

Kate

I, unfortunately, used 1% hydrocortisone for years for seb derm, and think it may have contributed to the rosacea problem I now have. It worked great, but I think it might take its toll over time in thinning the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggirl
    Hi

I guess before trying anything it would be good to know if seb derm matches what your noticing in your skin. There's some good info here.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/...ermatitis.html

I have seb derm on my face too and use hydrocortisone cream (1% nonflurionated) for a year now without any ill effects. My doctor and derm both swear (i've asked many times!) that this strength is safe to use on my rosacea skin. Generally the idea with hydrocortisone is to use it for a week or so to knock down the inflammation and then to use it is infrequently as possible to stop it flaring. Which for me is a tiny amount every ten days or so.

There are some OTC things to try to, such as Nizoral cream or any of the antidandruff shampoos (either ones with antifungals like head and shoulders or tar based shampoos). They can be harsh on the skin though (especially any of the shampoos) so it really depends how sensative your skin is. So personally I can use nizoral cream on my forehead and nose but i can't on my cheeks.

You'll have to use them continiously for about four weeks to see if they help or not.

Hope that helps

Kate
    My Derm thinks it's Seb Derm, although I don't believe it is, I believe it's Rosacea.

I haven't used the cream because I've heard scary things about it.

And yes my skin is VERY sensitive so it's quite hard to use any products other than what I've found.

Unfortunetly they (rosacea and seb derm) can be interchangeable and quite hard to tell apart. If it is seb derm then the hydrocortisone should make a noticable difference.

I occassioanlly get seb derm flairs and sometimes use hydrocortisone for a few days to clear it up. I wouldn't be happy to use it longterm and so have switched to other methods of control. I find that if I steer clear of dairy products, sugar and fungi and take pau d'arco and even whole garlic cloves then my skin gets pretty good.

Perhaps you would take a picture of the affected area or just try using a test patch for a few days and seeing what happens.