Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RLT, nitric oxide, capillary formation, MUST READ

Default RLT, nitric oxide, capillary formation, MUST READ

I've been using Red Light Therapy since June of 2006 and I'm very pleased with my results. Overall, my flushing has decreased dramatically and my chronic redness is much less. The tone, pore size, and smoothness of my skin is also very improved.
    Now, here is where I'm confused with some research I've come across from a few different sources. A lot of us are familar with the research that suggests Nitric Oxide is higher in patients with Rosacea and is thought to be a great contributing factor to our condition. So, I found that Red Light Therapy improves the metabolism of Nitric Oxide which is obviously good.
    However, (and this is where I'm confused) Red Light Therapy also increases the production of new capillaries which are additional blood vessels. Now, how can this be? How have I seen positive results with RLT if my blood vessels are actually increasing?
    So here's the problem.....Being an advocate of Red Light Therapy, I'm still afraid that what if the increased blood vessel formation from RLT eventually starts to do more harm than good? The funny thing is...and I don't know if it's just me being neurotic, but my flushing has started to gradually come back. It's still so much better than before I started using RLT, but what is I am very slowly starting to regress? I was so happy with RLT, I really hope any fear I have is not true. If someone has any thoughts on this, I'd be very appreciative.
    Below is all the research I found. they're direct quotes. I listed the web sites I got it from. Thanks for reading. -Chris

RLT...."Circulation is increased by increasing the formation of new capillaries, which are additional blood vessels that replace damaged ones." (http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/9346)

"Other researchers are investigating whether abnormal amounts of natural body chemicals may be associated with developing rosacea. For example, nitric oxide a chemical produced mainly in the linings of blood vessels may be overproduced in rosacea patients." (http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/HC/Hori...50,890,00.html)

The therapeutic effects of Red light..."Increases blood capillary circulation and vascular activity by promoting improvement in the metabolism of nitric oxide (NO). This facilitates improved regulation of vasodilation and leads to the formation of new capillaries - this in turn provides additional oxygen and nutrients to accelerate natural tissue healing processes and eventually evokes a cascade of beneficial biochemical processes.

The post made here is by Yankeesrthebest. I don't know why it says "guest." That's strange. But just to let everyone know, I've been posting here for a while.

Great question... this is the only reason I have not tried RLT... nobody has a satisfactory answer to the angiogenesis question.

What's so annoying is that some well-respected doctors have said RLT is okay, but they don't explain why it won't promote angiogenesis. They just give their conclusions without going into detail.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

RLT...."Circulation is increased by increasing the formation of new capillaries, which are additional blood vessels that replace damaged ones." (http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/9346)

My understanding was that our blood vessels are damaged.......so if your growing new ones.....to replace the damaged vessels........that is good?

Well I don't think you're eliminating the old vessels, you're just adding to them.

With IPL, the vessels are actually replaced because you superheat them and they shrivel up and die.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Angiogenesis may not be a bad thing if blood vessels have a suitable enviornment to grow in.

This may be why it takes a long time for RLT to work. As old damaged blood vessels slowly die, new stronger ones come in - whereas IPL you are attempting to kill the damged blood vessels all in one try.

Quote Originally Posted by fut
    As old damaged blood vessels slowly die
    Do blood vessels naturally die off over time? I really don't know.

If they did, you'd think that rosacea would just gradually disappear...
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Quote Originally Posted by Steve95301

Sure they do. About every 120 days.

Rosacea is a cycle of bad events. As skin tries to repair itself, there are other things supressing it. Using harsh topicals is an exmaple of something that helps continue the Rosacea cycle.

Sure they do. About every 120 days.

Rosacea is a cycle of bad events. As skin tries to repair itself, there are other things supressing it. Using harsh topicals is an exmaple of something that helps continue the Rosacea cycle.
    Fut,
    Do you have a link to this, I would love to read about it, as I did not know blood vessels die off in a cycle like that. Could that be a reason bad cyctic acne tends to pop up in the same spots all the time? The damaged vessels die off to be replaced by ones that dont work right either? This is very interesting.

Laura

Angiogenesis may not be a bad thing if blood vessels have a suitable enviornment to grow in.

This may be why it takes a long time for RLT to work. As old damaged blood vessels slowly die, new stronger ones come in - whereas IPL you are attempting to kill the damged blood vessels all in one try.
    Hello Fut

From my own experience and what I have read of others it seems if it's going to work then most start seeing improvements after a month or so. As I have just written on another thread the effects do appear to be cumulative so it can be a couple of years before you see maximum benefit.

If it hadn't been for Nase's blatant scaremongering then maybe "Angiogenesis" isn't something some would have concerned themselves with RLT ? All I know is it worked for me and was the main reason why I put my condition into apparent remission. Like any other rosacea treatment it will no doubt not suit everybody but certainly worth experimenting with if your gut feeling is that it will help. I know there are a few out there now who are pleased that they had the courage to give it a go.

Are you still improving from using your unit?

Thanks

Peter