Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VBeam

Default VBeam

Hi,
    I had VBeam (Candela) 3 days ago. My first laser treatment. Is it normal to still be very red? The swelling has gone down quite a bit but the redness has not decreased. Before my treatment my only symptom was flushing/burning. I had no permanent redness. When I was not flushing my face was pale.
    Also since the VBeam I have a constant low grade heat/burning sensation on my face. Like a moderate sunburn feeling.
    Does anyone know if this will go away i.e. redness caused by VBeam and the heat sensation?
    Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa!!

It looks like we both had our first VBeam treatments on the same day!! I joined this forum specifically to ask about what others had experienced. I definitely feel that the doctor and staff did not at all state realistically what the post-effects would be. I am still so swollen I look like a monster!! All over my face, and over my eyes. My moisturizer keeps running into my eyes and stinging me to tears ... from the BOTTOM of my eyes, that's how swollen my face is.

I'm also still quite red, and yes, I feel sunburned, like a burning sensation too. I decided to have my treatment because several dermatologists (ones without the equipment themselves) told me that this was such a non-invasive safe procedure, and that I was a perfect candidate due to all my broken capillary and blood vessels on my face. I also have about 7 small purple bruises ... and I specifically requested a low setting so I wouldn't bruise. I knew that this would perhaps require more treatments to get an optimum result, but I preferred that slower method.

That being said, I still have faith that when these symptoms do subside (and I believe they will, just that everyone is different with their healing time), I will be glad I did this procedure. To have the full face treatment, I paid $400 (CA), and I know my dermatologist (board certified, 9 years experience with the laser, a woman) wanted me to "get the most bang for my buck". I think that some of us must be more sensitive ... and that our recovery times may take longer. But I doubt our movie stars would look so great all the time if these sorts of symptoms didn't go away!!!! That thought keeps me going right now.

I did call the office the next day to remark about the incredible swelling ... they had told me I'd be back to my normal routine ... and it was only then that they told me that sometimes the swelling and redness can last for up to **2 weeks**!!!!! Seems to me that this sort of thing should be told up front to patients BEFORE they schedule this procedure. I'm now in the process of cancelling all my appointments for the next week as I just can't be seen like this. I'm glad for you that the swelling is going down. Mine is, if anything, getting worse right now, despite 2 days in a row icing.

I send you all my best thoughts and wishes ... and hope both of us will find our faith restored sooner than we are thinking right now.

Hi!
    Thanks for replying. I feel a bit relieved that your dr told you there would be redness after. Mine did not!! She just said swelling. Not only that, after the procedure she didn't even come back to talk to me. Her nurse did but I was less than impressed with the service. My fee was $825! That also was a shock. But more importantly, I do not want to be scarred from this tx. I really am a nervous wreck. I look like an accident victim and I must go back to work Monday. Plus, I didn't tell anyone at work what I was doing so I don't know how to explain.

The most important thing to me though is that this awful redness will go away. So you think this is a normal result of VBeam? I do not have any purple bruises though, so I think she did subpurpuric levels. Is it still normal to be red from that kind of tx??

Thanks again for any insight!
    Melissa

Melissa ... I can truly empathize with you. Sounds like we both weren't really prepared for what this involves. I have about 7-8 smallish but extremely purple bruises ... and my doctor told me she'd do the setting low enough to avoid bruising. What I'm sensing is that everyone really does respond differently to this laser. And that includes recovery time and symptoms. Did you pay out of pocket also?? My doctor did seem concerned that I get the most out of the treatment for my money ... perhaps your doctor also slightly "overdid" your treatment for a similar reason. I'm just guessing here. I'm still hopeful that in a few weeks we will both be absolutely thrilled with our results!!! Right now ... I'm just hiding out from the world. I also wasn't told anything about not taking certain vitamins, sleeping with my head elevated, antihistimines ... absolutely nothing. They told me I could start exercising right away, but since that makes me turn beet red and sweat bullets, I'm just going on instinct here that that might not be such a great idea until I've healed better.

My doctor answered my questions during the procedure, but then that was it also. Since this was my first time, and I'd initially just gone in for a consult ... I really didn't know the questions to ask, obviously. I really truly doubt you (or I) will be scarred by our treatments. There would be much more warnings and things like that if this were the case. I was told I could start wearing makeup after 1 day ... that would help you cover up the redness if you have to be out in public. For me with my severe swelling ... nothing but time is going to help I'm afraid. Please keep me posted how you are doing, okay??

Thanks for sharing your experience.

The sad thing is I thought I was prepared. I had spent countless hours researching, reading all about the different treatments. What I had been planning to get was a Yag 1064 nm tx. My primary derm (at NYU hospital) who doesn't do laser referred me to Dr. Franks who has a great reputation. He said she has all the lasers in her office. And of course when you call the office it is difficult to get specific info (especially when you are not yet a patient). When I went for my consult she informed me she would be doing PDL and that would be best for my sxs. At that point I felt overwhelmed and just wanted something to alleviate my sxs if burning/flushing. So against my better judgement I said OK. I have to listen to my instincts more! Not only that she treated my ears which I knew was a NO NO from Dr. Crouch but I let her. I kept thinking as I was laying there that she is the doctor and must know what she is doing.

And I still cannot locate an experienced derm in NYC for yag laser (Gemini more specifically)! Of course we need about 6-8 weeks before any other txs.

It is extremely frustrating, overwhelming and scary and sometimes you don't know what is the right thing in the moment.

The fee was just insult upon injury and we did pay out of pocket because our health insurance won't cover any laser or light treatment whatsoever. They said there is no proof that is efficient in treating rosacea! Can you believe it? My husband was also not prepared for the amount of money we have already spent on numerous drs, meds etc. This has been and continues to be quite a drain.

Thanks for all your good wishes and right back at you. I wish you speedy healing/ recovery and hope you start feeling good very soon!
    Please keep me posted as well and thanks for the support!

All the best,
    Melissa

Hey you two. I've had various laser treaments over the years with various lasers and they all produce simialr symtoms. Redness, sometimes swelling, sensitve flushing skin, etc. I wouldn't be worried I'm sure that it will calm down a little each day. I recently had low level n-light (pulse dye) laser at a really really low level (for acne and seb derm) and it still m ade me redder for a couple of weeks.

Just make sure that if you swollen then keep your head raised at night time as this will help, leave of anything that could make your skin worse and just try not to worry. Twickle Purple has had vbeam and if you go to her pictures in the photo section then you can see her swelling and side effects. Perhaps you could PM her and she how long she took to recover.

best wishes

PS $800

Thanks Sarah,
    I just wasn't prepared by my dr for the redness and so I was concerned something went wrong. G-d knows, my body doesn't seem to react "normally" to things lately!

Anyway thanks Sarah, you are always such a comfort!

Kind regards,
    Melissa

ps $825!

Hi Melissa:

Just curious how you are doing today!! We're on our day 6 after our first VBeam treatment, so it'd be nice to compare notes. I'm much much better today. I still have some bruising, but my swelling is down (literally ... gone from my eyes to my jowls!!!). I can go about my life without feeling like I look too radically weird. I'm also beginning to see some skin that I haven't seen in many long years because of all my veins ... I can actually visualize how I might look without my rosacea. I still have lots of veins, but I can see a big improvement already. I'm very encouraged, yay!!!

I hope so much that you are also doing well. How's your recovery going today, at almost a week post treatment??

Hi,
    It's great that you're doing so well! I'm thrilled for you.

My swelling is also gone and the redness has decreased but is still present.
    I don't think Vbeam was the best choice for my specific problem of flushing/burning.
    I had no permanent redness before the Vbeam; I was only red when I was flushing. I wanted a treatment that would decrease the frequency and intensity of my flushing and burning. After I heal I am going to see about Yag 1064 nm laser. It works on the deeper feeder vessels which are supposedly responsible for the majority of the flush/burn response.

Keep me posted as to your progress and I'll do the same!!
    Continue with the speedy recovery!

All the best,
    Melissa

Default vbeam

I had vbeam treatments from Dr. Ross Levy in Mt Kisco New York. He even worked with me to give me a coded bill to submit to my insurance company. He charges $500 and does participate with some insurance companies. Of course it was rejected as "experimental". I appealed and won. If anyone would like the material I used I'll be happy to share it. If you lose the appeal you can also take the insurance company to small claims court. I have friends who have done so and also won.
    Eventually the vbeam alone stopped working after one year. I am now using Dr. Bruce Katz in New York City. He does have the vbeam but I asked for the cynosure which gives a combination PDL and Yag. Pretty painful but after 2 treatments I am seeing improvement. I was at a point that I was almost homebound with flushing. I also had bad redness.His basic price was 490.00 but this was just for cheeks. He raised the price to 790 when I added nose and ears.He Will not work with insurance for laser treatments. He is, however, a nice guy but you do have to wait for an appointment- book your treatments way in advance and ALWAYS have to wait for long periods of time after your scheduled appointment because he always runs behind.
    Arlene
    I recently went to visit friends after 8 months of seeing no one. I also went to a movie for the first time in months. I'm still flushing but intensity and frequency are way down.Treatment # 3 tomorrow.

In terms of ears there is a lot of disagreement on this with doctors. I have had my ears treated with success and no ill effect. if your ears are really bothering you I would not be afraid.
    Best of luck
    Arlene