Thread: Any and All Redness is Dilated Blood Vessels?

Default Any and All Redness is Dilated Blood Vessels?

Hey guys,

I was just curious, why is it that for instance when your skin is irritated, it goes red?

Say for example with my seb derm, I know it's an immune response but I mean surely the redness implies there must be increased blood flow and dilated blood vessels right? Why does this happen, what is the body trying to achieve?

Best wishes

Hi red47

I have wondered the same thing myself. What it seems to be is that the body tried to heal damage by increasing the blood flow to area. I'm not sure exactly how the increased blood flow assists healing, or for that matter what healing actaully means at a biochemical level but i assume it does something good!

When i started getting bad flushing I got really curious about why sunburn was red. And what i read is that with sunburn we go red because the UV radiation physically damages the skin and the body responds by increasing blood flow until it heals. So seb derm, rosacea, topical irritation or anything at all that has an inflammatory component can cause a similar end result of dilated capillaries.

Hope that helps.

Very good question.. I believe that is where healing our skin lies. Inflammation is a sign of an active immune system in that area. The immune system, if i remember correctly, will increase heat and blood flow to get more white blood cells in the area. I have read a couple different books with different theories. If I get some more time I'll elaborate more.

Wow that's really interesting, I would very much love to hear your elaborations

Thanks again

Generalized redness does mean increased blood flow, but I think we're talking about tiny capillaries when this happenes--that's why everything looks red and there is no easily visible vasculature. Not sure if telangiectasia is due to permanently dilated/disfunctional capillaries or veins or arteries. Maybe it can include all of them.
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

I was re reading this article and it made me think of your post:

Redness of the skin may be due to an increased amount of saturated hemoglobin, an increase in the diameter or actual number of skin capillaries, or a combination of these factors.2
    http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/...g/flushing.htm

Flushing is due to increased blood flow through the skin, causing warmth, and because of engorgement of the subpapillary venous plexus, redness.
    The vasodilatation of flushing may be due to a direct action of a circulatory vasodilator substance, for example histamine, or it may be caused by changes in the neurological control of the cutaneous vasculature in the affected areas. In the face, neck, and upper trunk, where flushing is most frequent, the neurological control of vascular tone is predominantly exerted by autonomic vasodilator nerve fibers. These fibers are found in somatic nerves supplying the affected skin, including the trigeminal nerve. Since autonomic nerve fibers also supply eccrine sweat glands, neurally activated flushing is frequently associated with sweating (wet flushing) as opposed to flushing due to circulating vasodilator mediators which frequently does not involve sweating (dry flushing). The presence or absence of sweating has therefore been proposed as a clinical guide to the mechanisms of flushing, although in practice this is not always reliable. Examples of wet flushing are physiological flushing and menopausal flushing. An example of dry flushing is niacin-provoked flushing.1

The diameter of the blood vessels of the cheeks is wider than elsewhere, the vessels are nearer to the surface, and there is less tissue thickness obscuring them. This may explain why flushing occurs in that limited distribution