Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facial Flushing vs Facial Blushing

Default Facial Flushing vs Facial Blushing

Could anyone explain the difference between blushing and flushing? I think blushing happens with non-rosaceans too right?

Thank you indeed

Well, I can't give you a medical run down but yes, everyone blushes...when they are embarrassed or similar.

Flushing, as far as I understand lasts a lot longer. Sometimes it can be felt...a warm feeling...sometimes stinging or burining feeling. Really, the only way I know I am flushing is because I can feel it, or if someone 'helpful' *cough* makes comment on how red my face has become over a period of time! Got to love the helpful folks out there, NOT! Blah!

Anyway, I would like to hear what others think on this topic too as it interests me. I was quite confused about it for a while but think that I understand it now?

Jen

I agree with blushing being caused by embarrassment, self-consciousness, whereas flushing is down to the many triggers that we have to try and avoid: environment, certain foods/drinks etc.

One other difference i would add (for me anyway) is; a rosacea flush comes on gradually, blushing is like a sudden surge.

Ah yes I think I see, so is blushing like that sharp hot feeling that quickly sweeps across your face and forehead and then disappears just as quick, say when you're embarassed and the like?

Okay so, would you say that a blush often leads to a flush in rosaceans?
    And, if you are a rosacean who suffers from flushing, are you more likely to blush in the heat of the moment where non-rosaceans may not?

Best Wishes

Well, yes, I think a blush comes and goes pretty quickly. A flush will last longer. I'm not sure that blushing will lead to flushing though. Sometimes I blush, sometimes it's a flush.

I don't know if Rosies are more likely to blush. I really think that comes down to one's own personal traits. That is, whether one gets embarrassed etc easily.

Not sure if this makes sense or not? Again, it would be good to get others input and thoughts on this.

Jen

This is an interesting, although technical, article about blushing/flushing

http://skin-care.health-cares.net/skin-blushing.php

Blushing is caused solely by abnormal hypothalamic activity, sympathetic nerve activation and altered receptors in the face.

In its purest form, blushing is simply a reaction to embarrasment. It may evolve into more though as everyone knows.

JJ

Thanks for the replies guys

I was thinking, surely if lasers/IPL remove blood vessels to reduce flushing, wouldn't that naturally also work against blushing.. if the vessels aren't there then you can't (..show the outwards signs of a..) blush?

Kind regards

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Blushing is caused solely by abnormal hypothalamic activity, sympathetic nerve activation and altered receptors in the face.

In its purest form, blushing is simply a reaction to embarrasment. It may evolve into more though as everyone knows.

JJ
    Indeed, I think that is the assumed definition - a blush is facial redness, transient in nature, occuring in response to embarassment.

But as a rosacean, I know that I can blush without embarassment. The sensation of a blush, that quick rush of warmth, can result from many triggers - stepping into a warm room, eating something hot, bending down to quickly etc.

Rosacea flushing, to me atleast, both looks, feels and behaves completely differently to blushing. While I do blush, I dont find it particularly distressing. A minor inconvience. I find my flushing to be the main symptom and by far the most detrimental to my life.

BB

Me too, Bob.

Blushing tends to go away - a flush can last for hours. Flushing is awful.

I might try the botox route with beta blockers for my flushing..... after trying the z-cream.

This is such a complicated and ANNOYING disease!!!!!