Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: not sweating anhidrosis- is there a treatment

Default not sweating anhidrosis- is there a treatment

I realised fairly recently, that I really don't sweat liek other people do. My face has never even got moist in dry hot rooms - I would just burn and millions of bumps would appear. I always thought this was because I have fair, "rosaceal" skin, but someone told me that this is actually a condition... anhidrosis.

Has anyone heard of this? or do you know if there is a treatment that can make one sweat more.... (!)?

Default Anhidrosis

I have actually been diagnosed with anhidrosis at The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. It is an autonomic nervous system dysfunction. Thus far, I have found no treatment. However, I think there could be treatments depending on the cause and extent of your anhidrosis. The top dr in the country for this is Dr. Robert Fealey at Mayo. He runs a sweat lab where they can test you. Hope this helps.
    Meg

Default Re: not sweating anhidrosis- is there a treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina
    I realised fairly recently, that I really don't sweat liek other people do. My face has never even got moist in dry hot rooms - I would just burn and millions of bumps would appear. I always thought this was because I have fair, "rosaceal" skin, but someone told me that this is actually a condition... anhidrosis.
    i rarely see people with sweat on their face in hot rooms (hot in terms of superheated not sauna temperatures) and i doubt that sweating would be of much help in such situations (for rosaceans).

Angelina,

Not sweating normally is just another symptom of demodex mites. The mites so block the follicles in the skin that not only does sebum not flow normally, but sweat does not flow normally either.

You wrote: I would just burn and millions of bumps would appear....

You are describing classic symptoms of demodex. I can certainly relate to your description. I have always known that my extreme flushing and burning was made even more extreme because of my inablility to sweat on my face. Once I began treating myself for demodex I have very slowly regained some ability to sweat on the face (and I'm sure this has been one of the factors in reducing my flushing).

For instance, everyday now after my 10 minute walk from the train station to my office, I have sweat on my upper lip! I'm still getting used to this, after decades of never sweating on my face.

Demodex can be a difficult parasite to treat. The best place to start is reading the www.demodexsolutions.com site. The acarid removing soap and the zhongzhou ointment the site sells are the products I've used with great success. Sometimes, I am absolutely astonished at how beautiful my skin is now compared with how disfigured and painful it used to be. I am not cured of demodex/rosacea, but have gotten to the point I now rarely have any blemishes (thanks to the zz ointment) and my flushing is greatly reduced (thanks to both the zz ointment and using a red/infrared light every day).

Also, check out this thread. It has amazing before and after photos from using the zz ointment: http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=3669

Good luck to you.

Heather

I've had rosacea for close to ten years and very shortly after it's onslaught, I noticed that my face wasn't sweating anymore. I'm pretty sure it used to sweat before developing rosacea.

After many IPL and various other treatments, I've finally gotten my rosacea to the point where I can do some light to moderate exercise on a treadmill and while I sweat along my hairline and my neck and throat, my face remains perfectly dry.

I never had the "p&p" type of rosacea before so I've never considered treatment for demodex. Thanks, Heather, I'm going to read those links and learn more about it.

Meg, is your anhidrosis related to rosacea or a separate condition? Does it just affect your face?

Glad you asked that question Angelina, I've been wondering about this for quite some time.

Many thanks.

Default Anhidrosis

My anhidrosis is total body, according to the sweat tests I've had done. My face has severe painful flushing, which is also an autonomic nervous system dysfunction. So, I think they are related. I do not have traditional rosacea, more the severe flushing, which as I said is extremely painful. I believe the flushing and anhidrosis started around the same time and are related.
    Meg

I'm sorry it's so painful, Meg. Do traditional rosacea treatments bring you any relief for this condition? Have you tried Red Light Therapy?

Default Anhidrosis

Thanks Chelsea. Unfortunately, nothing has helped, traditional or untraditional. I have tried RLT, innumerable photoderm, other lasers, topicals, prescription meds and many alternative txs, too. I think my case is very rare and is sort of a cross between Erythromelalgia (EM) and severe vascular rosacea.

Meg

I've wondered about the relationship between not sweating on the face, and rosacea, also. I sweat on my forehead, but nowhere else on my face. I only have rosacea symptoms from below my eyes to my chin.

Interesting. Has anyone else experienced anhidrosis (inability to sweat) on their faces since developing rosacea or regained the ability to sweat once their rosacea symptoms were under control?