Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Derms Actually Treat Skin Disease Any More?

Default Do Derms Actually Treat Skin Disease Any More?

I am feeling so frustrated trying to find a dermatologist who is dedicated to treating skin diseases and not focused on botox and dermabrasion, or whatever other cosmetic treatments they can fill their appointments with.
    I feel like little old me with my skin diseases, Rosacea, SD, and Psoriasis is a second class patient compared to their full paying botox patients.
    I go to a huge dermatology practice here in my area, they have at least 6 doctors. But it seems whenever I have an emergency that I can't get an appointment for 6-8 weeks. And I'm guessing it has to be because they are so booked up with full paying cosmetic treatments that they don't have time for me and my measly insurance contract payments.
    I have tried 3 other smaller dermatologist offices over the past year, and all of them were not what I would call the sharpest knives in the drawer, one of them actually said I didn't even have Rosacea, that I just had "physiological flushing?" WHAT? Does that mean it's all in my head?
    This last time I had a emergency, I had all these sores show up around my eyes, I could barely open my eyes, plus at the same time my new condition of Psoriasis showed up on my elbows and I was freaked out and tried to get in for an appointment and all the 6 docs were booked for nearly 2 months! I begged to see anyone, and they put me in with a Physicians Assistant? She misdiagnosed pretty much everything, gave me 3 different steroidal creams and sent me on my way. I finally ended up going to some new and mean old derm I had never met who diagnosed me with a "contact allergy" on my eyes. Spent the time with me to figure out through a process of elimination that I was using some old eye make up that had bacteria in it, and I threw it all away and used a mild dose of cortisone cream for a couple days and it all cleared up.

So I guess my question is this. Is anyone else feeling the same frustration of being a second class citizen with their dermatologist/
    And do any derms actually devote themselves to treating skin disease and is not being sucked into the payoff of 100% paying cosmetic patients? Other than my skin problems I am an extremely healthy person which makes my dermatologist my most important doctor in my life. I need to know they are there for me in an emergency to treat me.
    Just my opnion....needed to vent! Roxanne

Hi Roxanne,

I completely understand your frustration. Derms seem to specialize now on treating 'aging', it seems to be the new skin disease -- with the best monetary rewards. :evil:

Having said that, the only good treatment I've received so far (where I live presently) has been with a 'beauty' derm. Because I pay, I get in.

A sad sign of the times.

Best wishes,
    Twickle Purple

Happiness is a choice.

frustrated redder

Default Derma and NRS is useless.

i totally agree with yr comments. most of the derms are pathethic when it comes to rosacea treatment. all they r interested in making money through theses cosmetic procedures. even the insurance copanies dont pay for the ipl which is the best tx to control it. hate these derms. the NRS is useless.

Default Re: Do Derms Actually Treat Skin Disease Any More?

Quote Originally Posted by flareface
    So I guess my question is this. Is anyone else feeling the same frustration of being a second class citizen with their dermatologist/
    Hi Roxanne

After two visits with the Derm who visits my town every quarter, I decided that I knew more about Rosacea than he did. There was nothing that he could offer me, other than antibiotics and laser. Personally, I don't believe Rosacea is a skin disorder. Yes, the symptoms present on the face yet we are still pretty much left in the dark as to what causes it.

There are many theories out there as to what the possible cause(s) are but I don't believe a Derm is the right type of doc to see for a solution. I wish I could say who would be the right type of doctor...sigh! I believe it has to be something from within but we are left to do the leg work ourselves.

Ah, sorry...this isn't a positive reply. I don't know the answers and also get fed up! Perhaps one positive is that we can all eventually find the best regime to keep the beast under control until the cause(s) and a cure is found.

Jen
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

While I dont have experience with derms, I do with gastrointestinal docs. I have IBS, and was bounced around from one doctor to another, batteries of tests that were not at all pleasant, (they did have to rule out crohn's disease) all to be given the same diagnosis and same meds, which made me sicker that I was to begin with. I was told it was in my mind, too much stress, and they refered me to a physiatrist, I went , and got prescribed MORE drugs. I stopped at that, just got to fed up.

Laura

Pardon my terrible spelling, I was in a tirade mode.

Laura

Default RRDi

I have been around the rosacea support group community since 1999 and the one of the most common complaints has always been how frustrated rosacea patients are with physicians. Of course, this is only one of the complaints and a long list has developed over how frustrating and confusing this disease is.

The complaints went about as far as the various rosacea support groups but a phenomenon developed when r-s grew into thousands of members. r-s probably is one of the most influential rosacea support groups on planet earth. If you know of a bigger one, please name it. This group is number two. Some professionals, including physicians actually listened to r-s and posted replies to rosaceans questions and frustrations. The impact of a group of rosaceans cannot be underestimated. Professionals listen. Not all, but some.

But that is about as far as it went. Then, because of the nature of the humans, the professionals have just about all left r-s and the other support groups due to the inflamatory posts from rude and impolite posters who care little about showing any respect to anyone. That is, of course, one of the risks of joining a support group. The 'support' can turn into aggression.

Early on I could see that other than r-s and the other support groups there was no organization that would listen to rosaceans. Look at the list of non profit organizations for rosacea:

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/nonprofits.html

Now try to get one of those organizations to listen to your frustration. The only one is the top of the list, the RRDi. It is made up of mostly volunteer rosaceans and other volunteers who do not have rosacea. I founded this organization because it is clearly seen that something has to be done to hear the voice of frustrated rosaceans. There are professionals in the health care field that will listen to rosaceans' concerns. One of the mission statement's goals is to be the first non profit organization for rosacea patient advocacy.

My dream is that someday the RRDi will have a list of physicians that agree to RRDi policy to listen to rosaceans' frustrations and have a review process so that the RRDi could recommend a physician. This could be done if we have enough members in the RRDi. Low numbers of members are not listened to. Thousands of members perk up ears. Many physicians may want an RRDi approval for their practice if we bring them patients.

My other dream is to have the MAC come together in one location and have a convention of rosaceans present to listen to our concerns and help rosaceans with all this frustration. But how do you bring together a group of physicians into one location and have them listen to us?

Physically bringing together a group of physicians is a daunting challenge requiring much effort and money. But bringing them together into an internet forum that will respect their views and posts is quite possible. The RRDi has done that. However, the membership is 150 members as of today's date and unless we get more members, this process of listening to rosaceans will be slower unless this changes.

Volunteering is the force that drives the RRDi. If you want to do something the main thing you can do is join. You don't have to volunteer, all you do is join and the membership is what professionals look at. If all you can do is encourage others to join, that would be an incredible volunteer spirit. If you want to join:

http://www.irosacea.org

I am finished with my soapbox and turn this over to the other frustrated rosaceans.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Great post Brady and thank you for all of your hard work!

I joined the RRDi early last year, hoping that I could help in some small way and I am glad that I did join. Whilst I haven't been able to find the cure (I sooo wish!), at least I am part of a team of wonderful people who have the same goal of trying to help to find the cure for Rosacea! It's all very positive and I would also encourage others here to join.

Last year, I read with interest what the MAC had to say and infact I made good friends with some of the MAC members, off the RRDi Forum. This, to me, says that hearts and minds are in the right place.

I tell you what, if I won Lotto, I would happily fly all the MAC and RRDi members to Hawaii for a 'Face to Face'! Honestly, I would! I won Lotto before (second division...along with several others...paid for my wedding) but first division...absolutely!

Anyway, I'll step down off my soap box now too!

Jen
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Yep, a visit to the dermatologist can at times be a frustrating and demoralizing affair. I often wonder what percentage of Derms actually specialize in rosacea. I checked out the bios of some of the consultants in my local health authority. Such conditions as: Atopic dermatitis, chronic urticaria, skin cancer were catered for, but no mention of rosacea anywhere. I fear that our `Creeping Disfigurement` is still the poor relation of the skin ailment family, regarded as nothing more than a cosmetic nuisance.

rosacea is all in your head....either that or to much coffee...