Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My experiences with the infamous ZZ cream so far

Sorry if my remarks sounded condescending towards those who are trying that treatment, wasn't my purpose to do so. I just believe that the zz cream might not be all that scientific.

It really seems to work for folks though and anything that works is a gift sometimes, you know? I've read about it here, on the RSG, and other places, and seeing the positive changes on HenClouds face was really the best testimonial. He also used the acarid soap and he did an overhaul of his diet at the same time, which is something to consider. A member here that has the red flushing type of rosacea recently did post that she got a diagnosis of mite 'overpopulation'. This is why I am very interested to see how it does for akas. The mite theory can almost be the chicken or the egg argument: which came first? But, if this stuff helps then Yahoo!! I looked into it recently and I didn't find it all that expensive when compared to the preparations and beauty products that are out there, especially when compared to Rx's. The post from HongKong is very quick and a flat rate of $14 to most destinations. They promise about 3-4 days to the US, pending customs clearance of course.

Happiness is a choice.

Default ZZ cream

It is true that I have never been tested for mites and probably more of the ZZ cream users have never been tested for mites either. However, as you pointed out the ZZ cream has sublimed sulphur as many other rosacea products contain sulphur and possibly this is the factor that helps control rosacea. You can compare how many rosacea products have sulphur in it at this url >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/ingredients.html

Whether the mites are the factor in anyone's rosacea is a questions for further research since as you have pointed out all the reports of the ZZ cream users' success are merely anecdotal and not scientifically establshed. I have found one 'scientific paper' about the ZZ cream but it wasn't done by Americans and you can read it here >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/z8.html

Depending on your view of Chinese clinical studies, here is another one >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/z9.html

The AMA doesn't have a friendly view of Chinese non prescription and prescription products which sometimes uses American Pharmaceutical companies' research and development and doesn't respect American copyright and trademark laws, mass producing fake 'prescription drugs' just like fake copies of CDs and DVDs. However, not all Chinese firms are breaking the law and the Zhongzhou Pharmaceutical Company is legit.

And the anecdotal reports coming in that support the success of the ZZ cream seem to be solid enough.

Brady

Quote Originally Posted by sweden
    ZZ cream makes me laugh...sorry but how many of the people using it have been tried for the mites? None!!! People don't even find out if they have demodex mites in the first place, and I seriously doubt many have it more than what is considered normal. ZZ cream has sulphur in it, sulphur occasionally works against acne, is this cause it takes away demodex mites?...give me a break. I bet any acne remedy with sulphur in it works just as much against oilyness as that overprized bogus ZZ cream..sorry but come on guys.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

No offence taken Sweden (well OK, maybe for a minute)
    I am a scientific minded person as well, and perhaps its not based completly in scientific theory as such, but reading the progress of others on this board I believe its worth a try.
    Twickle, pending customs is right, mine is STILL sitting somewhere awaiting inspection, 2 days now. *sigh* oh well, I am a patient person.

Sorry that was a bit vague, not 2 days since it being ordered, 2 days of sitting waiting for clearance in customs, but I understand the caution needed these days.

well I believe the testimonials from people on this board, but for example, the person who sells the zz cream has a board on his site, and there some people had used the cream for 6 months without results, but they were still encouraged to keep using it because "it takes 6-15 months (or something like that) to fully kill the mites so they cant keep on 'breeding' (or whatever the term might be for these small beings)". I think this is total bs, and many people on that board seemed somewhat paranoid about how these mites could possible spread from person to person. One guy believed he got a breakout due to the mites, cause the previous day he had accidently shaken hands with someone at the gym who happened to have alot of acne...Other people on that board (none who had ever been tested for the mites) were told by the seller that the tinglie feeling they got on their face just after putting on the zz cream, was due to the mites moving around in panic, dying from the cream. Well, I think this is ridiculous, but if the zz cream is not more expensive than other similar treatments I guess it doesn't matter.

Im am going on the testimonials of this board, not of the one on the website. I never trust those on any product website, after all they are trying to sell their product, they are not going to post a lot of negative stuff! I agree its silly to think you can "catch" acne from shaking hands with someone. But that other comment made me laugh, I have this visual in my head now of little mites running around and screaming in panic, lol.

Laura

Ok the cream and soap have arrived (considering the holiday, and being held up at customs, not a bad shipping time at all)
    Have used the acarid soap and applied the zz cream for the first time. The soap is nice, foams up nicley, got my skin clean without stripping it. The cream, as Akas said, does make your eyes water for a few minutes, it gets very, for lack of a better term, mentholated, when applied. It didn't cause me any discomfort other than that, did feel very tingley for a few minutes, but I didn't get any burning, more a cool sort of feel. Its kind of hard to apply, it dries quick and leaves streaks, but Im sure thats just a matter of getting used to applying any new topical.
    An hour after applying, I feel no ill effects, as opposed to Akas it does feel a bit heavy on my face, but I think I put too much on (again, trial and error)
    So will keep you all posted how it goes!

Laura

Hi I just wanted to say I haven't run away or anything. I got pictures but am out of my home city right now because of job and even though I have the digicam with me I forgot to take the USB-cable with me so I am unable to take anything out of the cam. I will be back late tomorrow so I will post tomorrow, or on saturday.

To Brady Barrows:

Thanks for the tips. While I'm only applying it every night now after having used it twice the first 7-8 days, I do think I'm using too much when I apply it... sort of have the better too much than too little attitude. I haven't been moisturizing regularly so I'll try to do some more of that too.

Having said all that, the redness caused by the ointment seems to have gone down a bit. It's like my skin has adjusted more to the dry skin or something. Skywolf you said it feels a bit heavy on your face, and maybe that will not change, but maybe it is possible your skin will get more used to it after a while as well so that it does not feel as heavy... who knows!

Otherwise not much to report really. The first improvement happened quickly as I reported already in my first post, I suspect the next "level" of improvement will take more time than the first improvement (yes I realize it's all gradual and there are no clear levels but I hope you understand what I mean).

I almost gave up on the pictures after seeing the results. My digicam (in reality the cam on my PDA) is simply not good enough to give good pictures. But I can still post even though they don't really tell what I wanted them to tell. But better than nothing I would think.

Before treatment:
    http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/780...7927554_rs.jpg
    A few days ago:
    http://aycu01.webshots.com/image/976...4865548_rs.jpg

My pores are really big on my nose but on these pics they're invisible. Also, my nose is slightly bumpy. Both these factors which don't show on the pics mean the nose is actually considerably worse than these pictures manage to show.

I would like to say some important things about the second pic:

It is actually the same lightbulb (all regular lightbulbs in house are same) but light is shining more directly on my face and there's a difference in where the camera is / angles (shadows) and all that stuff [that I really don't know a lot about]. But even with the light advantage you can still figure it has improved. The thing is before my nose was red all over the place. Now I see that some patches on it look normal-ish (except the pores) while some remain reddish. But the improvement is not as big as the pictures make it seem. Also the second picture is right after I washed off the zz ointment. It is sort of strange because my skin actually seems to tolerate water better now. Before, after washing my face, my skin would turn bright red (a semi-flush, if that makes sense). Now, it actually looks the best right after washing it. But after a while after washing, it does turn a bit redder.

The more I study the nose the more I come to the conclusion that the redness has diminished actually more than I've described so far on this board. I was just being a little cautioness before. I'm not basing this on these pictures as they're not good and different settings. But I've done something when I came back that I haven't done while under treatment, that is look in mirror when outside (bright outside lighting). The thing is, before my skin would look the worst when I was outside. While inside it was red, outside it became more purple-reddish and it just looked horrible (like my nose and area around was bruised). I hated to look in the mirror in outdoor light because it looked very freakish (so I did not went outside without makeup). Now, it actually looks... not so freakish. The purple-ness is not there anymore, and frankly, it looks much, much better in outdoor light. Indoor light I don't see the same big improvement but I do see it is clearly better (but not as much as pictures seem to indicate).

I have no doubts that my skin has improved quite a bit but I wanted to prove this definitely with pictures but these pictures are not good enough to do that. So not a very scientific approach and I fully understand if not everyone is willing to believe me with dodgy pictures and everything but this is what you get so you decide for yourself if I'm being sincere in what I write or not.

Last note: I'm actually wondering, because of that water thing, if my flushing has been reduced. But I have not been able to test that much yet. I will have to wait for some really spicy food some day soon to determine that.