Thread: Besides Rosacea and SD, anything else out there?

Default Besides Rosacea and SD, anything else out there?

Howdy,

First I'd like to thank those on this forum who helped me out both when I posted my intro last week and back in the summer. I think I can safely rule out having Rosacea as I have none of the flushing or "triggers" that tends to come with the disease (really hot showers turns my back red but not my face heh). Basically the skin on my face is always dry and itchy (it is really bad, when I don't use moisterizer I can barely move my face without pain) and sometimes burns. I have some pinkness/redness on my face, which seems to be pretty constant (it's hard for me to tell though what part of my redness isn't from my acne scarring). I was pointed to the SD direction when I posted last week (and over the summer too I believe) but again I'm kinda confused about some of my symptoms compared to SD when I researched it further. I figured I could try some anti-fungal meds to see if the condition improved, but when doing research into that I found out that the active ingredients in both Plexion and Klaron (which I currently use for acne) are anti-fungal agents (I've been using Plexion since 2001 so I think I've given it some good time to work). Nizoral didn't help either when I got prescribed that a while back. My current derm doesn't think I have rosacea, but hasn't brought up SD either. She is taking the skin irritant approach, but I dunno what could be irritating my skin. Last summer I quit using all my meds (Plexion and Metrogel) and my skin exploded into horrible acne and the dryness/itchyness and burning got much worse. I also got some bad scarring from the acne that has not even begun to fade (it's 7 months later). I'm now using Klaron, Plexion (sometimes) and Tazorac, and while my acne is pretty good, the way my skin feels still sucks. It seems alot of people here use a change of diet to help with SD, but diet doesn't seem to do anything for me. I've tested this out buy having nothing but diary and junk food on certain days to see how my skin would react, but it doesn't change (Sometimes having lots of dairy in the past like when I would eat mexican food would actually help my face I think, or at least not make it worse). I've also tried not eating any dairy or junk food and still, no dang change. The only thing I can do to my face that'll make it worse is put water on it. Water will dry the crap out of it (to the point that I cannot move it without putting moisterizer on, which doesn't fix the pain). I havn't been able to go swimming in pools since high school cause of this reaction. My face also peels in areas that the skin moves. Like when I floss before putting moisterizer on, the skin around around my mouth will flake very badly (especially around the sides where I have to pull the skin to get the floss between my back teeth). Again moisterizers tend to keep the peeling at bay, but doesn't fix the dryness fully, and can sometimes make the itchyness worse. The itchyness affects all areas of my face, my scalp sometimes, and my neck. Occasionally I get some mild flaking on my upper arms and on my chest by my armpits, but it is very mild. My scalp flakes sometimes but nothing very bad, and my neck looks perfectly normal (not red, never peels, doesn't feel dry). I also have very tiny spider veins on and around my nose. However I also have these spider veins on my chest, stomach, and upper arms. It is the worst on my stomach. I may have gotten some of them from straining my body at times during my life (I did varsity gymnastics in high school and tend to tense my body extremely bad when really stressed out). Oh yeah and stress doesn't seem to have any effect on the way my skin feels. It seems I have absolutely no triggers of any kind except for water contact (and water makes my skin feel good as long as it is physically on my face, the dryness comes after the water dries off my face). I used to think that chlorine water was what was doing it, but the water at my g/f's house is from a well (no chemicals) and it still does the same dang thing. On good days my face is tolerable, and on bad days my face is unbearable and I find it hard to have a normal life. Is there anything else this could be? BTW I have very oily skin on my face, and pretty bad back acne. Acne, SD, and rosacea do not run in my family at all. Is it possible that previous acne meds could have permanently altered my face? My face was fine until I started on my first acne treatment. It was this thick white stuff in a tub that you had to store in the fridge. I think it was benzamycin. It made my face feel this way. The symptoms went away when I quit using it but I remember on a family vacation a couple years after I had a relapse like this, and at the time I was on no meds. The symptoms again vanished and didn't return until slowly after high school. Any help would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

-Brian

The trouble is is that there are so many skin problems that it could be a whole vairety of things. To me it still sounds like abit of seb derm mixed in with a few other issues. Unfortunately none of us here are going to be of much help. At best we can advise you on rosacea/seb derm but that about it. If you aren't happy with your meds you need to go back to your derm and either discuss it with them or asked to be referred to a consultant derm.

It seems logical that your current creams and the ones in the past have affected your skin. Certainly the ones I have used over the years for acne permanently affected my skin. My advice would be to stop using every cream (if its harsh) and go back to the derm and ask for some antibitics for your acne instead.

Did you have a look at the web site that I linked in my other message, perhaps you have someothing like psoriasis

http://www.dermnetnz.org/scaly/psoriasis-general.html

Mind you I could be completly wrong.

Sarah

Both Plexion and Klaron are anti-biotics. They work good at clearing acne though tazorac seems to be what's helping the most with the acne. I did try going off all meds last summer and it made every aspect of my condition worse unfortunately. I'm not sure what other meds to try though. The only reason why I'm on Tazorac right now is cause I tried everything else already that my derm wanted to precribe from the retinoid family (Retin-A, Differin). If I remember correctly Retin-A didn't do anything for my acne at the time and Differin did something odd to my skin that made me scratch it during sleep (I quit using it after I woke up bleeding one morning). I could go on oral anti-biotics as they may work now (didn't when I was a teen). That'd be a good test to see if I can fight back the acne while just using moisterizer or something to see if my skin gets better. unfortunately you can't take oral anti-biotics forever heh. I've thought about psoriasis too, which may explain why Tazorac works so well with my acne as it is a psoriasis med, but I dunno. I know that this is a Rosacea forum too but I dunno where else to go. I guess I gotta figure out what I have first. I did look at the link you posted about SD. Alot of my symptoms do match, but it seems that things that should make SD better (using plexion/klaron and diet changes) don't really work for me, which just confuses me even more. The itchyness too affects my whole face, which includes areas that are never red, which is odd. I guess back to the derm for me. Thanks for trying to help though! I'll see if I can find that Pau D'arco and see if that helps any.

-Brian

Hmmm you are a mystery aren't you! What about roaccutane (orally) for your acne. I took it and it worked for the spots but made my rosacea worse.

The closest I can think is Twickle Purple, she seems to have skin issues other than her face. You may like toread her posts. She has had great success using red light therapy.

Perhaps others can be of more help.

Sarah

heh, yep I mystify myself daily ;) This morning after showering I found that water was causing my face to burn, but now I feel better than I did on saturday when I had no initial burning. What's the difference between Roaccutane and Accutane? I always thought Roaccutane was for Rosacea. I've thought about going the accutane route as supposedly it reduces sebum output permanently, but everytime I look into it on the net I come across these stories of permanent skin damage and stuff. I looked into what Twickle Purple has, which seems to be rosacea, but with some of the same pain as what I get. My face doesn't flush though, and doesn't get more red even when I have this pain. I'm thinking I may have psoriasis. I may not notice the flaking on my face as I moisterize constantly, but it may explain why I flake when doing stuff like floss. I've suspected for a while that moisterizing only hides the flakes. The pics of psoriasis don't really match what I look like, but the link you posted stated that most people have a mild case and some don't notice it. I do have redness in my elbows and knees that is always there, along with some flaking. I ignore it cause it doesn't itch or hurt any. However I dunno if it's possible to have psoriasis areas on my skin without actually having psoriasis. Does anyone on this forum have psoriasis? I know it's a rosacea forum but for the past five years I thought I had rosacea and we all know how reliable Derms can be at diagnosing things :evil: Thanks for continuing to reply to my questions though! I know we have issues but it does help me on the emotional level at least Skin problems can really be taxing on the emotional self.

-Brian

*I meant to say toward the bottom that we both have different issues, as to say that my symptoms vary from yours but you still try to help me anyways. I do appreciate that. Though I havn't made much headway from my visits with my new derm, I do like going to her cause she listens to me when I talk to her. It gives me optimism at least

-Brian

Brian

That last bit made me laugh 'we have issues'-thought I was in some sort of marriage counselling session for a second

I have just been prescribed Elidel for my seb derm. I haven't used it yet though as I'm too scared to give it ago. Maybe you could get some as it might be okay for your skin, it isn't a steroid cream.

Accutane and roaccutane are the same thing. I think roaccutane is just a brand name. My understanding is that even at a lower dose (5-10mg) per day will still work for acne, you just stay on it for longer (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not recommending it but it is an option.

I know what you mean about moisturiser hiding the flakiness. My skin is permantly flaking but because I pat it dry it flatterns it down so you can't see it.

It almost seems that you need to go through all of the possible skin conditions and note down what treatmetns/ lifestyle changes would suit all of them and give it ago for a few months. I think that if you could stick to a good diet (maybe dairy free, lots of veg and whole grain carbs, water) for a while you will see a gradual improvement.

I understand what you mean about talking to others. I love that other people can give you hope or start you down a new road or are just there to listen. Unfortunately I have a feeling that it may be just me trying to help as often people don't have the time to read long posts and ofcourse won't post if they feel they have nothing to add.

Finally how about red light therapy? TP has been using it not just for her rosacea but also for her eczema? with great success. Many others here also use it will great benefit.

Many happy new year wishes. I'm sure that this year will see an improvement in your skin.

Sarah

Howdy,

After more research I still havn't come up with anything solid yet. Psoriasis seems to make sense in terms of my elbows and knees, but not my face (and my body skin for the most part doesn't irritate me). SD would seem to make a bit more sense for my face, but not after I take out the symptoms I gained after going on Tazorac. Also the itchyness I sometimes get in my nose folds seems to be caused by acne that comes up or extreme dryness. Last week I had bad itchyness there and noticed that my skin had cracked in the fold. My lip cracked too the next day bleh. My face burns now whenever I put on my moisterizer (Cetaphil), and my flaking is getting much worse on my face (around my mouth and around my eyebrows). Before Tazorac I only seemed to have the peel on my mouth area only. Unfortunately Tazorac is working wonders for my acne, so I'm gonna stay on it until I can get back into my derm again. I'm also beginning to wonder if the whole reason why my skin got worse after going off my meds in the summer was because I switched to Cetaphil cleanser and some salicylic acid based face wash. After going on tazorac I found that the cetaphil face cleanser makes my skin burn and itch pretty bad. I'd go off everything again if it wasn't for the massive breakouts that would come. That scares me bad. I dunno, I've looked into Elidel but some places list that as being dangerous (I dunno why though - something about skin cancer). I would try accutane too if it wasn't for the side effects and length of time you have to be on it for LD. Red Light therapy seems interesting though. I'll look more into it. Hopefully all I need is a red light bulb and not something more complex lol. When looking into Psoriasis it seems UV light works with that. Seems funny too as UV light is supposed to be bad for skin.

-Brian

Have had breast cancer and received chemotherapy and five years of Tamoxifen....my five years were up in August.... then my rosacea symptoms got worse....am wondering now if there is a connection.....will discuss with derm in march, but don't expect much from her..... have alot of experience with docs that don't care/dismiss concerns....*sigh*
    carol