Thread: Success: My Latest Derm Visit

Default Success: My Latest Derm Visit

So I went and saw a new dermatologist in my town a few days ago. Usually I don't see derms because I think they're mostly bull**** but the ad in the phone book said he specialized in eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitises of the skin. So, I went and saw him for my steroid-induced rosacea and mainly seborrheic dermatitis. He prescribed my Rosac and Ovace gels. He said do a test with both sides of your face, rosac on one and ovace on the other. So it has been about a week and my skin has never looked so good since I've had this disease. I stopped using the rosac, it made my skin greasy and more red. But the ovace is excellent. I can keep my skin from breaking out and keep it looking relatively clear NO MATTER WHAT I EAT. Which is crazy, because before I used the stuff, I could keep my face pretty clear but I had to eat very strict. I can now go eat pizza and drink a few beers and be totally okay as long as I put the ovace on my skin. I would recommend trying it to a few people on the board that I know have been struggling with SD for a while (Buster, francois, to name a couple) and try it out for a week. Anyways, I'll post an update in a week. Hope it lasts! - Jordan

great news man. Cant wait for the update

almost makes me want to go to a derm again!! hope it goes more than well for you!

Hi Jordan,
    very good news! I'm happy that you found something that is helping you. It's always good to read news like this.

Hey Jordan,

Good to hear that you eventually found something working for you.

I have seb derm on my scalp. forehead, eye brows, nose and beard area.

Since my skin is very sensitive, I cant really use anti-dandruff shampoos on my face as doctors suggest me to. Rather, I was looking for topical thing that will help.

Did you see the improvement after first application? How often do you apply it and for how long have you been recommended to use it? Does it have to be prescribed and is it a topical anti-fungal?

Looking forward to your updates.
    Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again..

Thank you for all the replies and questions. It has now been a week since I made my last post and now I will update. First of all, the effect of clearing my skin seems to have diminished, but my skin still looks better than before I started using ovace. I figured out that to get my skin where I want it, good dieting is a must. Ovace, and dandruff shampoo and everything else only goes so far. The underlying cause of seb derm is in your gut, therefore unless you treat it there you will only be taking small steps in making your SYMPTOMS look better. Ovace has only 1 active ingredient: 5% Sulfacetamide. Look it up on wikipedia if you want to know more. It isn't an anti-fungal, its an anti-bacterial topical. It has to be prescribed. However, I don't have ANY flakes anymore on the areas where I apply it. That is, underneath my nose, on the sides of my nose(cheek butterfly area) and in my beard areas. The redness is reduced in those areas on flaking is completely gone. I didn't see improvement until about the third day, or the third application. In fact, my skin got a little worse for a couple days but I decided to stick it out. I'm glad I did. You apply a thin film layer to your skin and this is good enough for about 12 hours. You only need to use it when you think you do. For example, if you ate pizza and are expecting a flare up. I have been recommended to use it as long as I want, since it is not a steroid it has no long term bad effects on the skin. In conclusion, I am satisfied with my skin by doing these things: First and most importantly, eating a good diet. Second, using ovace daily to every other day. And third, using a dandruff shampoo such as nizoral on the affected areas about twice a week. If I'm doing all of those things, I have enough confidence to not think about my skin 24/7. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please post them. - Jordan

Sulfacetamide is also what's in Plexion and Klaron (10%). From what I've read it is both an anti-biotic and an anti-fungal. I've been using Plexion since 2001 and Klaron since the summer. They work nicely at getting rid of acne but not at getting rid of my dryness/itchyness. Then again I dunno what's up with my skin as diet doesn't have any effect on it like it seems to with SD.

-Brian

I used 25 g of Sulfacetamide 10% +colloidal 5%. It made the affected area drier, but it did not clear up the seb derm. Hope you are still getting
    good result with it Jordan. Winnie
    [I have mild seborrheic dermatitis around both sides of my nose and along the eye brows. My nose is a little bit oily, other areas of my face is normal.]