Thread: Red or Red & Near-Infared?

Default Red or Red & Near-Infared?

So ive read through each and every post concerning RLT...but im still left a bit confused on which one i should purchase...id like to buy a lamp from acnelamp in the next few days....ill describe my rosacea symptoms and if any of you could share any advice and/or you're own experience on which unit i should purchase that would be great. I have steroid induced rosacea...my skin is fairly sensitive, i have some general redness and i flush a lot...my main goal is to reduce some of the flushing...now again the big question: red or red+infared??

Hi northernguy,

How long have you used steroids, what type/strength and for what reason? Knowing this will give me some idea of where your skin is at.

Twickle Purple

Happiness is a choice.

I was on accutane for 6 months on a high dose for my acne...hope this info helps

Accutane isn't steroids, so I can't help you with that, sorry.
    I don't know anything about accutane, but lots of folks here do.

Best of luck with this.
    Twickle Purple

Happiness is a choice.

I don't know a lot about accutane except that it has really helped some, but in very very low doses..I think something like 2mg per day. High doses used for acne seem to cause trouble for rosacea.

I use the red & near infrared combo and it is working very, very well as you probably read. I have to use goggles, but some who are using just the red are not using goggles so I assume it's safe (you may want to double check). So, if you go with just the red, the advantage may be not having to wear goggles (again, I'd check to be sure) so you can read or watch tv while treating. Also, Peter uses just the red and he has the longest history of improvement. So, the red may be a bit more proven among us.

I chose both red and infrared because, from how I understand it (i could be wrong), the different wavelengths treat different depth. So, with rosacea I figured covering a wider depth range would be better, similar to IPL. I have benefitted greatly in just over two months.

Yesterday I went to an Indian food restaurant and had a medium spicy meal and later ate mild cheese and a small amount of chocolate and waaaay too many sweets. My skin was not bothered at all and remained pale and comfortable. This morning I expected a few signs of yesterday's splurge, but nothing. So, for me, RLT is allowing me to eat more foods and relax my trigger avoidance quite a bit. This took about two months of my red & near infrared combo acnelamp use.

I hope it lasts!!!!!!!!!

Artist

I think i might just start off with the red...my skin is really sensitive and it seems to me that just the red is maybe a bit less intense than the red+infared...and i dont want to spend money on fancy goggles.

Artist, i was looking on the acnelamp website, and it looks as though you can purchase individual heads of red, blue or a combination...are these heads easy to take off and be replaced with another set of lights?

I changed my all red to the red/near infrared combo and it took about ten minutes. You have to unscrew some screws and plug in the new plate of lights, then screw back in. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but once just to switch it out wasn't a big deal.

Cheers!

Artist

thanks Artist....well, i just purchased my two head all red lamp from acnelamp...so i should be getting it soon...ill let you all know how it goes

wooo weeee! I want a two headed one. It's expensive.

Now that my facial skin flushes so much less, hardly at all, I notice my ears. They have always flushed sometimes but of course my attention was more with my face. So, with a two headed lamp I think I can get my ears at the same time.

They do have a return policy - 30 days I think, so that makes the big purchase easier when you are trying it for the first time. Based on the current info from the support group and forum, though, you will never want to be without your lamp(s)!

Artist