Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Which RLT/LLLT unit?

-- I was just searching on EBAY and entered "acne lamp" to see what they had for sale on there, they had one unit blue&red lamps for about $250US it uses 3-red and 3-blue lamps and in the description it cites a study done by Dr. Chu at Hammersmith Hospital in regards to acne treatment with the blue-red lamps, very interesting.

I think that is the configuration of lamp Peter started with. He swapped out the blue for all red eventually.

Happiness is a choice.

I want to buy the infrared handheld unit from Elixa. Is it alright if I keep my eyes closed while using this unit or are goggles necessary for complete protection?

Most folks are adament about the goggles. I use 660+880nm panels on my dimalux, almost 2300 LEDs, and haven't worn goggles in months because my eyelids need treatment too. I just close my eyes. I also have a DPL unit that's almost all 880nm, with only a few 660nm LEDs, same thing here -- I just close my eyes. I do take an occasional peak at times for reasons but it is fleeting and infrequent. The literature on the DPL site says there has been no report of eye damage, they only recommend that you don't stare into the LEDs. They provide 'eyeshields' for your comfort. Which are a strip of black oval stickers that you put on your eyelids. They're not big enough for my eyes and they pull at the skin when they come off. I tried one and didn't bother after that. I don't think that UV blocking sunglasses work here, wrong wavelength protection. I dug up somewhere that green lenses would be best for this wavelength, metal are what is generally said to be best.

So, I can't recommend one way or the other. I can only say what I am doing and that I'm not blind yet. 8)

Happiness is a choice.

Default Which RLT/LLLT unit

Hi All,

First time poster but long time reader of this forum and rosacea endurer!

I've had rosacea for close to ten years and have tried just about all the treatments that are available including prescribed meds, supplements, dietary modifications, dozens of IPL treatments (I've lost count) and most recently V Beam treatments, all with varying amounts of success and lots of set backs along the way.

After reading the experiences of members on this board (many thanks to David, Peter, Twickle Purple et al for sharing all this great information) I've decided to add RLT to my arsenal and have followed this thread with a lot of interest. I hope that other members who have tried RLT post their experiences as well - it is very helpful to those of us who are trying to make up our minds about what product to buy - it really is appreciated!

Twickle, in reading your posts, I believe that you have tried two of the products that I am considering and I'm hoping you can offer your opinion on what has worked best for you (I realize you've used them for varying amount of time and for different conditions, but based on your experiences to date). Have you used your custom made LEDMAN array on your rosacea and how would you compare that unit to the DPL unit which I believe you've also started using? What are the pros and cons of each? Which ultimately would you recommend for flushing/burning/red?

Also, for those using the ACNE lamp, would the three head unit be enough to cover my full face and also under my chin? For the Red & Near-Infared unit, do you know what the proportion of Red versus Infared lights are? (there are 210 in total but the website doesn't break it down).
    I'm happy to contact the manufacturer but thought that someone might already have this unit.

Thanks again everyone for all this great information. Really looking forward to trying this and will let you know what unit I buy and how it is working.

Happy New Year!

Welcome to the forum Chelsey!

I had only begun using the DPL before Christmas. I experienced an increase in flushing and thought my skin didn't like it very much so decided to wait until a good amount of time had passed to try it again to see if it was other elements giving me trouble. I know that other members here use it and posted positively on it. Turns out I had some rotten bug which gave me ear and sinus infections. This explained the flushing, among other things. So, the long and the short of it: I don't know about that one yet. I will give it another go round once my head clears.

The DPL is mostly 880nm with just a few 660nm LEDs. Which, in my mind, makes it 'stronger'. I started with all 660nm, it was gentle and very helpful.

Only because I have the dimalux, the flexible array of LEDMAN is not something I use on my face. I do use the smaller LEDMAN 96 LED arrays everyday though. This fellow runs his LEDs hot to increase the MCD (brightness) so they get warm quickly. There is debate on whether this actually enhances their effectiveness though. This heat has put some folks off treating their face, but holding the unit a few inches away works for me. If I did not have the dimalux I would definitely use the LEDMAN flexible array. I would figure a way to suspend it though.

I hope this is helpful.
    I wish you great success with this!
    Twickle Purple

Happiness is a choice.

Thanks for your reply, Twickle and sorry to hear about your sinus and ear infections, especially around Chrismas. I know anytime I get sick, my face will flush, no matter how well it's been doing. Hope the DPL is ultimately helpful for you.

I'm not worried about the heat that comes off the Ledman's unit, however I'm wondering why you would want to suspend it? Could I not sit in front of it at my desk or at a table?

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsey
    I'm wondering why you would want to suspend it? Could I not sit in front of it at my desk or at a table?
    You can. It's just that your posture will get a work out with the flexy unit. You'll want to be 'face in' and around 3-6 inches from it. Maybe it can be set to height on some books or something like that, it would make it more comfortable. This is where the DPL has the advantage. It's the right height and angle. I found the build is pretty flimsy where the panels join the stand though and the panels tend to come off too easily. But it's suitable for its purpose, and the panels coming off give it added flexibility.

Happiness is a choice.

Best price yet for LED therapy products: click here

Check out the one at the bottom. Only 20 LEDs but for the price ( $18 ) you can get a few, and they have a regular light bulb base so they can be put into your own lamp stand. Lot's of colour options too.

They have a good 'research' link to: click here

Happiness is a choice.

Default Re: Which RLT/LLLT unit?

1 - Which LLLT unit do you use?

2x84 "All Red" LED handheld units from Elixa

2 - Where did you buy it?

www.elixa.com Very good service, arrived within 7 days USA -> UK including the New Year holiday. E-mailed to let me know it was on its way, including postage tracking number.

3 - What is your opinion of the build quality of the unit?

They are good little units, lightweight and slimmer then they appear on the website. However I wouldn't say they feel very heavy duty, but so long as your not throwing them around they are more then adequate. They are also portable enough to take on holiday.

4 - How, and how often, do you use it?

I lie down with one on either cheek, the units are sat on some VHS boxes to raise the height. I started slowly, and now after two weeks I'm on 15mins a day, just started to do 2x15 mins p/day. No ill effects suffered.

5 - Do you apply it over cream or on clean skin?

Clean skin.

6 - What benefit have you experienced?

Skin feels softer and smoother. Too early for anything else I think, but going well, no side effects.

7 - Tips or other comments

Been said by many people, but find someway of lieing down while doing the treatment, its a pain holding the units all the time and probably would lead to skipping sessions or shortening them. Then switch your phone off, put some music on, relax and enjoy!

If oredering from the US with Elixa, as GJ said, make sure you specify a 230v powerpack with each unit you buy. They said they couldn't supply me one with a 3-pin plug but wiring a plug is even within my DIY capabilities!

8 - Cost

$234, which worked out at 122. This was for 2 units including postage, so not bad value at all, and as I said, very good service from Elixa.