Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Which RLT/LLLT unit?

what about the patient block out glasses that are 125$? are those necessary, or are the protective goggles that come with the lamp good enough for red/infared?

Quote Originally Posted by Artist
    They look more portable.
    They are admirably portable. Not much bigger than a pack of cards.
    All four of my units - for no apparent reason - seem to emit varying degress of heat. Hardly an issue if you are not holding the arrays during treatments - fixed them to an arm, into a table or whatever - but if you have perhaps taken them on holiday and are having to hold them up to your face, the sensation of heat in your hands may be enough to give you pause: ' What am I doing with this heat source so close to my noggin?'

Such a thought may spell calamity for ready flushers.

Quote Originally Posted by northernguy
    what about the patient block out glasses that are 125$? are those necessary, or are the protective goggles that come with the lamp good enough for red/infared?
    When I (very occasionally) use my 880nm arrays, I wear $4 googles bought form the local tanning salon. Attractive staff; nice to have an excuse to pop in.

I am not yet blind.

Default Re: Which RLT/LLLT unit?

1. - Which LLLT unit do you use?

Home made - IowaDavid made the 6 panels up for me - low level red LEDs. Each panel has 147 LEDs, total 882. Panels put together by my Electrican boyfriend, into an arch shape, which is brilliant. You can check it out here (bottom post on the page):

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewto...=3542&start=15

2 - Where did you buy it?

From David in America. Posted to Australia. Very grateful!

3 - What is your opinion of the build quality of the unit?

Obviously time consuming for David. Great workmanship. Thank you, David!

4 - How, and how often, do you use it?

Every night, when I go to bed - I switch on. Sometimes 1/2 hour, sometimes 2-3 hours. Depends when I wake up and realise the lights are still on. Started at a distance of about 15-20cms, for short stints, to see what it was like. Now about 10cms away for as long as I am asleep...until I switch off. Wouldn't recommend a long time under near infrared or infrared though.

5 - Do you apply it over cream or on clean skin?

I wash my face with Acarid Removing Soap, apply ZZ ointment, close my eyes and go to sleep under my array. I don't believe it matters though. Freshly washed skin or all day skin, the lights will still do their stuff.

6 - What benefit have you experienced?

Ah...well...let's see....less sensitive skin for starters. I do also think it helps in some way with the overall redness on my face. Not sure it helps much with p&p's but I guess time will tell with that. It's de-stressing, which is a good thing for me. Overall calmness of the face, which I guess could be translated to less inflammation. I believe less flushing too.

7 - Tips or other comments.

I started off wearing goggles that I purchased from the local tanning salon but found that the light seemed to focus into the inside corners of my eyes. I no longer wear goggles. However, if I were to use near infrared or infrared, I would definitely wear goggles.

I don't believe it's a cure but it sure is a simple and cost-effective regime. Since I am medication-free, I'm really pleased with the results so far.

If anyone is interested in light therapy at home, I would suggest that you get a unit that is easy and comfortable to use.

Jen
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    1. Dermalux converted all red 6 fluorescent tube acne lamp. Have recently been experimenting with their all red LED unit.
    Peter
    Is this http://www.dermalux.co.uk/index.htm the one you mean Peter? Just with the blue tubes replaced by red ones? Did they do it for you? Or did you replace them yourself?

Hello Capri

Yes that's the one. If you want to order one then just advise them you are trying it to treat rosacea and you want it converted to all red. The tubes just plug in so they are very easy to change. If you react to fluorescent tubes then I would advise you try an LED lamp instead which would be more suitable for you. Also remember the tubes need replacing every 3 - 4 years based on 15 minutes daily use and each tube can cost up to £25 each.

Good luck

Peter

Thanks for that Peter, much appriciated.

Do Dermalux supply an LED one as well? I can't find one on the website. I think I'll give it a shot with the tubes one, I don't believe I have a reaction to fluorescent tubes, but then again Im not always sure, my triggers can be seemingly random at times. As far as you are aware though, is there any 'performance' difference between tube vs LED? The cost is not a huge concern so don't mind paying extra if needed to play it safe with an LED unit?

Thanks again.

Hello Capri

No problem.

They do supply a hand held LED lamp but at the moment but I understand this is the only one you can currently purchase from them. The LED appears to be just as effective but like all this things there are pros and cons for each type of device. I got my LED a few months back because I wanted to experiment and I also needed something more portable for when I travel, which it is ideal for. Even though the LED is more expensive (£280) the main benefit is that the LEDíS themselves should last for a very long time so there are no additional costs of replacing tubes etc after a few years.

I will PM you later with some details and if necessary send you some pictures of both lamps that I use.

Regards

Peter

Thanks Peter that is very good of you! I tried ringing Dermalux this afternoon but the phone is off the hook, I presume they have finished for the Christmas holidays. I will try them on the 27th but I guess they might not be back until the new year. Anyway there is no rush.

Thanks for all your help.

Northernguy, that is a good queston about the block out goggles. Anyone know if the regular goggles are ok with near-infrared, or if the $125 "block out goggles" acnelamp sells and "recommends" are necessary? After 9 weeks my eyes are fine and I've just been using the ones the lamp comes with for free..

Artist