Thread: Flcuconazole and SD

Default Flcuconazole and SD

Recently came across the following clinical trial on the treatment of SD w/ oral Fluconazole (50mg perday).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=16918053

In addition, there were several other trials discussing 2% fluconazole having a great effect on SD.

Anyone try this before? Looks interesting to say the least.

I haven't tried Flucanazole, but I have tried Sporanox, which is also in the "azole" class of anti-fungals as itraconazole. The naming scheme, if i remember correctly, comes from the molecular structure of the drug itself. There are two main classes: triazoles and imidazoles. Both Flucanazole and and Sporanox fall under the traizole class. Triazoles are considered the better choice between the two because they are less toxic and usually more effective. Anyway, I saw significant improvement in my seborrheic dermatitis while I was taking 200mg of Sporanox for two weeks, and the erythema and desquamation almost cleared completely. My skin looked very normal. However, as soon as I stopped treatment my skin returned to its usual condition in about a week. To me, this indicates two things. First, I may not have completely killed the Malassezia in my body, including on my skin. Therefore, it could have made a recovery especially being a fungi.
    Second, if the conditions were right, such as not enough good bacteria being in my gut or having a horrible diet with lots of sugar could allow for the regrowth of Malassezia, in my gut and on my skin. The reason I think I benefited from anti-fungal treatment so much was because it removed the overgrowth of the yeast in my gut. This is where I believe the cause of seborrheic dermatitis and the key to clearing it lies. Let me explain more:

Wikipedia:
    Malassezia (formerly known as Pityrosporum) is a genus of related fungi, classified as yeasts, naturally found on the skin surfaces of many animals and humans.
    If Malassezia, which doctors believe is the yeast that causes seb derm on the skin, occurs naturally on many animals and humans, why do only relatively few people have seborrheic dermatitis? In my opinion, there are two reasons: an overgrowth of yeast(namely malassezia) in the gut, and genetics. The next question we come across is: why would an overgrowth of yeast in the gut cause a inflammatory reaction on the skin? Well, the answer to that is that inflammation is a reaction of the immune system. It works like this: When there is a yeast overgrowth in the gut(intestines, etc) then the immune system tries to seek out and destroy the yeast to reduce its numbers. When this happens, the immune system sends out antibodies(forgive me if that is not the correct terminology of the immune system) to seek out other areas of the body and attack the SAME yeast that is infecting the gut. So it finds Malassezia, which is found naturally on the skin and causing no problems, but the immune system attacks it anyway. How does the immune system attack the yeast? Through inflammation. Bingo - burning, sensitive skin, erythema and flaking.

That would explain why anti-dandruff shampoos, such as head and shoulders or neutrogena t-gel, seem to have a positive effect on seborrheic dermatitis when applied topically to the skin. It reduces the malassezia, which calms the immune system down in that area of the body.

In conclusion, sorry for getting so off topic but I believe this is where the future of seborrheic dermatitis lies and the key to clearing your skin. There is much much more information I could sit here and write for hours. If you or anyone else has any questions then you could message me, reply here, or read some books. I recomend: "An Extraordinary Power To Heal", and "The Yeast Connection Handbook" I'm not sure of the authors off the top of my head, but I'm sure you could find them easily on amazon. Goodnight.

Hi cmburn22, I haven't tried this either. What are you using for your seb derm, are you still taking garlic? Has it worked for you? Winnie
    [I have mild seborrheic dermatitis around both sides of my nose and along the eye brows. My nose is a little bit oily, other areas of my face is normal.]

Hey Winnie!

I didnt use garlic on a consistant basis (only for about a week) and it didn't seem to do much. I'm currently using a Probiotics/acidopholis supplement and Clenia cleanser (sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur) which is fairly mild.

Lemon juice does seem to have a positive effect (less flakey), and I drink one lemon in 8oz of water every day.

Have you tried oral antifungals? I tried Sporanox for 2 weeks (200 mg/day) and for the first week my SD cleared 95%, and the next week it came back full throttle.

Let me know how you are doing...

cmburn

I have used oral flucanazole and it did help, especially since i have trouble applying topicals to my face. I used it for another condition and did notice that my skin really improved. But like people have pointed out it will come back. The aim of treating seb derm is to keep the population of Malassezia constantly low enough to reduce the inflammatory reaction to it and doing this requires long term treatment.

Compared to topical treatments oral Flucanazole is pretty full on and is usually only used in extremely severe cases. I can't imagine taking 50mg once a day, i assume that would only be done in people who get extreme seb derm, like HIV patients. 150mg once a month is what i took. It really can't be used long term. The thing is it won't just wipe out the yeast population in the area you get seb derm but throughout your whole body and this can cause issues, similar to with antibotics where by wipping out the naturally occuring bacteria you can clear the way for less friendly bacteria to take hold.

Flucanazole 2% sound like a topical, if it was it might be avaiable over the counter, similar to nizoral cream. There is good info on the sucess of these in keeping seb derm under control. I have problems with the bases of most of the antifungals so one of these days I am going to ask my doctor to write me a script to get the active ingredient compounded into cetaphil lotion.

There is some good info here:
    http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/...ermatitis.html

Thanks a lot cmburn22!!

I haven't tried any oral treatment, my derms did not write the prescription
    for me, said mine is mild. Recently I finished an anti-mite herb program and it doesn't help, might be I don't have mites in my body. Now I am starting an anti-candida program see if it helps. I have taken probiotics
    for a long time, perhaps the skin would get worse if I don't take it. I had used sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur but it only helped a tiny little bit. Don't know when will those DNA stuffs available :? Please keep us posted. Best wishes, Winnie

Quote Originally Posted by cmburn22
    Hey Winnie!

I didnt use garlic on a consistant basis (only for about a week) and it didn't seem to do much. I'm currently using a Probiotics/acidopholis supplement and Clenia cleanser (sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur) which is fairly mild.

Lemon juice does seem to have a positive effect (less flakey), and I drink one lemon in 8oz of water every day.

Have you tried oral antifungals? I tried Sporanox for 2 weeks (200 mg/day) and for the first week my SD cleared 95%, and the next week it came back full throttle.

Let me know how you are doing...

cmburn
    [I have mild seborrheic dermatitis around both sides of my nose and along the eye brows. My nose is a little bit oily, other areas of my face is normal.]