Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fish oil, is it high in histamine?

Default fish oil, is it high in histamine?

Hi,

does anyone perhaps know if fish oil capsules are high in histamine?

Thanks, Natalja

Hi Nat,

I have to go do a quick search on this but for now, I'll just say that fish oil capsules were once investigated for prevention on 'allergic-type' or 'allergy-induced' asthma. Studies that I saw weren't very good and the data was weak...but who knows?
    It was suggested that the ingredients that compose up fish oil are involved in decreasing the histamine response.
    So, my answer would be no. I'll try to get back to you...but I'm a little tied up now...

According to this website and my allergist they are very high in amines:

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in...ex.htm#buttons

I am on a food intolerance elimination diet and fish oil is not allowed.

This quote is from the above website, it's talking about in kids but it's still relevant to us. It goes on to say that one brand, Efalex, claims to be amine and salicylate free so it must depend from brand to brand....

A. Fish oil is thought to benefit about 30 per cent of children with learning or behaviour problems. Others can be badly affected due to the presence of natural salicylates (in ingredients such as thyme oil, evening primrose oil and lemon or lime flavouring) and natural amines in fish oils. Failsafers have reported adverse reactions including behaviour problems, depression and migraines to a range of fish oil products.

what are amines

Amines are vasoactive chemicals, formed in food when amino acids are broken down. Histamine is the most well known, but there are other amines that are equally likely to cause blood vessel dilation, potentially causing flushing and a range of other symptoms. And others that cause blood vessel contriction. It's explained really well here:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergyd...histamine.html

I'd copy and paste what it says if it could, but the text on this website seems to be protected.

Great link, thanks for including that.
    I had no idea about a deficiency in the metabolizing enzyme DAO.

Putrescine? Cadaverine? Grossine.

Happiness is a choice.

I know there is so much information on that website. Who knew that if you have low levels of that enzyme then eating too much starchy food or carbs causes the intestinal bacteria to go nutty and produce histamine and i assume some other nasty Gi problems.

The problem with that website is it raises so many possiblities that i just end up feeling confused! That website is the reason i decided i would go to the diet speacilist my doctor refered me to after all!

My Aunts a dietican and after seeing this website i asked her about this dietican (i'm always a bit wary about some information on the internet) and apparently she has a really good reputation and has published a lot of articles on this topic. I would have gone to her but she's not practicing at the moment as unfortunetly she has chronic fatigue or something similar.

It does raise questions for me. I question having all these food allergies. I know it supposed to be part of the AD package but maybe it's as simple as having an issue with histamine? Pop an enzyme like one does for lactose intolerance and off I go. I'm going to look deeper into that, and B6.

Maybe my flushing will stop too... I appreciate the sleuthing you do.

One thing I noticed when I cut gluten and yeast out of our diets, among other things, is that my fatigue disappeared. Perhaps it could so with your aunt?

Happiness is a choice.

Sorry what i wrote wasn't too clear, it's the author of the website who has the chronic fatigue, not my Aunt.

Since doing this elimination diet I have noticed that dairy and wheat give me GI problems and tiredness and what i call brain fog. So interesting that you find the same thing Twickle Purple. My tests for coeliacs came back clear....i think next my allergist will test for lactose and fructose intolerance. I think they might do glucose as well, i can't quite rememeber but they do all the ones that can be diagnosed with the breath test at the same time.

Fructose is in wheat and suprisingly my Aunt said that they are now finding that many people who think they have a problem with gluten actually find it's the fructose (which is in wheat as well as fruit). And the funny thing is frutcose is highest in the only fruit allowed on a food intolerance diet...Pears!!!

Nothings ever simple is it? I agree how nice it would be if all our flushing was something to do with food and all we had to do to stop it would be to cut that food out!

What i forgot to say before too was that fish oil would only be a problem if you were sensative to amines. If you weren't then like Vicky said fish oil can be helpful for reducing allergy type reactions.

The website above has a list of what symptoms are associated with an intolerance/sensativity to amines. But to really tell an elimination diet (cutting out all amines and other vasoactive substances like msg, and salicylates) has to be trialed for a month or so to see if symptoms resolve, and if they do then food challenges are usually carried out to pinpoint which foods and particular chemicals are the problem.

more info on amines and herbs/vitamins etc;

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in...upplements.htm