Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Second V-beam

Thank you, Froggirl ... I truly feel as though I'm part of a special family here. I can't believe that here I am at 51 years old, and I've finally found others ... many others ... who have been dealing with the same things as I have. Turning beet red to the point where people think I'm having a stroke after exercise or in a hot room ... sudden, deep flushing of my face and the intense heat that comes with it ... and the "veinology" on my face. I would look around me out in the world and not see a single person that had this. Once in awhile on television, I'd notice someone with flushed skin and say, "Gee, I wonder??" But in my own world, I felt so alone. No more.

This support group is just the best. Today is day 4 after my first vbeam, and I am still pretty swollen. My eyes are really stinging too, and I want to blink all the time. I have some very dark bruising. I had my cheeks and chin done. The doctor told me I'd probably need another treatment in about a month, but I think I'm going to wait 3 months and really see how this treatment turns out before deciding. Even a little improvement would be awesome for me.

Just curious ... when did most of you start having problems with your rosacea?? I had a few broken veins even as a teenager, but the flushing, heat and major "veinology" didn't really happen with me until I turned around 40. Of course, many of my symptoms I attributed to hot flashes as I just didn't understand. The first dermatologist I saw told me I didn't have rosacea, as I didn't have any acne ... and I didn't know enough about rosacea to have a meaningful discussion about it with him. He was also the first to recommend the vbeam for me, on a strictly cosmetic level.

It is a great here, like you said there are so many of us here for who flushing is a normal (if unwelcome) part of our lives. It is so nice to not feel alone.

Wow on bruising settings i imagine the swelling must be intense. My eyes nearly swelled shut and i was treated on the lowest possible settings. My derm is very conservative and never uses brusing settings when treating flushing and rosacea, the only thing he uses them on is portwine stains.
    I was very cautious going into for laser because i had previously had a series of IPL that made things much worse, so i was thrilled when i found a laser derm who was just as cautious. My first session wasn't so much about results but about checking that my skin didn't respond negatively to the treatment.

I imagine though with brusing settings you could see much more dramatic results after just one session. It does sounds like a really good idea to wait more than a month for your next session though, your skin might still be healing then and plus then you can wait and see how your skin reacts to the treatment and how it has effected your flushing.

There are also a lot of stories on this forum of people who responded well to laser or ipl until the settings were upped and then it made things worse. So for any subsequent treatment either it would just be something to watch because i think there is a fine line between what will give good results and what can aggrivate things and of course this would vary for everyone. So if you get great results at the setting you have just been treated at maybe think about asking to have the same settings again rather than at a higher setting.

My intense flushing started a year ago, before that i always went red easily, even at high school my face would stay beet red for hours after i had been running and i always went red when i drank and looking back in photo's i can see that it gradually got more and more intense and then a year ago my cheeks started going red like that for no good reason at all and people started asking why i was so red or if i was sunburnt. It happened really quickly but when i'm not flushing my skin is normal. At first the bad flushing was once every week and then it got worse and worse until it was everyday and night and as i'm sure you understand it was hot and painful as well as embarrassing (although i got over that eventually!). And now finally it is actaully getting better rather than worse.

Thought i'd update again since it's a couple months after treatment.

I've seen big improvements in my flushing since my second treatment, it is now much lighter and less painful and hot feeling. I still flush everynight but it's now so much easier to cope with now it doesn't hurt so and if i want just a small amount of makeup is now enough to mask it... Whereas before it took a lot of green concelor and serious makeup and even then sometime the heat of the flushing seemed to melt the makeup off!

I'll be having my third treatment in another couple of weeks so hopefully that helps even more.

Congratulations, I'm glad that the v beam is working well for you.

Keep us upto date with your next treatment. I'm off for another Yag treatment on Wednesday and can't wait as I'm beginning to see my usual backslide.

That's great news! I'm glad this is working for you.
    How often are you spacing the treatments and how many are you thinking you'll do?

My derm spaces treatments three months apart and he orginally recommended three treatments. I'll have to talk to him this time about if he recommends having more than 3. As i've said before he is pretty conservative so i doubt he'd do endless treatments. Since i have seen really good improvements he might not think the risk of making things worse again is worth the benefit of reducing my flushing a little more. I like that he's so sensable because i have made some pretty terrible descions about treatments when i've been freaked out about my flushing.

How have you been going TP after your laser treatments, were you thinking of having more?

Philka, how often do you have Yag? You usually have the KTP as well don't you or have i got that wrong? Have often do you have them? How long have you found it takes for you to start backsliding?

I am very hesitant to do it again. My derm is thrilled with the progress but I found the assault was too much for me the last time. I'm happy with what the RLT is doing for me, while it doesn't 'zap' the telangiectasia it does fulfill my other needs.

Yep your right I have both the Yag 1064 and the 532 (just couldn't be bothered to write both). I have them anywhere from between 2 months to four months.

The most persistent part of my rosacea is the dilated capillaries that I started to get at about 17. I find it very hard to get rid of the buggers and even harder to make them stay gone. The intensity of the flushing has been reduced through the various lasers and I find that I am least likely to flush but towards the end of the second month I feel the 'urge' again.

Unfortunatly whatever I do to my skin triggers off the dialted veins- topical moisutisers/ topical prescription creams, hot showers, flushing. So relief from this aspect is always temporary which is annoying as to me it is the most bothersome. Only the old pulse dye laser has ever made some go away permantly but the down side of that was just too great. I basically shut myself off from the world for months on end whilst waiting for the purpura to disappear. I remember going back to the hospital two/three months later and they were gobsmacked that you could see clearly see it

Good luck with your treatment.

Sarah

Hi Kate,
    It's great that you're doing so well after your treatment.

Why did you choose Vbeam as opposed to Yag 1064 for your flushing? I have to make a decision pretty soon as to whether I am going to have a 2nd Vbeam (Candela) or go to another doctor for Gemini Yag 1064. My main problem is frequent flushing/burning. Many times a day every day.

I'm still confused as to the best treatment because it seems you're getting Vbeam primarily for flushing. Is that correct? And is burning also one of your symptoms?

I know every person is different but I am just so confused. Dr. Crouch recommends the yag 1064 for flushing/burning and yet you're having success with the Vbeam.

Thanks,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa

At least you've still got a couple of months left to decided in and to see what effect the treatment has had, it takes 3 months or so to see the full results so you must have a couple months left. It is all so confusing at times figuring out which treatment is best.

Flushing and burning is exactly what i got laser treatment for. Before i saw the laser derm am i seeing now I had already tried 4 ipls and just kept getting worse and worse. Finding a great derm who's opinion i trusted and who owned all the main types of lasers helped me a lot.

Like you i intially thought Yag would be best option but went with my derms suggestion. He felt that v-beam was the most effective but also the most established and studied method. He really sounded like he knew what he was talking about so i went with his recommendation and have been really happy so far. I think i may have posted more detail about why v-beam in my first v-beam post.

I did ask about yag, and he said that the mode used to treat the whole face (rather than that used for individaul vessels) it actually did not destroy vessels but worked occasionally for flushing in way that wasn't clear but that was thought to be realted to the heating effect and collegen renewal. He said it was mainly used to treat wrinkles, he said he had some success with it for flushing but the results weren't as relable as what he's seen with v-beam. But obviuosly for Dr Crouch to recommend YAG he has seen it work well for flushing.

Like you he said that everyone is different so if 3 v-beam's didn't work, and i had no negative side effects, my derm told me that his usual approach would next try three KTP, then IPL and lastly Yag. So luckily his prices are good at about $230 a treatment.

Even then he said that in his experince the chance of v-beam (or any laser or IPL) helping were around 30%. He seemed to say that for some people laser treatment actually normalised their flush response while in others it just reduced the intensity (due to the readuction in blood vessels and replacement of unhealthy ones with new healthy ones). I'm in the secondary catergory because i still flush a lot, it's just so much milder now.

But remember there is no one best machine for flushing and burning, but instead there are a range of things to try. So really KTP, V-Beam and YAG are all equally good options, as is combination treatment like KTP and Yag (like gemini). Of course which one of those is recommended will vary between doctors and what's works for each patient will differ to. Proably the single most important thing about laser treatment is not about which laser, but about the experince of the doctor doing the treatment and what setting they use.