Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Second V-beam

Just to update what happened after v-beam the swelling took about 4 days to go down and then proably a week until the very last of it went.

When i rang the derms office to ask they said it was pretty normal but often correlated with good results, which would be nice!

They say it takes 4 weeks to see results and about 12 weeks to see the full effects so i'll just have to wait and see!

This user has been banned from this forum

The swelling is always there and 4 days is the usual time for it to go down. I had swelling too but zero results - not a single blood vessel was shut down. My redness is more like diffuse spotty redness but i have visible capillaries on the nose and those werent coajulated at all and I am already 2 months after the procedure. The procedure was done by dermatologist, my guess is even they don't know how to operate with the settings, just like the nurses. I am sick of amateurs that only take my money without any result.

That's a pity you havn't seen any results. What type of v-beam were you treated with?

I was suprised by the amount of swelling the second time because the first time i had none at all. Good to know in the future that four days of swelling is pretty normal.

I did see some reduction in flushing after the first one so hopefully the same thing happens with this one.

I think it was a Pulsed-Dye laser because I developed purpura right after treatment and I don't think you can develop purpura with the KTP laser, no?

I'm not sure if anything but the pulsed dye laser can cause purpura either? I assume though if the power was turned up high enough nearly anything could cause the same thing. There is a really big difference too between the old pulsed dye lasers and the newest v-beam lasers, so if you were ever considering further treatment you will really need to find out what type of laser it was, the settings and the machine. That way the next doctor you see might be able to avoid what didn't work for you and suggest what might.

I don't know much about purpura, my derm doen't believe in using the bruising settings on the v-beam (except for treating things like port wine stains) so my first treatment was on the lowest setting and my second was was just a tiny bit higher.

I've never had any purpura with the KTP at any setting so I don't reackon it was this.

I talked to the hospital where I had the procedure. The settings were:

V-beam Pulse Dye laser
    595 nm wavelength
    7mm spot size
    9 Joules/cm^2 intensity
    10ms pulse length

I've learned from a site that KTP laser is better (no bruising):
    http://www.shorelaser.com/LaserVascLesions.html

I have 'matted telangiectasia' and on one of the pics they treated that with KTP laser with SCANNER. Maybe that is the best option for people with matted redness.

I have found the KTP laser very useful for capillaries. I now go for a combination of KTP and ND:Yag (for the flushing)

Thank you so much for this thread. I'm a newbie here, swollen and red, and wondering if I made a serious mistake 3 days ago with my first (and probably last) vbeam treatment!! I guess it's impossible to say how different people will react to the treatment, but I was never warned about this severe of swelling and having to reschedule my life until I can go out in public. Can't hide swelling with makeup!!!! My eyes (which weren't treated, as was stated above by others) are the worst, and my moisturizer rolls UP into my eyes and stings ... that's how bad it is. I am so hoping this goes down soon. Is there an antihistimine that would help me now, or is it just for pre-treatment (which no one mentioned to me)??

Oh by the way, my treatment cost $400, and no insurance coverage.

I had had no swelling at all the first time, i even went to work the next day, so i was kind of shocked the second time at how swollen my face looked. Like you said littlebod it wasn't something that makeup had any hope of covering up. If i hadn't seen other people's posts about how full on their swelling was i think i would have totally freaked out! So i'm glad that my post helped you.

The doctor really should have warned you before hand. Then again mine did and i still didn't realise it could be so bad. When i rang my doctors they said it was pretty normal and sometimes meant that the v-beam had done a lot of good. So here's hoping that's the case for you. I have been really happy with my results and am looking forward to my third treatment in March. But i will be making sure i have a full week off work this time.

It couldn't hurt to try antihistamines. I'm already on them permenantly so it obviously didn't help me too much. Four to five days of swelling seems pretty standard and from memory my face was still a little puffy for about a week or so once the worst of the swelling went. Did you get your whole face done or just your cheeks?

Hopefully you see some good results. Don't forget that it will take about a month or more before you will be able to judge the results from the treatment (my derm actually says three months). So don't worry if things seem a bit worse for a while, my experience has been that i flush much worse for about 4 weeks after treatment and then after that i really see results. After two sessions my flushing is now light pink instead of red and it doesn't feel nearly as hot or painful so i am really happy. Also before my first treatment i'd wake up every morning flushed but 4 weeks after my first v-beam it completely stopped and in 6 months i've only woken up flushed a handful of times. Would have been fantastic if it had of stopped my evening flushing too but i'll take what i can get.

Let us know how you go.