Thread: Recommendations on IPL..??

Default Recommendations on IPL..??

Hi all, this is my very first post on this forum! I have been signed up as a member for quite some time, but have spent most my time reading about everyone's frustrations and different approches on available treatments, in part just to further educate myself on this crappy disorder ( It's not a disease !). Anyway, I have recently set an appt to get my first IPL on the 21st of July, and after reading everyone's accounts of their experience w/ IPL, I'm really anxious and hesistant. I am 20yrs old and have moderate rosea, which includes flusing that comes and goes, especially with triggers and emotions, as well as pustules on my upper lip, chin, and laugh lines (which I believe erupt as a result of the heat). Quite some time ago, I was in contact with the moderator IowaDavid about Red Light Therapy, and am still very interested in that possiblity. Thus far, I have tried Metrogel and Finacea for roughly a six month period, with no real difference, only increased sensitivity. Because my condition is not horrible, I want to keep it under control early on, so i looked into IPL. My worry is that because I haven't found a good dermatologist yet who is really able to asses weather it's a good option for my skin or not, and becuause I think I have minor seb derm on my face, which I've heard IPL makes worse, I am just feeling a little hopeless and unsure. There are a few success stories on this forum about IPL, but I've more so noticed a general consensus of frustration and disappointment. What would you guys suggest?? I feel like because I've been trying to rationalize it in my own head for so long, I'm not getting input that might be helpful before deciding to go down the IPL road. Please provide any input you might have. I need to hear different perspectives from a community who knows the frustration and anxiety surrounding this poopy disorder ! It's kind of ironic that of all the different and expensive treatments, Noxema, a $3 commercial face wash, seems to help me the most only becuase its great at cooling the skin. But it's time to do more....[/b]
    Miguel

This user has been banned from this forum

The results with IPL/Laser are inconsistent and depend on the operator. Do you have persistent redness or capillaries?

Check out the low dose accutane threads.

IPL defintely set off my seb derm although once that had calmed down the results were good. After the flair I switched to another laser (yag which has worked well for my flushing).

I am actually going to try out IPL/n-light at the same time in a couple of weeks. The thinking behind this will be that the n-light will hopefully reduce the risk of the seb derm flair, so fingers crossed.

I agree that the results are dependant on who doing the treatment. I would try other avenues before laser/IPL such as medication, diet, etc.

hey meister,

I know exactly what boat you're in. I'm 23, have had R for 5 long years. Have never had IPL or laser, mostly because I've never had the money. I get very worried about taking the leap after hearing both positive and negative reports on this forum. I mean, why spend lots of cash on 50/50 chances, right?

After reading a lot of reports, and including those at
    www.rosacea.co.uk
    I've concluded that the majority gain improvement. Everyone says it depends on getting a good practicioner, but unless it's a well-known doc, how would you ever know who's good and who's not? We have no way of knowing.

Making the leap is risky, but you are investing in yourself and your future. People go to college, go into debt for thousands or more, for the same reason, right? That's how I like to look at it. Good luck in your decision and read a lot! This page is very good for research:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Rosacea..._manufacturers
    Subtype-1: Cheek and ear flushing
    Currently: IPL

I addition to that, it seems that V-beam laser has a great track record for rosacea. It does have some downtime associated with it, like most lasers, so if IPL does make us worse or doesn't do anything, we can always move up the line to the next best option. It can often feel like we're backed into a corner with this, which sucks. But at least there are options.
    Subtype-1: Cheek and ear flushing
    Currently: IPL

Thanks for the replies, you make a good point bentherebefore, there's really no way of knowing how good the practicioner is, especially when it's someone local. I'm doing my best to investigate his credentials and track record, so we'll see. It's all just so risky. IPL could make it better or worse, then one must take into consideration the type of IPL machine being used, the joules/settings, the different types of heads (which I'm still really confused about), and so on. Being a self sufficient college student makes it damn near impossible to afford treatment, but at the same time, I refuse to let this progress.

Hey phlika29, do you have a link so I can learn more about this n-light? I'm pretty sure I have seb derm as well, and the last thing I would want is for IPl to aggravate it further.

orangehorizon- I dont have telangiectasia/broken blood vessels, just flushing and blushings. The undertone of red around my upper lip and chin seems to be permanent, and I'm not sure if the pus filled pimples I get are pustules or acne form rosacea.

It's all just so frustrating !!
    Miguel