Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any suggestions please?

Default any suggestions please?

hi everyone im in need of advice please! I have had a pinkish / red face now that comes and goes for nearly 1 year now and have been told 1st it was rosacea then perioral dermatitis then seb derm and now urticaria! Does rosacea show less after washing your face in warm/hot water? as this seems to help the redness i have for an hr or so. Also during a flare i get small red bumps appear but they go straight away wen the flare stops usualy between 10 mins and 1hr! Any ideas if this sounds like rosacea?

Hi

I replied to your original post in the newbie section, I'm sorry you haven't had much success so far. I do find that if I am having a flush then washing gently in warm water will help abit. Sometimes it will be enough to calm it down and at othertimes it will be only temporary. I wouldn't wash with hot water though.

Have you posted a picture as this will help people to give an opinion (not a diagnosis). For me rosacea means my face becoming extremly red and hot to the smallest stimuli such as hot food, embarrassement, public speaking, waking in the morning, certain foods, hot showers, exercise, walking into a warm room, talking on the phone, talking to someone, you get the picture. The flushes can go on for hours at a time and often will only cool down with considerable effort ie. plonking myself down in front of a fan, sitting in my car in front of the air conditioning (oh this bit reminds me on many a New Years Eve). The after effects can be a red rash like effect on my cheeks and/or little papules.

The beauty about rosacea is that these flushes can be accompanied by intense pain and every day sees a completely different set of sypmtoms. Some days I am pale, some days red, some days my ears will flush, some days I know I won't flush (don't ask how but I can just tell by how my skin feels). Other people's rosacea can be quite different mainly papules and not so much flushing.

I can only advise that you treat your skin with great care and have a good look around this site.

Best wishes

Sarah

Thanks for the reply, its so hard to explain the symptoms sometimes as they seem to change on a weekly basis, sometimes if i dont moisturise for a while my skin starts to get very dry then when i do moisturise it sings like aftershave in a cut :s then i could do the whole thing again and it wouldnt sting! Its so frustrating having something that I cant describe lol I will try and post some pics and maybe people can give me there opinion

What moisturiser are you using and what do you wash your face with?

Sarah

well normally i use dove moisture bar to wash with and neutrogena moisturiser or allergenics which is ment for people with allergies / eczema. I will also use vaseline at night before i goto bed sometimes.

I'm not an expert on mosturisers but I wonder if some are too strong. For instance if you cut out the Dove bar you may not need to use the vaseline. I for one can't tolerate anything soap like or too greasy.

It may be worth reviewing what you are using and seeing if your skin responds when you cut then out. I just wash with water and use nothing on my face. If you have seb derm then I guess using anything oil based can make it worse.

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick001
    well normally i use dove moisture bar to wash with and neutrogena moisturiser or allergenics which is ment for people with allergies / eczema. I will also use vaseline at night before i goto bed sometimes.
    Hi Maverick001,

Neutrogena is really harsh on my sensitive eczema skin, and Dove dries my skin alot and will give me a flare if I use it more than once. Aveeno solid bars are the best cleaners I've come across and leave the skin neutral. I used to try everything new that was marketed as the next best thing, but finally just went with what was boring and reliable: Aveeno and Vaseline. Vaseline is an all round excellent choice if you have very dry skin.

Aveeno liquid soaps and lotions are not the same as the solid bar 'soap' and bath powder. The liquid soap and lotions contain ingredients that make me flare. So trying different products in the same brand family can bring different results.

Hope you find something that works for you.
    Twickle Purple

Happiness is a choice.

thanks for the advice everyone its so nice to know that people actually take time to help others. I will have to post a pic so you can give me your opinions. Just had a flare of something near my eyebrows and lower forehead that almost looked like a sweatrash but has not gone dry and flaky and stings with anything on it. Is seb derm and rosacea the same thing as my gp said it was! Although i thought seb derm was a allergy to malazia furfur or something to that name lol

No your gp is wrong. Rosacea is when your blood vessles are overreactive (the real course of which is unknown) resulting in an inflammatory response http://dermnetnz.org/acne/rosacea.html.

Whereas seb derm is a skin problem linked to the sebacious glands http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/sebo...ermatitis.html. Many people do get these confused as the symptoms look similar but the underlying cause is quite different.

Seb derm often affects the hairline and around eyebrows and nose and can be oily, red and flaky. Rosacea typically results in a red areas that spread across the cheeks and nose. Some people have both conditions and one can aggrevate the other.

Treatment from the doctor for seb derm is often reliant on steroid cream and whilst using it for a couple of days can result in relief, long term use can thin the skin and result in rosacea for some people (twickle purple has said alot on those subject in her threads in the photo section).

If you take some time to search the various forums here then you will find both conditions are covered. The latest things you mention do sound abit like seb derm but its hard to know.

Best wishes

Sarah

sarah,thanks for the advice,ever thought of a career as a doc well think the only answer is get some pics up. You watch i will prob have seb derm and rosacea wahoo hehe. Seems abit odd that it was such a sudden onset of blushingy redness with no previous history of blushing or family history either! forums like this are a god send,makes you feel their is light at the end of the tunnel,thanks for all your comments it truely helps,especially when docs & derms really seem ignorant to peoples suffering!