Thread: Scalp (lumps)

Default Scalp (lumps)

Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster. Will write a more detailed intro bout my self and my rosacea at a later date but for now I need to ask a quick question.

I have rosacea and seb derm. On my scalp I have one or two little lumps dotted around which aren't really painful and aren't noticable beneath my hair when it's long. I've left it for a few months without treatment and the lumps haven't gone. Note also that I only wash my hair bout once a week !
    Anyway I went to a doctor and he told me it is probably ringworm (a fungal infection?) and gave me hydrocortisone to use.
    If it is what he says it is, it doesn't surprise me that my useless skin is over reacting to the normal bacteria in my hair.

Does it sound like ringworm?
    Will the hydrocortisone sort it out?
    I hope the waiting hasn't done any lasting damage?
    Is it normal to have ringworm in conjunction with rosacea/seb derm?

Thank you sincerely

Also i'm worried about using the doctors prescription because from reading through the forums hydrocortisone is a trigger for rosacea?!

I been using hydrocortisone (1% concentration) on part of my face for over a week recently, and it didn't cause any problems. I think hydrocortisone only triggers rosacea if you use for a long period or in too high concentration.

I don't think you can get rosacea on your scalp anyway.

Hi

Welcome to the group. From my days working in a pharmacy I think that ringworm is an infectious fungal infection, that can be treated easily, normally by antifungal cream/tablets. It is not connected to rosacea or seb derm and putting hydrocortisone on your scalp should not affect your face.

My only concern is whether hydrocortisone is the best thing to treat it with. But there is no reason to doubt your doctor so I'm sure it will be okay. You shouldn't delay in treating it as I think it may make it harder to get rid of.

I can't comment on whether it is ring worm but if you look online you can see lots of pictures of it. I think fungal infections will glow under UV light.

Best wishes

Sarah

You can get rosacea on your scalp. But it kind of itches and there are lots of bumps.
    - Rachel Rose