Thread: keratosis pilaris

Default keratosis pilaris

Hello!Last days I've seen another derm and she told me that my facial redness may be relaterd to keratosis pilaris (KPRF). I wonder if you guys with KPRF notice burning sensations and flushing or just permanent redness?Do you have visible vessels in facial area affected by keratosis pilaris?Regards

Helllooooooooo there.

I have also been told I have Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii by my dermatologist.

Yes, you do get burning and intense flushes with KPRF as well, not just rosacea.

KPRF of the face is usually distinguished by the "horse shoe" appearance of redness....here's a pic.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

I find that Linda Sy's ZincO TINTED SPF works wonders with KPRF.

I don't know if this would apply to facial KP but the allergist i am seeing about food intolerances told me that the KP on the backs of my arms was food realted and would disappear on the elimination diet. I was sceptical but two weeks in and the KP is gone from my arms. Only wish my flushing responded too.

So i guess if you have KP it could be worth looking at food intolerances. There's a link at the end of my signiture or else this website is good too:

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in...ex.htm#buttons

I've been looking on the internet and noticed that facial KP looks exactly like rosacea and that symptoms such as flushing are present in both conditions.

KP has never been mentioned to me by any derm or doctor that I have seen, or the Physician treating my rosacea with IPL.
    I definately have a bit of KP on the backs of my upper arms, so I can't help but wonder if my erythema isn't rosacea but Ketosis Pilaris. Are there any factors to look for with facial KP that will help decide for sure which I have? many references say KP usually occurs at birth, during childhood or adolescence. What I believe to be rosacea started when I was 26.

I realise noone can diagnose anything here, but if there are any differing symptoms between facial KP and rosacea, it would be useful to know.

Thanks

KP of the face apparently makes your eyebrows fall out, so if your eyebrows aren't thinning then it more than likely you don't have KP

To the above post, thats if you have KP on your forehead not cheeks.

I was diagnosed with KP on the forehead, and it was diagnosed wrongly.

Its a nightmare isn't it?
    I'm pretty sure its rosacea as my nose is affected in the same way (in apperance, at least) to my cheeks and forehead. I'm sure I read somehwere what KP doesn't really bother the nose.

Default KP

Quote Originally Posted by flemmo View Post
    I realise noone can diagnose anything here, but if there are any differing symptoms between facial KP and rosacea, it would be useful to know.
    Thanks
    Rosacea may be a disease that covers a broad spectrum of rosacea mimics. It is one of the confusing matters that needs to be cleared up. The NRS only recognizes one rosacea variant even though medical literature lists others. KP, PD, SD, and PF are the most common rosacea mimics that are actually a different diagnosis, not to mention acne which also mimics rosacea. A physician is the only one who can legally diagnose rosacea and there are no clinical tests. A history, a physical exam and sometimes treatment determines a diagnosis. I have been suggesting that a skin biopsy be done to rule out a high demodex density and is a good idea to ask your physician about.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thanks Brady.
    I've heard about skin biopsies being use to rule out similar conditions. But I thought this was usually taken from the hairline to avoid visiable scaring. Would a high concentration of mites show up on a biopsy from the hairline or would one have to be taken from the affected area? Perhaps a skin scrape under the microscope would reveal mite concentration?

Default skin biopsies

Quote Originally Posted by flemmo View Post
    Thanks Brady.
    I've heard about skin biopsies being use to rule out similar conditions. But I thought this was usually taken from the hairline to avoid visiable scaring. Would a high concentration of mites show up on a biopsy from the hairline or would one have to be taken from the affected area? Perhaps a skin scrape under the microscope would reveal mite concentration?
    I have written about this in my book and on my site:

http://rosaceans.com/skin_biopsy.php
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi