Thread: Shower Filter?

Default Shower Filter?

I recently purchased an Aquasana water softener for my shower because I have been flaring up in the mornings after I shower since I moved into my apartment. I read on a website that it is also supposed to filter out 90% of the chlorine as well as soften the water. However, I am still flaring up after I shower. I am thinking about adding on a shower filter that filters out contaniments more than just chlorine. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I don't want to have to cut out my showers in the morning unless I just can't find some sort of filter that doesn't irritate my skin. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Here are two suggestions based on my experience.
    Your irritation may be from contaminants in the water and the heat of the water itself.
    To test this theory, try taking a shower with the water as cool as you can stand, and as quickly as you can. Another option is to turn the water off during "down times" during the course of the shower. Try turning the water off while shampooing, or soaping your body, then turn it back on again to rinse.
    I find these methods definitely decrease the amount of irritation to my skin after showering.
    Now for the bad news. Many cities having started adding ammonia as well as chlorine to municipal water. Not going to get into the chemistry here, but google it if you're interested. Basically, the chlorine and ammonia form chloramines, which do not break down nearly as quickly as simple chlorine. Cities are doing this because the byproducts of chlorine breakdown are known carcinogens, so chloramines are considered safer in that regard, as well as disinfecting the water for a longer period of time.
    Many people find chloramines to be very irritating to the skin, and a simple shower filter will NOT remove them. I have done loads of research on this, and there are many claims all over the internet as to what filter medium does and does not remove chloramines. I've even phoned companies and they have directly stated that other companies are lying about their product's ability to remove chloramines.
    During my research, I discovered that chloramines are potentially deadly to people undergoing dialysis, so hospitals have to successfully remove chloramines for these patients. There are some other methods they use, but it looks like the newest and best is catalytic carbon. The water has to be in contact with this carbon for a much longer period of time than just passing through a small filter.
    So there are formulas, and tests to make sure you have enough footage of carbon to expose the water for long enough and maintain your water pressure. So to truly remove chloramines from your water, you need something along the lines of a two large tank system full of catalytic carbon. Not cheap, but possible.
    So call your city water bureau and ask if they add ammonia to the water. And hope they don't.

Sparrow

take shorter showers and make sure the water is not hot.. The hotter the water the more it drys out your skin and causes more irratation. Actually taking a shower too often also dries out your skin as well..

Mhmm, I remember Froggirl posted an article a while back about cleaning/bathing for people with dry skin or skin disorders. Polster is spot on, less time in the shower, less often and not so hot. This has personally helped me a little as I used to always have my shower as hot as I could handle.

The thing that makes me wonder is that I haven't always been sensative to showers since I started ipl treatments. But in the past couple of months, I can only take a shower in the evenings because for some reason my skin can handle it better than in the mornings (if I shower in the morning then my skin will be burning the entire day but in the past, when I would shower in the morning, my skin would only be irratated shortly and would return to normal). I believe that their might be something in the water at my new apartment complex that wasn't in my old one. They are still contructing the other half of my complex so I think that might something to do with it. I still want to try to get a water filter to put on in addition to my aquasana water softener. Does anyone know of the best filter to use? Does anyone know of a water testing kit I could purchase to test the water?

Try not getting your face wet in the shower and wash your face with spring water? I've heard of some people putting on vaseline over their face before a shower to protect it.

To test your water...there should be a lab that offers a water test for a fee. You can bring them a sample of the water and they'll test it for you. Before we bought our place in the country (drilled well) the agent took a sample of the water to a lab and tested it for like 50 bucks.

CJ

Default Keep your face out of the SHOWER!

My Rosacea recently cleared up a lot. I began doing several new things at once, so I don't know exactly what to attribute it to. One of the things I STOPPED doing was putting my face directly under the shower head. Now I just stand facing the shower and cup the water in my hands, and splash the water onto my face. I'm also taking prescription Oracea and using Finacea gel(Azeleic Acid) 1-2x/day as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilson21 View Post
    I recently purchased an Aquasana water softener for my shower because I have been flaring up in the mornings after I shower since I moved into my apartment. I read on a website that it is also supposed to filter out 90% of the chlorine as well as soften the water. However, I am still flaring up after I shower. I am thinking about adding on a shower softener that filters out contaniments more than just chlorine. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I don't want to have to cut out my showers in the morning unless I just can't find some sort of filter that doesn't irritate my skin. I would greatly appreciate any help.
    I suggest you go to the online store to find Luxsego or Culligan filter shower heads, these are great shower heads. My city uses chemicals to treat water, and I can smell the very obvious chlorine in the water, which makes my eczema worse. I haven't smelled chlorine since I tried these two shower heads, and my skin is recovering.