Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of Elixa LEDs

Default Quality of Elixa LEDs

I purchased two Elixa LEDs (also the same as the LEDMAN ones I think). I left one running for 15 min, and afterwards the base was extremely hot to the touch, and had that burnt plastic smell.

Have other people noticed this? Is this normal for this sort of device, or are these units a potential fire hazard?

Hi nullbit,

I don't have the Elixa but I do think the LEDMANs are the same in modelling. The LEDMAN makes his own, and Elixa may as well. I know that the LEDMAN can run his LEDs current up to increase the MCD (brightness), this can create heat. Have you asked Elixa about this? I have read that they have excellent customer support.

Twickle Purple

Happiness is a choice.

I contacted Elixa, they said it's normal for them to get very hot.

I'm probably making a deal of nothing. I'm gonna go ahead and use them, but set a timer so I don't fall asleep and leave them to heat up over night.

The quality is fine for Elixa. Very nice people on that end.

Hey Fut

First time up Elixa sent the correct three pin 240v adaptor with the array. On my second and third purchases they have sent - erroneously - some rather odd and rather small two pin transformers which are utterly useless over here.

Have they managed to send you the correct adaptors or, like me, have you had to pop down to B&Q to get the correct stuff?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GJ
    Hey Fut

First time up Elixa sent the correct three pin 240v adaptor with the array. On my second and third purchases they have sent - erroneously - some rather odd and rather small two pin transformers which are utterly useless over here.

Have they managed to send you the correct adaptors or, like me, have you had to pop down to B&Q to get the correct stuff?

Cheers
    I live in the U.S. and haven't had any problems with an incorrect adaptor.

Default Re: Quality of Elixa LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by nullbit
    I purchased two Elixa LEDs (also the same as the LEDMAN ones I think). I left one running for 15 min, and afterwards the base was extremely hot to the touch, and had that burnt plastic smell.

Have other people noticed this? Is this normal for this sort of device, or are these units a potential fire hazard?
    If you get close to a dense LED array--even if it's running at the standard current (say, 20ma)--it's going to put off heat. And yes--when you have the LEDs, solder, and resistors together, it does give off a mild smell of "burning plastic" (I'd actually call it more like "Star Wars action figure left on a light bulb), but, that's semantics ;) ).

They get warm to the touch, but shouldn't "extremely hot" at all. That's the entire purpose of LEDs--maximize light output in relation to a very low thermal waste.

Can you post pics of your array and link the supplier?
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by fut
    I live in the U.S. and haven't had any problems with an incorrect adaptor.
    Thanks for responding anyway, Fut. You are such a thoughtful and likeable member.

I am, of course, easily confused. Just today I learnt the difference between AC and DC electrical currents.

As did one of my arrays.

Quote Originally Posted by nullbit
    I contacted Elixa, they said it's normal for them to get very hot.

I'm probably making a deal of nothing. I'm gonna go ahead and use them, but set a timer so I don't fall asleep and leave them to heat up over night.
    How you making out with this nullbit?

Happiness is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickle Purple
    How you making out with this nullbit?
    I have nothing against the people at Elixa, they seem like really nice people. Even with the best intentions though companies can make products that do stuff like this. I'm probably being over cautious; but I can't trust something that gets that gets so hot after only a few minutes, especially because I have to use it close to my face, and at night when I might fall asleep and leave it on.

This is all my slightly OCD driven opinion though. I know very little about electronics.

Probably will buy an acnelamp instead. What do people think of these in terms of quality?