Thread: Absalom (contains vinegar) for seb derm?

Default Absalom (contains vinegar) for seb derm?

I recently stumbled on this product, Absalom, which is used supposedly as a natural growth enhancer:

http://www.allcures.com/shared/product.asp?id=84944

However, on examining the ingredients it seems it could be useful for treating seb derm as well:

Purified Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, Extracts of Grape Nettle, Limeflower, Onion, Rosemary, Burdock, Maiden Hair, Catmint, Parsley, Marigold, Comfrey, Yarrow, Sage, Lemon Grass, Golden Seal and Marshmallow.

It also goes on to state:

Clinical Tests Results

Subjects experiencing stabilization of hair loss 88%
    Subjects no longer experiencing dandruff 94%
    Subjects no longer experiencing psoriasis 83%
    Subjects experiencing hair regrowth 79%
    Subjects experiencing thickening hair 99%

I think this may be a very interesting product as I have used Apple Cider Vinegar in the past and it has always removed all traces of dandruff on my scalp and around my beard area (although it didn't do much for the seb derm redness). The only reason why I do not continue to use ACV is due to the smell, but with this product all the additional herbal ingredients could mask the awful vinegary smell to some extent (although the product info does say "Due to the ingredients contained in this product, there is a slight smell of yeast / vinegar when applied" but I'm sure it smells better than just plain ACV) You could of course just buy plain ACV and add loads of herbs but I haven't really got the time to do that.

My aim would be to use this Absalom stuff to clear dandruff/flakiness combined with Cutanix extra strength redness relief which would reduce the redness problems I have on my nasal folds. Oh and maybe some sea kelp and licorice from Skin Actives since everyone seems to report good things about these ingredients.

I would be really interested in hearing what you guys think.

Woops, it just hit me..I can't quite remember if ACV is rosacea friendly? Does using ACV antagonise rosacea? I remember when I used ACV on my face a few years ago, I literally turned tomato but that was full strength...so maybe if I just apply it on the scalp and nasal flaps it should be okay?

Bradley,

What worries me about this product are these two statements:

I would be afraid that it would make my facial hair thicker.

Also I tried using ACV mixed with half water. Full strength was way too strong for my skin. I used this for several weeks and really couldn't tell if it was helping or not I got tired of the smell so stopped using it.

I am now using a cream that has ketoconazole and it is helping a little.

It is hard to believe that we can send man to the moon but can't cure seb derm or rosacea. This just really doesn't make sense. Maybe if more doctors and scientists had what we had then we would have a cure.

Woops, it just hit me..I can't quite remember if ACV is rosacea friendly? Does using ACV antagonise rosacea? I remember when I used ACV on my face a few years ago, I literally turned tomato but that was full strength...so maybe if I just apply it on the scalp and nasal flaps it should be okay?
    Full strength ACV or ACVWM (WM stands for with mother, which is what you should be using if you are using it for the treatment of rosacea / seb derm) is WAY too strong for sensitive skin, especially with the aforementioned skin conditions. You are lucky you didn't do some permanent damage to your skin if you applied it full strength, it can cause broken blood vessels and leave a telengectasia(sp?) look on your skin. ACVWM is a very effective treatment, yet it requires you to start with a very diluted solution to begin with, such as 10% ACVWM and 90% water for the first week, then increase to 20% for the next week, etc. That way, the skin can get used to it, and becomes less sensitive over time. If you want to know more about the proper usage of ACVWM you can go to the official yahoo group of it: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...titis-support/ or you can do some searching on this site, I've posted many times before about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie
    Bradley,

What worries me about this product are these two statements:

I would be afraid that it would make my facial hair thicker.

Also I tried using ACV mixed with half water. Full strength was way too strong for my skin. I used this for several weeks and really couldn't tell if it was helping or not I got tired of the smell so stopped using it.

I am now using a cream that has ketoconazole and it is helping a little.

It is hard to believe that we can send man to the moon but can't cure seb derm or rosacea. This just really doesn't make sense. Maybe if more doctors and scientists had what we had then we would have a cure.
    Again, starting with even half water / half ACVWM is WAY too strong for the skin to begin with. Even then, the ACVWM treatment is not effective unless you are following a strict diet, removing all things that can aggravate the skin condition, or, in my case, the gut condition which is the root cause of seborrheic dermatitis, and inflammation in general.

Hi Jordan,

For myself I just don't think that diet is the root cause of seb derm. Seb derm was not a big problem for me until just a few months ago. My diet hasn't changed so I don't think that it is caused from what I eat.

Two derms have told me that it doesn't come from the gut. Of coarse we know that derms don't always know everything.

I honestly think that my rosacea was hormone related. Once I got my hormones leveled out my rosacea got much better. Maybe about 90% better but I still have occasional breakouts and redness. This happens when my estrogen dips a little. Maybe that is why a lot of people don't experience rosacea until they are older, when their hormones start declining. Just make me wonder.

Bonnie

Bonnie, yes no one knows for sure what causes seb derm. And as you implied, it may be different from person to person. However, those dermatologists are very wrong for telling you that seb derm doesn't come from the gut. Another example of western doctors ignoring the underlying problems and trying to strictly treat the symptoms. My diet did not change before I had the explosive onset of seborrheic dermatitis, and did not change after. However, now I know that there is a strong correlation between my diet and my skin, and it took me about 3 years to figure that out. Basically for me: I eat good I look good. I eat bad I look bad. Almost never fails. Eat a pizza for dinner, have a seb derm flare the next day. Drink some beer; I can feel my skin itching and starting to break out within 4 to 6 hours of drinking it.

I haven't really studied the effects of hormones and seb derm, besides the fact that hormones are a factor in oil production on the skin, which is necessary for seb derm to thrive.

What is odd about my skin is that now that I am older my skin is drier. Since my skin is drier my seb derm is worse. When I was younger and had oily skin I had no problem at all with seb derm. Go figure!