Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Cleansers

Default Top 10 Cleansers

Hey all,

I have rather a self serving idea...

I thought it might be useful if people could list some of the cleansing products that they've tried and rate how well they did. Maybe we could eventually compile a list.

It just so happens that I am looking for a cleanser. But that aside, I think it could be really useful as I have quite a few people asking me how they can take skin camo off without scrubbing their skin raw. Unfortunately, I dont have an answer!

So please, and assistence in this little cause would be MOST appreciated.

Cheers!

BB

This user has been banned from this forum

Default Re: Top 10 Cleansers

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bear
    I think it could be really useful as I have quite a few people asking me how they can take skin camo off without scrubbing their skin raw. Unfortunately, I dont have an answer.
    I am using Shiseido Extra Smooth Sunscreen SPF 36. Those familiar with Shiseido sunscreens know that they are very matte but also extremely hard to remove - they kind of get glued to the skin. Normal facial cleansers, even soap have no chance of removing them.

Shiseido sells special oil cleanser that removes the sunscreen. I've read somewhere that the oil is practically mineral oil. That gave me a hint what to use.

First I slather my face in Johnson baby oil which is mineral oil and massage a little. It doesn't seem to do anything at that stage. Then I apply on top my usual facial cleanser which is a mild sulfacetamide+sulfur cleanser - I think any cleanser with a mild detergent in it would do. When I start massaging the cleanser the miracle happens - the sunscreen powder separates from skin in form of a white emulsion which I rinse with water. It may be necessary to rinse off second time with the cleanser to remove traces of mineral oil left.

As an alternative you could try the Ponds cold cream which is mineral oil based. Just make sure you remove it with normal cleanser afterwards cause some people complained it leaves a film - that's the mineral oil.

Some people suggested using Jojoba or Olive oil instead of mineral oil - try it and see which one u like best. I think the mineral oil is best cause it's thin.

In the same way I believe you can remove any makeup.

orangehorizon,

Fantastic post, thanks very much!

So the you use the oil based product to deal with the sunscreen / make up and then use a regular cleaner to remove that. Excellent.

I'll give a few products a try and see how it goes.

Soap is off limits for me unfortunately. I had a bad reaction to it before and have since been using just tepid water. Works great usually, but not when taking off sunscreens and especially camo creams!

But this is great, and hopefully it will help those like myself who are struggling in this area.

Many thanks,

BB

Default hi bob

i, too, am looking for a new cleanser to alternate wtih my plexion that i really like. winter in chicago is rough and although i like the plexion it is too drying to use twice a day , sometimes every other day is good.

i have tried

dermo cleanser ( fine but quit because my plastic surgeon told me the dipropylene glycol is sensitizing to the face)

used revision ultra gentle cleanser for a long time but think i may be sensitive NOW to the sodium laureth sulfate or maybe the high percentage.

I tried md forte replenishing, didn't care for it.

i have also tried MIR cleansing gel and its ok

i tried rosaceacare a long time ago and it didn't work :

so i am hopeful to find something new too

thanks

If you use cleanser just for cleansing, not for removing makeup or sunscreens, any cheap facial cream without irritable ingredients that contains both water and oils will do.

The explanation is that such creams must contains the so called 'emulsifiers' which allow water and oils to mix. When you put such a cream on your face, it mixes with facial oils then you can rinse it off with water. It won't make your face tight like the regular facial washes and it's a good alternative to keep your skin clean. Some of the creams probably will dissolve makeup and sunscreens also but that depends on the exact composition of the cream. Just make sure the cream doesn't leave a film after washing it with water.

Just for my benefit (cuz I am a little thick when it comes to this stuff)...

Could you remind me which ingredients are big no no's for rosacea skin?

I think Cetyl Alcohol is meant to be bad, right? And isnt some form of sulpher to be avoided if possible?

Cheers guys, you are being a MASSIVE help.

BB

I mean, how would baby lotion match up as a basic cleanser?

I think I have used this before without bad reaction.

BB

sodium lauryl sulphate is the strong bad detergent that should be avoided but is is usually found in face washes or shower gels or shampoos not in creams

I buy Aveeno bar soaps by the caselot. Moisterizing Bar for me and Balancing Bar for hubby. I stick to the Aveeno bars or the Oatmeal Bath Powders, their lotions and cleansers contain things that irritate my skin. Hubby says the bar soaps clean better than zest and all that other nasty stinky stuff and leave no residue or scent. I have never used anything else so I cannot compare.

Happiness is a choice.

I tend to rotate a bit between cleansers and so far the 3 I've found that work well for me are:

Rosaceacare Ultramild Cleanser
    Tolerain Purifying Foaming Cream for combination to oily intolerant skin
    Dove Sensitive Essentials
    Diane
    Vancouver Island, BC