Thread: LED Proximity

Default LED Proximity

So how do we know what the correct distance we should have our LED from the target is? Here are the factors I would think we should consider:

1. What is the specific intensity of your unit at the distance of interest? I would suspect this will vary for each unit depending on how many LED, the intensity and type, etc.

2. What intensity is good for rosacea? Assuming you know how to quanity how intense your unit is, how do we know what is good?

3. What is the significance of this intensity? If it turns out a broad range of distances work then thats great, but does it need to be more specific to get the desired results.

These are some tough questions, but I would like start some discussion about it as there have some questions recently the proximity of units.

Perhaps one approach is to conservatively start a safe distance away and hold for a given time at it. Then evaluate the results and start again at a closer distance. This would have to be done for each particular unit and may be time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by hozer2k
    Perhaps one approach is to conservatively start a safe distance away and hold for a given time at it. Then evaluate the results and start again at a closer distance.
    Hi Hozer2k

Yes, this is what I believe is the best approach and the one that I took when I started out.

Yes, you are right that we are using different set ups. Therefore, it would be difficult to make a general statement on what is best for each set up, given the variables with this. Other than to start slowly, which I believe could be applied to all set ups.

I don't have any specific answers, as at this point in time we are our own guinea pigs on this. Much like we have been with other treatment options that have not specifically been targeted for Rosacea. We have to start somewhere though.

Starting at a distance further away, for a short period of time will allow you to gain an understanding of how it feels on the skin. Over time, bringing the unit closer and for longer periods, as you feel comfortable and have had the time to evaluate.

The concept of low level red light therapy for Rosacea is not something that will 'fix' Rosacea over night. It is my understanding that it works on an accumlative effect. Therefore, if one was to distance their set up at say 20cms, it may take longer to show results.

There has been a great deal of information posted about what effect it has on the skin in general terms (not Rosacea specific) and to be honest, I don't fancy spending the time putting links up, that can be found via a Forum search.

All I can really say is that I am very happy that I made the plunge to give it a go and I wouldn't be without it now.

Jen