Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderating - Your Input Wanted!

Default Moderating - Your Input Wanted!

Ok, I think it is high time that active members of this Forum have their say about how this Forum is moderated.

When I first became a Mod, I moderated with my heart and that got me into trouble. Yes, naive Jen was out to protect people from possible upsets. Urgh, what a villain I was! LOL So I was told to stick to the rules and still I got in trouble. Ok, I am not perfect I admit that, but I do try to be helpful.

I have received really horrible PMs that I don't believe were warranted. I'm sure many of you have received similar, although I hope you haven't!

So, how do you think this Forum should be moderated? Should the Mods be more agressive in removing posts, even if they haven't been reported? Like, if there are personal attacks going on between members? Should everyone be left to write whatever they want to write and posts only be looked at by Mods if a post is reported?

I'm truly at a loss. I seem to be damned if I make an effort and damned if I don't.

In all honesty, I hate actioning a report. Why? Because I always PM the person who's post has been reported to explain what action has been taken. It usually means that I have to take a mouthful of abuse in reply! I also PM the person who made the report to explain what action was taken and again, that can result in an abusive reply, if it does not suit the person making the report!

So, why would I want to keep being a Mod here? Well, because I care about people and I want to find the answers to the big Rosacea puzzle.

I so want this Forum to be a friendly place to reside and this is why I have chosen not to reply to the false allegations made against me on another web site. It's not worth my effort and I know the truth, not the made up "facts"!

Anyway, enough about that!

So, input please! I am at my wits end trying to work out how to go about being an effective Mod. I get bashed at all angles! Heck, it's not like I get paid to be a Mod! I honestly do it because I care about people and want to find the cure for Rosacea!

Do you think we can make this place a friendly Forum? And HOW?

Jen

Hi Jenny,
    Thanks for the candor.
    I am speaking solely for myself here, of course, but I am sick and tired of hearing about GN on this "rosacea" forum. If there are those on this forum that have had their feelings hurt by GN and can't seem to get over it, then I suggest that rosacea is the least of their problems. It's selfish and rude to assume that others want to constantly wade through this drivel while hoping to find something worthwhile to read (about rosacea, not GN). Again, just me here, but I really don't give a damn about this bickering thats going on between GN and any members here.
    At the least, put the gossip where the gossip goes -- here, not under the "gen. rosacea questions" or "research".
    It's pretty apparent what has transpired the last year or so concerning GN. Is there really a need for anyone to constantly try to "prove" the past to an audience that (I hope) doesn't really care?
    Respectfully my opinions,
    Perry

Quote Originally Posted by prryjones
    Hi Jenny,
    Thanks for the candor.
    I am speaking solely for myself here, of course, but I am sick and tired of hearing about GN on this "rosacea" forum. If there are those on this forum that have had their feelings hurt by GN and can't seem to get over it, then I suggest that rosacea is the least of their problems. It's selfish and rude to assume that others want to constantly wade through this drivel while hoping to find something worthwhile to read (about rosacea, not GN). Again, just me here, but I really don't give a damn about this bickering thats going on between GN and any members here.
    At the least, put the gossip where the gossip goes -- here, not under the "gen. rosacea questions" or "research".
    It's pretty apparent what has transpired the last year or so concerning GN. Is there really a need for anyone to constantly try to "prove" the past to an audience that (I hope) doesn't really care?
    Respectfully my opinions,
    Perry
    Well said. I couldn't agree more.

I agree, gossip re: GN should not be allowed.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

I have to say I also agree with the above posts. To keep bringing up GN risks destroying this forum. Although interesting it does nothing to further rosacea treatment and we need to keep our minds focused.

I understand that if I had had accusations thrown against me then I would want to reply but there has to be a better place to do it.

If I were Dr Crouch I would never have come near this forum again after the last couple of weeks. Given his continuing help to the group in the form of his question and answer threads his potential loss is worrying to say the least.

sarah

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29
    I have to say I also agree with the above posts. To keep bringing up GN risks destroying this forum. Although interesting it does nothing to further rosacea treatment and we need to keep our minds focused.

I understand that if I had had accusations thrown against me then I would want to reply but there has to be a better place to do it.

If I were Dr Crouch I would never have come near this forum again after the last couple of weeks. Given his continuing help to the group in the form of his question and answer threads his potential loss is worrying to say the least.

sarah
    I wonder if that one recent thread can be removed?
    It serves no purpose, Dr. Crouch has clarified in response to Jen's direct enquiry. That ends that.

With regards to Dr. Nase, I can only speak for myself and say I was guided by a sense of duty to let people know what had occured. My focus was misguided in that respect and, as someone accurately pointed out, the info is already out there. The reason for this preamble is to demonstrate accountability with the fact that I was vocal, and then move to say that I agree; it would be great if we could just move on from that now -- regardless of what he posts on his Web site. I want to focus on treatment.

Getting back to the question, I think with the divisive topic removed things may just sort themselves out. And, hopefully, you won't have your hands so full or be subjected to unwarranted abuse.

Happiness is a choice.

Hi Jen

Thanks for being a mod in the first place

It's a hard position to be in. A friendler forum would be great. Maybe though now you have clarified the red light issue things will calm down.

Maybe it is best to only action reports if they have been reported, but then it raises the question of on what grounds should people report posts? Abusive posts are clear but i guess there is no way to stop unfriendly somewhat rude posts. Arughh it all very hard! Maybe you could conduct a poll on some of the key issues, like if mods should screen all posts or only step in when one had been reported. And then on what grounds posts should be reported?

Thanks for the feedback.

Perry, Fut, Steve and Sarah

I understand what you are saying/backing up about posts relating to GN. I also think it is pertinent to point out that of recent times, this has been brought on to this Forum by unknown new members who only post once, or only about the latest product on GN's web site. This is a sure fire way of getting arguments started. I also think it is prudent to point out that when new 'miracle cures' are posted, linking to or referring to GN's web site, it is expected that we all want to have a full understanding of what is being claimed to be that latest 'miracle cure', the same as if we to discuss any potential treatment for Rosacea. Unfortunately it can get heated because the quoted "facts" don't always appear to be real "facts". We are all adults here with research capabilites, even if only via Google, so when the "facts" simply don't 'add up', it is impotant that these are discussed. However, having said that, it can be extremely difficult to have an adult discussion without emotions getting involved.

I've had accusations thrown at me and chose not to place a rebuttal in this Forum for the sake of peace keeping. I know the truth, not the made up "facts". Don't worry, I know I'm not perfect but I do try to keep the peace, when my own emotions don't get in the way! Urgh! Hey, I'm just a mere woman with raging Rosacea hormones!

I am very grateful that Dr Crouch was able to provide us with more details about the patients he saw. I believe it certainly lightened the weight in this Forum and paved a way to a more friendly place to discuss Rosacea.

TP

That thread has been locked now, as has the corresponding thread and I believe now finalised.

Whilst I understand not wanting to be concerned about what is posted on GN's web site, it is brought on to this Forum and therefore creates the opportunity for open discussion. If a scientific study is posted in a new thread by a new member, the thread would likely receive very little attention. Just check out number of views on such threads in the News/Research area of this Forum.

This brings me to another point. We are all here for the same reason - to get rid of the dreaded Rosacea beast. Some just want hard data and want nothing to do with the 'fluffy stuff' that is involved with a support group. Others, whilst still here for the same main reason, find comfort in that 'fluffy stuff' along the way. That's what being a support group is all about. A mix of the two - data and sharing/caring. There is enough of a mix of personalities here (enough to sink a battle ship really) but somewhere we need to find the middle ground of data and sharing/caring. Please be assured that I am NOT referring to you here TP! You bring a great deal of data on to this Forum and openly share and care about members. I thank you for this.

I appreciate that you have mentioned the posts you have made in the past regarding GN, TP. You are right, the info is all out there for anyone to read and we are here to focus on treatment options. However, as I have already stated, of recent times, this is brought up in such a way that it makes it near on impossible to have an adult discussion. This is another reason I started this thread. Feedback on what to do when this happens.

Kate

Thanks. Yes, it is not an easy task to be a Mod here. I do think that Dr Crouch's post will help to calm that issue. It has been a long 9 months of arguing and well and truly time to move on.

Yes, this is my big question. Does a Mod only take action when a report is made? I was actively removing posts that served no purpose other than to antagonise, including many posts that were made against GN (not that I suppose he would believe that!!) Sorry, I digress! However, it was decided that only reported posts would be looked at. Believe it or not, this made a HUGE difference to the tone of the Forum but I felt my hands were tied. So, again, it's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't situations.

At one point, Mods were asked to PM members who posted something that wasn't 'nice'. Of course, that too ended in heated PM exchanges and frankly I don't want to be 'Big Brother'!

There are a set of 'rules' that members are given but to be honest, I think they could use an overhaul. Waren set this Forum up with the intention of allowing all members to have their say in how it is run but not many members (very few actually) take the opportunity to have their say. I would like to see more members reporting posts. Mods are just regular members and don't read every post made. It's up to the members to bring anything that doesn't seem like the right thing to post, to the attention of the Mod members. Then it will most definitely be seen.

Kate, it doesn't necessarily matter about "on what grounds posts should be reported". If any member feels that something should not have been posted, then click that "!" Report Post button. The Mods can take it from there and discuss it if need be.

-------

Anyway, I know this is a very long post but I'm growing tired of taking a lashing!

Oh, I also wanted to add that RedHotCanuck recently resigned as a Mod and Site Admin support. I'm really sad to see him go! He said that he left due to constant harassment from a previous member. This is really sad but unfortunately continues to happen, not just for RHC!

Anyway, where to now?

Please, if I can make one thing stand out...please use the Report Post button, if ever you feel something is not right in any given post or thread.

I still welcome more feedback on this.

Thanks

Jen

THANK YOU JEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a tough job being a mod so thank you for doing it.

Removing posts is always going to be a touchy subject. I think the way you've being doing it is best and maybe to stop all the flak going to only one mod the poster should be told to make any responses or appeals to a different mod who is aware of the situation. I've read a post before it got removed and it definitely warrented it. So it's not like people's voices are being silenced rather people are being protected.

I agree it would be much nicer if 'Facts' were checked first by the original poster and then by those who choose to reply.

Agressive PM's are out of order and should be dealt with in the same way as they would in the open forum. Maybe persistant offenders should be temporarily banned from posting. I know there are a few who keep getting pestered by these types of PM's.

Anyway.

Cheers to you Jen and the mod team.