Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Choices

Default Re: LED

Quote Originally Posted by sarah
    hi thanks for the info Twickle Purple,

Im very interesed in trying this, my main problem is flushing as well as burning senstaions my skin is not red all the time only gets it when i flush so i hope to find a LED soon as winter is coming and my skin is definley getting worse.

I had 3 ipl treatments which made my skin worse im hoping i will be able to tolerate the LED light, im unsure what will be best for me if it will be all red or red and near infrared as i heard that is better for people who cant tolerate flurscent lights,though to be honest i could be totally wrong about that cant even remeber where i heard it. I would say when im under those kind of lights i do start to flush, does anyone else find that?

Would it be better to start with a hand held then do a unit first my flush zone is mainly cheeks and nose.Has anyone found there LED devvices to cuase heat from them or be more red or flushed after?

What sort of LED would you think be good for my skin i have these to links yet i dont have acne the acne lamp mainly talks about helping acne so i dont know what one to try for best or to go with just red or mainly nfared and some red.

These are the links i have
    http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/LEDtechnology.html

some info on it -http://www.light4beauty.com/faq.html

or the acne lamp http://www.acnelamp.com/ yet i dont have acne

Any help on this i would be grateful too

Thanks, sarah
    Hey sarah-

To be honest I think flashing the skin or doing a small area isn't worth it. LED is extremely low level therapy (less than a joule pr cm2 a min vs. the 30j's in a millisecond of a laser). So you're better off imo just getting a standard unit to do a 15 min tx. LED's effects are slow acting & cumulative. It takes several weeks to begin to build up enough biological effect. In addition flashing has a different mechanism of action on cells than continuous light. All LED's flash-it's how they deliver light, we just can't perceive it turned up to a certain level. It's my feeling the continuous is what is most efficacious for Rosacea.

In terms of what you need my theory has always been visible red (600-700nm) would be sufficient for milder to moderate cases whereas infrared would work better for severe cases. Both is ideal since the light addresses different levels of blood vessels.

A word about infrared...I've been meaning to try it for years now but what has held me back is adequate eye protection. Some don't believe you need it, but personally I don't think it's good to expose the retina to it. The metal goggles still let some visible in around the edges therefore would allow IR too. There's stick on IPL/laser eye patches now which may be a great adjunct to the metal ones for maximum safety.

there was a q back there about post tx flushing....It is normal after a LED. This is not a flare vs transient while the photons get absorbed. I've had 38 YAGS now & imo it's analogous to the 4-5 week kick up in symptoms I have before benefit is seen. I've had days my face was furious & sitting 20 min in front of my lamp calmed it better than had I not.

Good post Twickle....that Nanometer chart is a bit off it would seem because visble red begins at 600nm.

Just to clarify for those who may be confused "near" infrared is invisible ~800-1064nm. I've seen several sites & docs use the terms near infrared/visible red interchangably when they are 2 different animals.

I started w/P&P's & skin hardening as my first symptom. Since using the lamps my skin is flat & had very low incidence of P&P's.

The rule of thumb w/LED light tx is patience & I think ppl give up on it too soon or get scared off by it.

HTH someone!

[quote="banshee"]
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah
    that Nanometer chart seems a bit off though because visble red begins at 600nm.
    I found it on the 'net. I shall photoshop it into correctness!

The eye protection has been a concern for me with the 660nm+880nm. The Dimalux (sounds so close to Dermalux I find myself typing that at times...) unit came with the metal goggles and I used them a few times with the 660nm panels but eventually read enough saying the 660nm isn't an eye sight threat that I forewent them altogether. Sometimes I catch myself looking about while the lights are on before I register that I've got my eyes open!

The Derm's office covers my eyes with cotton pads then the same goggles I have when I have the Gemini treatment. But, I still see the flashes when they're working around my nose bridge or brows.

I purchased some eye shape cotton pads, I'll be certain to protect my eyes as much as I can when I begin using the 660nm+880nm panels.

Happiness is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GJ
    What are you finding, Fut?
    Eliminated my burning sesnations, i'm lesss reastive and base redness has decreased somewhat.

Not a cure but definately worth it in my opinion.

Great stuff.
    Very glad to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickle Purple
    Quote Originally Posted by banshee
    Ha, easier said than done. Most images that I sourced seem to leave a bit of wiggle room in the numbers. So I've updated the image to be a bit more general.

Happiness is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee
    Ha, easier said than done. Most images that I sourced seem to leave a bit of wiggle room in the numbers. So I've updated the image to be a bit more general.
    very kind of you I just looked at the chart briefly & noticed.

LEDs, when used for LLLT, are measured in microjoules/cm2--on the order of a millionth of the energy used for thermal laser devices like IPL or YAG. It's just a totally different action, and incredibly gentle. Sunlight is far more damaging than any red light therapy.
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

I ordeded the acne lamp, red only, single head unit. I may or may not try it on the face right away since I am finishing my last IPL session soon. But I plan on trying it on my neck and chest where I have some redness to see how it goes. I will give it a fair shot over the next few months and am keeping my fingers crossed.

I wish you great success with it!

TP

Happiness is a choice.