Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Low-Level Lasers and LEDs:Myth or Reality?

Default Article: Low-Level Lasers and LEDs:Myth or Reality?

Thanks again

And, of course, page 17.

--

I'm going to add my experience so far to this thread.

I posted this in reponse to an inquiry in another thread:

I think that the Gemini has offered the most profound changes no doubt about it. My face was covered with pronounced telangiectasia, the first treatment of Gemini reduced them by about 1/3 and I believe that this second application will have the same results. My 3rd treatment will be with a 5mm head to 'zap' the stubborn remainders with depth and precision. The first 2 treatmenta were done using a 10mm because of the expansive coverage required.

What the RLT works on is different. It controls the cause of my telangiectasia: the flushing and the blushing. I have such an over reactive face now that I've been in pretty much a permanent flush since 1-1/2 years ago. I was on doxepin for a few years and it stopped working, I tried clonipen, prednisone, a whole roster of antihistamines and nothing made a dent. The Doxycycline has given me an enormous relief for my irritated eyes and I can't say enough good things about that MetroCream. I apply it at night and after the first week I was getting a tingling numbness to my lips and a cool tingling all over my face. Within the month my face would go pale after each application, and I realized the anti-inflammatory effects. It didn't last more than a couple of hours but it brought much needed relief to the facial tissue. So the Doxycycline (for the eyes and minor P+P) and MetroCream (for the facial tissue) are also part of my improvement.

Sorry this is so long! I want to make sure that it's all properly represented. Anyway, back to the RLT. When I am done my treatment my facial skin feels cool to the touch. And then for the next 24 hours it's like a soft, moist, dewy cloud bubble surrounds it. I don't know how better to describe it! It is such a nice feeling. I am noticeably paler and the effects are cumulative -- the more sessions I have the more my skin tone becomes different. My redness is different and more confined to the heavy telangiectasia areas and it just feels so darn good. I can't wait til there is some study for Rosacea and RLT, there is obviously so much more going on than what is commonly understood with RLT. The effect on my inflamed tissue is calming, healing and it is reversing the effects of the rosacea ... my skin is looking younger and more resilient. Some days I get a glimpse of a healthy vibrancy and glow I havenít seen in years. My nose is getting its definition back and the pores on my nose and across my cheeks are getting small again (I could just about sing that one it makes me so happy!). My whole body is getting the effects too. I am losing an overall swelling which I wasnít even aware I had. My watch is much looser, my rings have more movement and my boots around my calves and ankles have more space. Itís working on something, and I like it.

I am so grateful that this was available for me. I had read enough from everywhere I possibly could to be certain this was worth investing in and taking a risk on. It requires a commitment, finding those 10-20 minutes everyday is important. Maybe after a few months I can have days without it and over time more gaps of time in between, as Peter has experienced, but I think this is improvement will always require some maintenance. I have sub type 1 rosacea so I canít say it will help any other sub types. But itís doing more and better than I thought and certainly beyond what is understood about it currently.

Twickle Purple

Happiness is a choice.

Good timing with this. The pro fellow is describing the effects that I am experiencing and have described above. The con fellow says "LEDs are clinically bogus until proven otherwise." That's logical.

Happiness is a choice.

This is kind of off topic, but how do we make the homemade one? How much are the ones you are using TP? Does it seem to help with P&P? I am pretty curious about trying this out...doesnt seem like it would do any harm.

Hi hozer2k,

IowaDavid has fabricated a home built model that he has had terrific success with. PM him for details. By the time I started using my unit my minor P+P had been cleared up with the treatment of antibiotics, MetroCream and Gemini, so I can't say whether it would have done anything with the P+P.

I've broken down the cost for my big Dimalux unit below (it came to just shy of $10,000 CDN):

Dimalux Cost (US$):
    - Dimalux all red 660nm lamp $5999.00
    - 3 panels of red/near-infrared 660nm/880nm $1999.00
    - Shipping to Canada $200.00
    - Credit Card Charge $150.00
    - 3 Years parts and labor warranty $0.00
    Total $ 8348.00

The smaller unit that I bought off eBay, the Photon Tender TPB-300, which came with a couple of 21 LED heads and one 1 LED probe wand, pricing is shown below (it came to about $800 CDN):

Photon Tender Cost (US$):
    - $649 (regular $1,299 according to the eBay listing)
    - Shipping to Canada $36.50
    - Credit Card Charge $0.00
    - 1 Years parts and labor warranty $0.00
    Total $ 685.50

My Warp10, which I haven't posted on yet because I've been sidetracked by Thursday's Gemini treatment, isn't for facial applications. But it's from the folks that began all this for NASA so I thought it was an addition of interest to the RLT dialog. It's timing is for about 80 seconds a treatment and it works like a bloody miracle on achy joints. It fixed my husband clutch fingers with one treatment. He could snap his fingers within 2 minutes, something he hasn't been able to do for the past couple of years. I think if we do a treatment once a week on his hand the fingers won't be a bother any more.

I've also got a larger, flexible array (864 LEDs) being fabricated by the LED MAN that will be both 660nm & 880nm. This will cost me about $800 USD (includes shipping), he's just working out how to make the hinging application like I want. This unit I won't be using on my face either, but it would be a suitable candidate for that if I didn't already have the Dimalux.

The makers of Dimalux are the same guys who make the acne lamp and they have the all blue, the all red and the red+infra-red heads for their lamps. I think for what they give you it's too pricey. The folks at Elixa or LED Man sell basic LED arrays for much less (both these sites pretty much have identical offerings) and I think they are a better buy.

This may all seem like a lot of money, and it is, but the reality is that I spend over $300 for two 60gm tubes of Elidel or Protopic which may last me a week if I'm having a bad skin episode, my Neurontin prescription costs even more than that. I can easily spend over $1500 some months. I have no medical coverage, I am self-employed. It's insane what I am charged by these pharmacies. If I this LED therapy works for my eczema too I will be one very happy camper -- and may actually save money in the long run. Presently I use the Dimalux 660nm panels on my face, I will use the 660nm+880nm panels and the LED Man 660+880 array for my skin everywhere else once that new array arrives. I have used the Photon Tender on my arms and lower legs and it has reduced the itchiness I get, but only temporarily. The times I apply it to those areas I do not need to apply my steroids that night. But, it's just such a small head and it's so tedious and time consuming that I'm waiting for my LED Man unit before I get serious on that front.

To conclude this long post, I offer this opinion: The unit that IowaDavid has fabricated is just as safe and effective as any that I have or am in the process of getting. He has approached his model thoughtfully and if you are in the least bit handy then I would get the instructions from him and follow them to the letter.

Hope this all is helpful to you.

Twickle Purple

Happiness is a choice.

It's good that the red light is helping you so much, Twickle Purple.

I hadn't put much stock in what Dr Nase had said about the red light but was still glad to see that even the doctor against LEDs in the above article said nothing about them being at all dangerous or causing burns. I guess like most of us I am very scared about doing anything that would make my skin worse.

I've ordered a red light array which should be arriving any day now. So now i am going to definetly give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by Froggirl
    I've ordered a red light array which should be arriving any day now. So now i am going to definetly give it a go!
    Good for you! You won't regret it -- I can't say enough good things about it... as you probably are aware.

Happiness is a choice.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ind...c=109129&st=20

Seems like some of the poeple are seeing similar results as TP. I am interested in of course the reduced redness, but I have large pores and fight dry/oily aspects as well. Seems interesting...I will give it a go a few months after I finish IPL.

Wow, we are going to have our very own 'test group'. If we have enough members doing this maybe, hopefully, some scientist will pay attention and try to figure out why/how it's working! I really think with this Red Light Therapy we all are ahead of the curve.

Hozer2k, shop around before you decide, it's appalling what's being charged for these very simple devices. Oddly, the big unit I bought was the best value in terms of the number of LEDs for the price when compared to others on the market. So far the best value is home built as per IowaDavid directions, but only if you are handy and familiar around this type of thing (electronics, etc.) next best is the Elixa and LED Man. Acnelamp is fancy and conveniently designed but you pay more for it. I know there are more types out there but I think they have less lights.

Best success to you... and us all!
    Twickle Purple

Happiness is a choice.