Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accutane...scared to take... Success stories?

Default Accutane...scared to take... Success stories?

Hi -

New to the Forum.

Am 38 and have had mild Rosacea for 6 years. Mainly, the not-so nice pink cheeks and nose. Occassional minor breakouts.

Initially in 2000, had a several series of IPL's. Had a bit of melasma (brown pigment patches) to get rid of too. Got those nice babies after giving birth to our daughter. IPL helped with the melasma and a little bit with the redness. The ruddiness always came back though...

Early Summer this year, switched to new Derm. They have the new Lumenis 1 IPL which I thought was better. My other derm had some older (maybe original model) and thought trying a newer machine would be better. Know it's probably my Rosacea, but have had 4 IPL's and though my melasma is nearly gone, I've had more breakouts and a case of dermatitis since! Was on Doxy (40 mg) July for minor breakouts. Put on Doryx a few weeks ago for dermatitis on full jaw/chin line.... Also, getting a few painful breakouts on sides of nose and on chin. Got a few cyst ones on my nose a few weeks ago too. Tried Metrogel awhile back, didn't seem to work...

Yesterday, Derm. recommended 1 more IPL to finish the series. Then wants to consult and try Accutane. Excited and very cautious at the same time. Seen some success stories and then not. Advice? Success anyone wants to share? Pitfalls or things to avoid on Accutane? Read very low dose is best... that will be the only way I'll do it. Don't want to worsen my condition..

Other tidbits about me, easily flush when nervous/stressed/embarrassed. Oily chin, nose, forehead. Drier cheeks. Large pores on nose and lovely blackheads.... After I do a light mask, they remain somewhat clear, then get whitish filled, then blackheads. Was reading about SD - not sure if I have that or not?

Really feel gloomy about my skin lately - harder to speak to people and quality of life not as fun.... Envy folks with small pores and clear skin - totally sucks to have this. Know I could have worse things and am grateful for that.

Thanks again for an awesome informational site. I appreciate any advice you have.

Yvette

Hi Yvette and welcome to the site.

Accutane, like a lot of medications/topicals affects everyone differently. At a low dose such as 10mg per day (which is recommended for rosacea sufferers) many of the common side effects such as extremely dry skin and peeling lips are minimised (in most cases). I suffered a bit with peeling lips in the early days but that is long gone.

I have been taking 10mg/day since last October. P&P have gone and i havent had a pimple or zit anywhere on my body in months. I do think that my face is more red since i've been on this but its hard to be subjective since i think i have a tendency to exagerate my symptoms at times! I'm stopping at the end of October then waiting for at least 6 months before having IPL. Im hoping the redness will reduce a bit when i stop though.

Definitely discuss things with your derm but please please please dont let him coax you into taking a higher dose - this can really worsen some symptoms and send your rosacea into overdrive!

Thanks RedRum!

Sent you an email asking more details about your Accutane journey. It sounds like your treatment has been successful. Did you have any IPL's before Accutane?

Again thank you for your input and warm welcome.

Yvette

Default Accutane Hx

I took accutane for a year, 10mg. qod. (I think 10mg. qd is too much). It worked great! No more papules, redness or flushing. After a year I stopped to see if it would "shut down the entire inflammatory process", in Dr. Nase's words. It did indeed. For an entire year I had no more rosacea. Then one morning it came back. Tried accutane again, but it no longer worked. Then got six IPL treatments, which didn't work. Am now thinking about clairythromycin.

I would definately recommend accutane at the 10mg qod dose. Only side effect was dry lips. Sure wish I could get it to work for me again! Hope this helps. -

Accutane is know for its side-effect like depression and such i was just wondering is it possible to get those side-effect with only 10mg/day or every other day? Never really thought about that until now for some reason...

Default Low-dose Accutane side effects

Most of the well known side effects of Accutane refer to the dose for acne patients, which can be up to 120mg qd. At 10 mg qod, these side effects do not exist, in my opinion/experience. Just don't get pregnant if you are a female (or male!) while taking accutane at any dose. I would recommend the 10mg qod dosage to anyone with moderate-severe rosacea.

Going into my 7th month on Accutane - no depression, just slightly dry lips and hair.

Default Re: Low-dose Accutane side effects

Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    Most of the well known side effects of Accutane refer to the dose for acne patients, which can be up to 120mg qd. At 10 mg qod, these side effects do not exist, in my opinion/experience.

Anybody considering taking this drug needs to remember that at whatever dose you go on - it affects us all DIFFERENTLY.

For me - it caused problems with my eyes that I could never have imagined, some of which I am still dealing with now and this was low dose. Was it worth it? For me, I cant say it was.

You really have to take other peoples accounts with a grain of salt - YOU may react completely different. At the end of the day you need to figure out whether you want to take the risk - just because its low dose, you should not just assume there are no/minimal risks.

Yes I agree high doses on this drug can make anyone experience the bad side effects, This drug should be taken in low doses, like i mentioned before if you had a headache you wouldnt take the whole bottle of asprin for it would you? Im sure you would have some bad asprin side effects but you dont hear about that. Yes everybody reacts different to accutane, it mostly depends on the areas of acne and reason your taking it, if your going to take it like me then its for rhinopyma so i can stop and hopefully reverse the stages of rhinopyma and stop the oil and close the large pores, in that case should really be low doses, for someone with acne zits pimples p p all over thier face in a bad way then higher doses are ok but not to high

As I said - I was on low dose myself - dont assume thats it safe just because its low dose - Im talking 10mg/day then 5, I still had problems.

Of course, it may just be that I was extremely sensitive to it and thats why I experienced the problems I did. Had I been on an even higher dose, god knows what would have happened.

I believed that because I was going on a low dose that meant it was relatively risk free - not so.

I must emphasise - Im not trying to persuade anyone not to try it, I wouldnt have listened and we all have to do our own thing at the end of the day. This is just MY experience.

Nikkilou (not sure why it says guest on the post - thought I had logged in! - oh well).