Thread: Would Blue LEDs be a possible treatment for rosacea?

Default Would Blue LEDs be a possible treatment for rosacea?

I ask because this article mentions the use of blue LEDs to kill bacteria.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060908/ap_on_hi_te/finland_technolog............

Hi todmiller,

Different color light affects us differently. The blue is more into the UV end (which kiils bacteria) and can really aggravate flushing skin/rosacea. The Red is more calming and 'healing'. The P+P from rosacea are not the same as the pimples of acne.

PS. This is award TERRIFIC news for LED therapy believers and users by the way.

Happiness is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickle Purple
    The blue is more into the UV end (which kiils bacteria) and can really aggravate flushing skin/rosacea.
    I'd like to give my own personal expeience with blue LED. The reason I opted for the blue LED is because I have some acne problems as well. The blue LED has not aggravated my Rosacea AT ALL, if anything, it has potentiated the effects of the red light. I haven't come acoss any readins saying that the blue led can aggravate even sensitive skin. I doubt it agravates rosacea at all.

Overall RLT has been beneficial for me. It is now a mainstay of my daily regimen.

That is really good to hear fut. My son has had terrible acne but also has my sensitive skin and pinkness/flushing. I'll buy him a blue lamp and see how he does.

Happiness is a choice.

Any update on this? I am curious about the blue as well, especially for transient acne and beard area acne.

An excerpt from this PDF, on using LED therapy for acne:

Alternating red (633 nm) and blue LED light (415 nm) in a series of eight sessions shows promising results in the treatment of mild to severe acne, according to Tony Chu, M.D., consultant dermatologist, substituting presenter for Bruce Russell, M.D. “Dr. Russell showed that LED red-blue therapy gave significantly better results than blue light, oral antibiotics, and topical therapy,” Dr. Chu said. “Results with the LED included 81% reduction in lesion count at 12 weeks and marked reduction in pore size, with no damage to the sebaceous gland.” Dr. Chu is head of dermatology at Hammersmith Hospital in London. According to Dr. Chu, Propionibacterium acnes absorbs blue light, which reacts with intracellular coproporphyrin III to produce singlet oxygen which destroys only bacteria and not the surrounding tissue. “The rationale behind using red and blue light is that red light has been used for many years to accelerate healing in chronic leg ulcers and non-healing lesions,” Dr. Chu said. “It is thought to have an anti-inflammatory effect and to work via cytokine induction.” How red and blue light is used alternately reduces sebum excretion and post treatment flare-up needs to be further investigated, he added.

Happiness is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickle Purple
    The blue is more into the UV end (which kiils bacteria) and can really aggravate flushing skin/rosacea
    This is incorrect. I was told this verbally and should not have repeated it. Enough has been written that can be found on the Internet to support that Rosacea sufferers see a benefit from the blue/red combo.

Happiness is a choice.

The light has helped my skin. I tend to mi it up, sometimes the blue red combo for 15x2 minutes a day then the rest just the plain red light. It has been working well for me.