Thread: Sodium sulfacetamide 10%/sulfur 5% products

Default Sodium sulfacetamide 10%/sulfur 5% products

I've been to my doctor today and Sodium sulfacetamide 10%/sulfur 5% products are not available in Australia. I can't find anything else which can treat both seb derm and rosacea.

The only thing that works for my seb derm is hydrocortisone, but obviously this is not great. So does anyone have any ideas on how i could get hold of any of the below ?

Nicosyn[TM], Sulfacet-R[R] tinted and tint-free, Plexion[R], Avar[TM], Rosula[R], Rosanil[TM], Clenia[TM]),Plexion[R] SCT, Clenia[TM], Rosac[R]), Avar Green[TM], Avar[TM], Rosula[R]).

I have tried looking at some of the sites where prescription drugs can be bought without scrips but none of them seem to carry any of the below. How come i can buy serious medication like valium without a script but i can't buy some face wash! LOL

Kate

Hi Kate

Your Derm or GP can prescribe a cream to be made up by your local pharmacist. Did your doc give you a prescription? Pharmacists carry all the ingredients and can make a cream up, even if it doesn't carry a brand name. Perhaps you could check that out?

Jen
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Default rosacea + seb derm

Rosacea-ltd targets BOTH rosacea/seb derm supposedly. www.rosacea-ltd.com

Thanks for the responses.

That's great if i can ask for a script to be made up. My doctor didn't say that...proably because I was asking a million different things at once.

I've looked at Ltd disks a few time, they are on my list of things to try. I have very sensative reactive skin though so would like to try a cheaper sulfur product first, just in case i can't use it.

I finally got around to asking my derm about these and his response was 'oh they are horrible things why would you want to put them on your face!' which wasn't quite was i was expecting! lol

I think it may have been because he had just finshed telling me that, even without rosacea, i have very thin and sensative skin. He used the analogy of my fair skin being like a sheet of paper whereas olive skin is like a book.

I googled sulfer and sulfacetaminde and found this, so maybe it really isn't a good treatment for sensative skin?!

Sulfacetamide: An antibiotic used to treat rosacea.

Sulfer lotions: A topical therapy that causes drying and peeling of the skin, allowing excess oil and dirt to be easily washed away.
    Which does make me think he was right that they would not be a good idea for sensative skin

I was prescribed a sodium sulfameticide wash and some metrogel when I went to the incredibly helpful (heavy sarcasm there) dermatologist a couple years ago. All the wash seems to do is strip my skin raw and make it feel horrible.

Every now and then I still use it, thinking that it'll work this time, but all it still does is make a mess of me.

That's a good to know. I do the same thing with topical that cause bad reactions, they sit in the drawer for ages and then i decide to use them again and quickly find out why i stopped in the first place!

I did also getting around to asking my doctor about these treatments and he said they were very very irritating compounds and not at all suitable for my skin. It's funny though how ideas about treatments can vary so much between countries!

Default Seb derm/Rosacea/Sulfur

Have you tried using Nizoral 2% as an aid to controlling your seb derm?
    It is a shampoo. I use it a couple of times per week and even wash it all over my face as well. Keep in mind, it does NOT say to do this on the bottle directions, but I was at wits end as to how to control the flakiness around my ears and nose and so I thought, what the heck! The shampoo gets on the face anyway,I am going to see what happens if I gentley rub it over my face on purpose.
    My rosacea is vastly improved now, as I have had LOTS of IPL. But rosacea too can cause oily flakiness, so at times, I never knew which was which. Rosacea, or seb derm or both? However, I have to say, I rarely have hair line or 'around ear' problems any more, so maybe the Nizoral is helping?
    As for sulphur drugs. I too was interested in these as I am allergic to tetracycline ( which really throws a spanner in the works). I take Erythromycin, but it really doesn't work well. ( at least, not any more).
    As I mentioned, I am much better now, due to all the IPL but at times, I can't get a hold on the pustules, so I decided to ask my pharmacist if there was a low does sulfur drug, OTC and he suggested I try 'Clearasil - vanishing pimple treatment cream'. He recommended this one, as it doesn't contain B Peroxide, which as we all know is an extreme irritant for rosaceans. At the time I was having constant outbreaks on the chin and my oral antibiotics were not winning the battle.
    Ingredients are :
    Triclosan 0.1% w/w
    Sulfur Precipitated 8% w/w
    Bentonite 10% w/w

I found this has helped me. And I still use it to spot treat. I would hesitate to spread it all over my face though.

Default Seb derm/Rosacea/Suphur

Oh, I guess I ought to mention again ( regarding a previous post in a different section). The fact I am now using Environ skin care which has active ingredients, has no doubt helped get a hold on the pustules over all as well.
    But how I wish, something would stamp them out altogether!
    Still, as I keep reminding myself when I feel all negative and depressed, I AM vastly improved and I can get out and about like a human being now.