Thread: Antihistamine question; to all who used/uses them!

Default Antihistamine question; to all who used/uses them!

Hi all,

I've lately been taking the antidepressant mirtazapine with some succes. I feel that I benefit somewhat from the antihistaminic actions of mirtazapine, but now it's a problem wether or not I should stick to my higher doses, which is better for my depresssion/anxiety (makes me almost normal again, lol, serious), or should drop the dose, so the antihistaminic actions are much higher (strange way of acting, but that's what it does). I'm thinking about giving another antihistamine a try once more. I've tried Zyrtec, allerfre etc. over the counter in the past, but they seemed to make me more red even...

I hope my face will calm down a bit more in time and will call my gp tomorrow for a prescription of hydroxyzine and perhaps one for Tavegil (Clemastine). Both are mentioned here on the forum as helpful for rosacea related flushing.

My question: can anyone who has good or bad experience with any antihistamine, perhaps write here about it? Which ones are more or less usefull for rosacea flushing and redness I wonder. Any input will be highly appreciated!

Best wishes,

Natalja (Holland)

Natalja,

I have tried hydroxyzine in the past but didn't give it enough time. I did not sense that it helped or hurt. I only used it for a week or so because I was in a phase where I wanted to stop taking any meds. Good luck experimenting.

Matt

Thanks for sharing that, Matt!

Hey, I have been using Remeron for the past few weeks, and I definitely think it has been helping with the redness and flushing. I take 45mg every night, and it helps keep the flushing down the next day. Just my 2 cents.

Great to hear FU!
    So it works even on 45 mg!

I've tried Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra all to no avail. Benadryl however, stops the burning and itching somewhat (certainly helps with the eyes)- maybe b/c it makes me fall asleep 30 minutes after taking it. My two cents.

Hi all,

I've noticed that claritin (loratidine) makes my face a bit more pale, but only tried it today, so will need to try it a lot longer I think before I can determine for sure if it works or not.

BUT: I read this statement from Dr. Nase, and wonder if anyone can tell me if this is true.

http://rosacea.ii.net/hl/2139.html

"When you go off these medications after having taken it for a while,
    you may experience more flushing or dilation than pre-antihistamines. This is because: Antihistamines block the receptors for histamine such that histamine can't bind and therefore can't cause an effect. After 20 to 40 days of continual use, the body thinks that it needs more histamine receptors -- it makes them and places them with the pre-existing receptors. Now if you all of a sudden stop blocking these receptors, then histamine is able to bind to the normal histamine receptors and to the newly formed receptors. So either decrease the dose slowly or don't cycle on and off for extended periods of time."

Hello natalja.

I've been using loratadine and ketotifen with a significat reduction in redness and flushing.

I've also used cetirizine and fexofenadine(allegra), but found loratadine and ketotifen better ( and cheaper).

Regarding dr.Nase's affirmation, I consider that it could be plausible, but have found no confirmation in my experiences.
    Regards,

Adrian

I will try and see what my allergist says about this when i go back in two weeks.

I take anithistamines a bit an really don't want to end up making anything worse either.

I wnder: I take mirtazapine, and it supposes to act like an antihistamine, similar to Benadryl:

http://www.medicinenet.com/mirtazapine/article.htm

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20061003/msgs/691485.html

-http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20061003/msgs/691499.html

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20061003/msgs/691524.html

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/498023_14

I wonder if this should be enough by itself.. I will continue to try some other antihistamines, to see if they might help even more, but I wonder how strong the antihistamine effect of mirtazapine by itself is..