Thread: Strontium

Default Strontium

I remember a while back there being talk of Strontium products being useful at desensitizing the skin to harsh topicals and weather conditions.

Has anyone had any experience with these types of products?

Like this for example?

http://www.rosaceacare.com/products/strlotion.html

BB

I recently bought the sample pack of the products including a sample of the calming lotion. I didn't notice any reduction in the redness but stopped using it after 4 days as I thought it was making me pimply. I 'll give it another go though in a week or two.

I have not tried the Rosacea Care strontium, but am currently trying the "Celestite Serum" stontium spray from skinactives - for the last three days. I am using it under a new sunscreen I am trying and so far no problems, no irritation. I've noticed my lunchtime flush is decreased quite a bit. Usually after I eat lunch I have a little flush, not for the last three days. I can't decide if it's the sunscreen or the Strontium, but I work inside so I'm thinking it's the strontium - unless the sunscreen is blocking the flourescent lighting and helping in some way.

Either way, I did try it only on one side of the face the first morning and noticed less sensitivity on that side when I was pushing my triggers that day. My skin is not really sensitive these days, but I was able to feel the difference.

The new sunscreen I'm trying is the new Vanicream SPF 60. There are no chemical sunscreens in it and the formulation is much less heavy and shiny. It has not made me break out in acne the way the original did.

Cheers!

Thanks for the inputs guys, much appreciated. I think I'll have to give one of these products a whirl. I never realised but I am quite intolerant to topicals its seems, not to mention harsh weather conditions! Will have to see if this makes a difference.

Cheers,

BB

This user has been banned from this forum

Micronized zinc sunscreens really cover up red marks and flushes. A product that claims to reduce sensitivity should be tested without the sunscreen on top, otherwise it would be like testing a product agains wrinkles with makeup on top lol

Yes good point. I am just kicking myself for trying two things at once....grrrr! I'm not too upset since they both seem to be fine so far.

I can feel the flush when it happens but did not feel it. It just did not happen. The sunscreen is more transparent than the original. It soaks in nicely. I don't notice a whitish cast, but it may still be there...just more subtle.. I wonder if it blocks the flourescent lighting..you think? I do think I"m sensitive to flourescent lights.

Cheers!

Artist

Micronized zinc sunscreens are not ghostly white like the old usual zinc suncreens but there is always a subtle white that evens out skin tone and hides imperfections. My skin usually looks perfect with the sunscreen and mattifier on top at SPF around 30. The sunscreen you are talking about is even higher SPF so it contains even more zinc and titanium oxides so the effect will be even more pronounced.

To my surpise fluorescent lamps generate UV light inside them (253.7 nm and 185 nm which is UVC) which is converted on its way out by the white phosporous on the lamp glass into visible light:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

I wonder how much of the UV light penetrates through the phosphorous but my guess is very little.

The sunscreens are designed to block UV light not visible light. The fact you see your skin below the sunscreen means it doesn't block the visible light.

Interesting... Zinc and Titanium block uv rays as physical sunblocks, hence the faint white cast usually seen. So, it seems they would block many types of light rays, similar to the way my clothing blocks visible light from my skin.. Not so? I wonder, do the flourescent rays penetrate the physical barrier? I'm not sure if there is an answer there, just pondering.

Artist

The old type of Zinc and Ti oxides do block visible light partially. The fact you still see your skin below them means the blockage is partial.

The new micronized Zinc and Ti have particle size smaller than the wavelength of visible light (particle size must be smaller than 200 nm). They scatter UV light a lot because the wavelength of UV is in the 200 nm range but they don't scatter visible light cause its wavelength is 2-4 times bigger than the particle size. That is why the micronized Zinc and Ti are much less visible than the old versions.

ohhh that makes sense. Thanks! I think it must be the strontium that was helping then.

Artist