Thread: Dr Darm and condensed IPL treatment

Default Dr Darm and condensed IPL treatment

I visited Dr Nase's website today to look for some old info and noticed that his latest headline concerns Dr Darm and the fact that he might lose his licence to practice due to several issues...also, he condemns the condensed IPL protocol and calls it 'snake oil'...
    Didn't Dr Nase 'pioneer' the condensed protocol with Darm? I don't know for sure but i thought that was the case...

That's correct - that was the reason I flew out to Oregon last December for the condensed treatments, Dr. Nase writing on this board about how revolutionary the treatments were. - Yesterday I read the articles on Dr. Nases' website and was shocked at what he said...

You'd think a self-styled "rosacea expert" wouldn't change his mind so often. Or maybe Dr. Darm stopped paying him his monthly consultation fee.
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

The condensed protocol was a new thing they were trying out back then. Sure turned out to be downright dangerous for a lot of people. Oh well, too bad for us.
    - Rachel Rose

Yeah, I was surprised to read that too as I've been having exceptional results with this protocol. Others have too as well as have not. I emailed Dr. Nase about it and why the 180 degree turnaround and he said he was going to wait and see when he got out there (to start that Rosacea Institute thing) before he fully endorsed it.

That didn't make sense to me at all and it's my feeling that he's getting Darm back for dropping him as a consultant. If the motivation was truly to be a "rosacea advocate" then he should put statements in by patients who have had positive experiences in addition to Andrew Reids negative comments and let people make up their own minds.

Also, the ethical concerns all came up on the RS board last year and if I recall, Nase vigorously defended Darm at the time so I'm just baffled why he would rehash this now.

Believe me, I'm usually a defender and big fan of Dr. Nase but for him to slam Dr. Darm like that so one sidedly is beyond poor taste and completely counterproductive towards finding a cure.

Tricia

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia

Believe me, I'm usually a defender and big fan of Dr. Nase but for him to slam Dr. Darm like that so one sidedly is beyond poor taste and completely counterproductive towards finding a cure.

Tricia
    Took the words out of my mouth =\ I remember foloowing Dr. Nase's posts before all of this was known. He spoke as if the treatments were effective in that they do not let angiogenesis occur. He convinced me and many others, i'm sure. He doesn't even brin g up that point anymore and talks of it like he never supported it in the first place.

Another thing that pissed me off was with Accutane. I read every single thing Dr. nase said about accutane in his postings, books etc. He made it out to seem like everyone was better off with this treatment. After taking it and regretting it later, Dr. nase makes a post about how "some people get good results, other, diddly squat" I'm not saying that is Dr. Nase's fault but perhaps he should try to be less of a salesman and bring all the information to the table.

I'm still a supported of Dr. Nase - i've just learned that you should really take anyones advice with a grain of salt no matter who they are. Especially when it comes to online forums!

Default best treatment interval?

I had my first Vbeam two weeks ago and am about to have another one in a week's time.....I wanted to have my treatments every 3 weeks (rather than every 4 or more weeks) in order to prevent angiogenesis, but would like to clear up this point about treatment intervals first..

What is the latest feeling about what is the optimum time interval between IPL/laser treatments?

If the skin seems to be sufficiently recovered after 3 weeks is there any advantage to going ahead and having treatment then or is the prevention of angiogenesis theory not thought to be true anymore?

Even if it does not help prevent angiogenesis to have treatments at more frequent intervals, are there significant disadvantages in doing so?

I don't really understand what happens with the growth of new vessels after treatment and regrowth of old ones - perhaps you need to allow regrowth of vessls to occur in order to be able zap them away? Maybe if you zap away before regrowth has happened, the regrowth will simply happen at a later stage and thus you will be wasting your money zapping when many offending vessels have not yet appeared again.......I'm confused!

please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia
    RS board last year and if I recall, Nase vigorously defended Darm at the time so I'm just baffled why he would rehash this now.

Tricia
    Its not too big of a mystery. As shown in the infamous Darm-Nase contract on the debunk site, Nase' vigorous defense of Darm took place while Nase was under contract to Darm at an initial salary of $72,000 annually. The alleged Oregon research agenda was really just marketing and patient-lead generation, specifically "The services to be provided by Dr. Nase under this agreement are intended to increase the number of patients for the Clinic."

Once this deal went South, so did Nase' support of Darm. It was the money, pure and simple.

Rick

Default dr Darm

I'm here out in Oregon and was going to post after last treatment tomorrow but saw this thread and decided to post now. Came out here from New Jersey after vbeam started to fail after 1 year. Prior to that 10 failed ipls. I have been very happy with the care I have received here. Both the doctor and every single one of his staff have been wonderful to me. My Rosacea is not "cured" but definately seems to be much improved. So far I have had some redness lasting for a few hours after each treatment but other than that no serious flares- hope that continues. I plan to come back again for more treatment. Please feel free to e-mail me if there are any questions My 2 cents on Dr. Nase is that he provides very useful information and has been very helpful to people with this disease- however- I would be very wary of going to any doctors on his recommendation. I went to a doctor in New York that he touted on line and in his book- the man was psycho.I also think Dr. Nase has some mental issues. You really have to trust the recommendations of other patients.I think Dr. Darm probably realized he made a mistake getting involved with him.
    arlene