Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: seborrheic dermatitis gene identified by Israeli researchers

Default seborrheic dermatitis gene identified by Israeli researchers

Hopefully this will lead to new drugs or potential cures for seborrheic dermatitis.

Jun. 14 - A new gene associated with a variant of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis has been identified by a research group led by Dr. Ohad Birk at the Morris Kahn Laboratory of Human Genetics at Ben Gurion University and Soroka Medical Center. The gene discovered by the Israeli researchers is of much interest as it allows the first major molecular insight into why the specific skin cells proliferate excessively, causing these two common skin diseases. Psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis affect 2-3% of the population worldwide and 85% of AIDS patients. Both skin diseases are caused by excessive proliferation of specific cells (keratinocytes) in the skin. To date, there is only very limited understanding as to the molecular mechanisms causing these two common disorders. The two-and-a-half-year study examined an Israeli Moroccan Jewish family with 44 members over five generations who showed signs characteristic of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis. By using advanced techniques to analyze DNA samples of the affected members of the family and comparing them to normal, unmutated DNA, Ramon Birnbaum, a doctoral student at Birk's laboratory, has succeeded in pinning the beginning of the molecular pathway on a mutation in a gene that is normally expressed, or "turned on" in the keratinocytes. The gene is believed to suppress or regulate cell proliferation and is thought to be a transcription factor, meaning that it switches on other genes, which may also play a role in the disease. When mutated, this regulation malfunctions, enabling excessive proliferation of skin cells and calling in cells of the immune system. The findings, to be reported in this month's issue of Nature Genetics, allow new insights into the mechanism of disease in psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis. In turn, these insights are likely to assist pharmaceutical companies in developing "smart drugs" for these two common skin diseases.
    http://www.israel21c.org/bin/en.jsp?...&Date=06/14/06

Great find Boris! Very interesting.

Jen
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Thanks polster!

Default Re: seborrheic dermatitis gene identified by Israeli researc

Thanks a lot Polster for this exciting post!! We will win the fighting with seb derm battle

Best wishes, Winnie

Quote Originally Posted by polster
    Hopefully this will lead to new drugs or potential cures for seborrheic dermatitis.

Jun. 14 - A new gene associated with a variant of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis has been identified by a research group led by Dr. Ohad Birk at the Morris Kahn Laboratory of Human Genetics at Ben Gurion University and Soroka Medical Center. The gene discovered by the Israeli researchers is of much interest as it allows the first major molecular insight into why the specific skin cells proliferate excessively, causing these two common skin diseases. Psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis affect 2-3% of the population worldwide and 85% of AIDS patients. Both skin diseases are caused by excessive proliferation of specific cells (keratinocytes) in the skin. To date, there is only very limited understanding as to the molecular mechanisms causing these two common disorders. The two-and-a-half-year study examined an Israeli Moroccan Jewish family with 44 members over five generations who showed signs characteristic of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis. By using advanced techniques to analyze DNA samples of the affected members of the family and comparing them to normal, unmutated DNA, Ramon Birnbaum, a doctoral student at Birk's laboratory, has succeeded in pinning the beginning of the molecular pathway on a mutation in a gene that is normally expressed, or "turned on" in the keratinocytes. The gene is believed to suppress or regulate cell proliferation and is thought to be a transcription factor, meaning that it switches on other genes, which may also play a role in the disease. When mutated, this regulation malfunctions, enabling excessive proliferation of skin cells and calling in cells of the immune system. The findings, to be reported in this month's issue of Nature Genetics, allow new insights into the mechanism of disease in psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis. In turn, these insights are likely to assist pharmaceutical companies in developing "smart drugs" for these two common skin diseases.
    [I have mild seborrheic dermatitis around both sides of my nose and along the eye brows. My nose is a little bit oily, other areas of my face is normal.]

Quote Originally Posted by polster View Post

\

I don't believe this disease is caused by genes!

My dad suffers from psoriasis and have always thought that seb derm was some sort of psoriasis gene mutation

Quote Originally Posted by dan pacifik View Post
    My dad suffers from psoriasis and have always thought that seb derm was some sort of psoriasis gene mutation
    my dad and I suffer from seb derm, one of my sisters suffers from eczema, and my other sister suffers from psoraisis

Very nice! This is really a big step! I am certain that this will be the end of seb derm if they get the drug working without side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by spuggylegs View Post
    my dad and I suffer from seb derm, one of my sisters suffers from eczema, and my other sister suffers from psoraisis
    Interesting!!
    Did you used any anti biotics before..If so what kind if you do remember.. or fitness shakes or any other medications?
    What about your diets @ home.. About other things than SD I don't know much. But I do know it's working quit differently!

Sorry but I don't think a drug will be the solution for this.

Why not?