Rhinophyma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhinophyma

Isn't it genetic? And also, are there stand-alone cases? Where people have rhinophyma, but no other rosacea symptoms?

I ask not because I'm one of those paranoid people who think they have it, but simply because I am trying to piece together the shattered pieces of rosacean knowledge.

Comment

generally thought to be an end stage

All the phymatous rosacea cases are the end stage of untreated rosacea. 23
      ---page 5 Rosacea 101

“The most widely accepted theory is that rhinophyma is the end stage result of chronic acne rosacea.”554
      page 209 Rosacea 101

end notes
      “‘phymas’ are thought to be the end stage of the rosacea spectrum of skin disease.”
      Otophyma: a case report.
      J Laryngol Otol. 2007 May 22; Daniels K, Haddow K.
      Department of Otolaryngology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, Scotland, UK.

Excision of rhinophyma with a laser scanner handpiece—a modified technique.
      Skoulakis CE, Papadakis CE, Papadakis DG, Bizakis JG, Kyrmizakis DE, Helidonis ES.
      Rhinology. 2002 Jun;40(2):83-7.

Rosacea 101 -
      http://tinyurl.com/7k53o5

This is the general consensus, but as with just about everything rosacea, there may be exceptions. Whether rosacea is genetic is still debated but many feel that the evidence points to it being genetic and there is quite a lot of discussion regarding this subject, but if rhinophyma is an 'untreated end result' stage, then the environment is a factor. One needs to change the 'environment' to stop the progression.
      Last edited by Brady Barrows; 5 January 2009, 06:38 PM.
      Brady Barrows
      Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Rhinophyma

Hello
        In my experience and from my observation of some other people, you can have phymatous rosacea without the other symptoms. I have phymatous rosacea but am not very red at all. In fact, when I tell people I have rosacea they think I'm lying because I don't look like it.
        Queta
        "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
        Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

You will find that Dr Crouch answered alot of questions about this subject in his latest Q&A. In fact if you scroll down the page about halfway you will find an interesting bit

http://rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Pet..._Interview.php

Comment

Working...
          X