X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElaineA
    replied
    Originally posted by Nik89 View Post
    Not much to report from the first dose of ivermectin, just a couple of die offs that perhaps I would have had anyway.

I started the proper treatment protocol with metronidazole yesterday, so we'll see what happens.
    It may take a few days for more die offs. That varies. The second weekly dose of oral Ivermectin should knock out any eggs that hatch after the first dose. The Oral Metronidazole kills them too or at least makes the mites environment really unpleasant for them. When I took the 2 drug treatment, I told my husband I was trying to make myself taste bad to the bugs! Its a good goal...-)

Good luck with the treatment. I hope it works for you as well as it did for me! Please keep us posted as to how this turns out for you.

Leave a comment:

• Nik89
    replied
    Not much to report from the first dose of ivermectin, just a couple of die offs that perhaps I would have had anyway.

I started the proper treatment protocol with metronidazole yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• Rubydo1
    replied
    Originally posted by ElaineA View Post
    I'm not an doctor. But I have read that some doctors do prescribe the oral Ivermectin for periods of 2, 4, or 6 weeks. If you don't have any die offs this time, that could be a sign that the first 2 doses knocked them out. Have to wait and see what happens in a few days like before.

How are your eyes doing?
    My glands seem a little better but eyes very dry still. I’ve got some tiny spots this week but you can hardly see them. No matter how much heat I apply can’t seem to get my oil going. I’m cleaning my lid margins with distilled warm water and massaging them. Chin is a bit sore and itchy. But not as painful as last two weeks.
    I’m using DHC oil to cleanse to see if I get my pores unblocked. I feel ok as regards taking the tablets.
    No side effects.

Leave a comment:

• ElaineA
    replied
    Originally posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    Not sure if it’s safe but I took a third does 2 weeks to the day after my second dose.
    I'm not an doctor. But I have read that some doctors do prescribe the oral Ivermectin for periods of 2, 4, or 6 weeks. If you don't have any die offs this time, that could be a sign that the first 2 doses knocked them out. Have to wait and see what happens in a few days like before.

How are your eyes doing?

Leave a comment:

• Rubydo1
    replied
    Die off not so bad today was thinking of taking a third dose in another week.
    Not sure if it’s safe but I took a third does 2 weeks to the day after my second dose.

Leave a comment:

• Rubydo1
    replied
    Like Elaine says, not all is lost. There is a chance that ivermectin alone can cure demodex. In any case, taking it orally enables you to deal with the problem systematically and target areas like the eyes that would otherwise be hard to treat. At worst, the demodex count will still be reduced. Then topicals like zz cream, soolantra and cliradex can deal with the problem externally and further reduce the mite count and be used as maintenance to keep them below a problematic level.
    Die off not so bad today was thinking of taking a third dose in another week.

Leave a comment:

• Nik89
    replied
    Great so me taking oral ivermectin on it’s own probably is not going to do the job .
    I can’t do antibiotics. Plus I couldn’t get hold ot that anyway
    Like Elaine says, not all is lost. There is a chance that ivermectin alone can cure demodex. In any case, taking it orally enables you to deal with the problem systematically and target areas like the eyes that would otherwise be hard to treat. At worst, the demodex count will still be reduced. Then topicals like zz cream, soolantra and cliradex can deal with the problem externally and further reduce the mite count and be used as maintenance to keep them below a problematic level.

Leave a comment:

• ElaineA
    replied
    Great so me taking oral ivermectin on it’s own probably is not going to do the job .
    Don't give up! All the die offs you have been having indicate that the Oral Ivermectin is working to kill the mites. Oral Ivermectin by itself has cured some people as documented in numerous medical studies on individuals. A single dose of Ivermectin was how doctors finally treated the 12 year old girl with demodicosis. It worked. She had been misdiagnosed for a year.

If you could take the Oral Metronidazole it could make the treatment work better. But the oral Ivermectin can still be effective by itself. Oral Metronidazole can also be effective by itself. The 2 drugs used together had a better success rate than Ivermectin alone in that medical study.

Leave a comment:

• Rubydo1
    replied
    Oral Metronidazole has a dual classification. It is both an anti-parasitic drug and an antibiotic. It is special in that respect. Most, if not all, other antibiotics have no anti-parasitic effect. Its been around since about 1960 and is on the WHO's list of 100 essential medicines. Like Oral Ivermectin, Oral Metronidazole has a good safety record.

Oral Metro breaks down in the body to at least 5 known metabolic compounds. They think that the Oral Metro works against Demodex through those metabolic compounds rather than directly. Topical Metronidazole (aka Metrogel) has little or no effect against demodex, but the oral version works. One report said that doctors dipped live demodex into 100% liquid Metronidazole and it did not kill the demodex. It appears that how the human body processes the oral Metro is what kills the parasites.

Oral Metronidazole has been given alone to treat demodex and is also effective. It seems from the study that the 2 oral drugs when combined are even more effective.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6...e-oral/details

Leave a comment:

• ElaineA
    replied
    Thanks, that's good to know.

I will do!
    And the other precaution with Oral Metronidazole is do not drink alcohol while taking this drug and for 72 hours after the last tablet.

Leave a comment:

• ElaineA
    replied
    oral Metronidazole What is it exactly?
    My scalp was crazy itchy first week . It was driving me nuts.
    It’s stopped itching this week. And I’ve been using tea tree shampoo for months.
    Oral Metronidazole has a dual classification. It is both an anti-parasitic drug and an antibiotic. It is special in that respect. Most, if not all, other antibiotics have no anti-parasitic effect. Its been around since about 1960 and is on the WHO's list of 100 essential medicines. Like Oral Ivermectin, Oral Metronidazole has a good safety record.

Oral Metro breaks down in the body to at least 5 known metabolic compounds. They think that the Oral Metro works against Demodex through those metabolic compounds rather than directly. Topical Metronidazole (aka Metrogel) has little or no effect against demodex, but the oral version works. One report said that doctors dipped live demodex into 100% liquid Metronidazole and it did not kill the demodex. It appears that how the human body processes the oral Metro is what kills the parasites.

Oral Metronidazole has been given alone to treat demodex and is also effective. It seems from the study that the 2 oral drugs when combined are even more effective.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6...e-oral/details

Leave a comment:

• Nik89
    replied
    Some doctors do prescribe the Oral Metronidazole in different amounts daily along with the weekly dose of Oral Ivermectin. I have seen other medical studies where the doctor prescribe Oral Metro at 500 mg once per day. So your 600 mg per day with 3 half tablets does at least get you in the range of 500 mg to 750 mg per day. Take the Oral Metro with food. That worked for me - I didn't have any stomach upset at all with it.

I hope this works as well for you as it did for me. And please do keep us posted.
    Thanks, that's good to know.

I will do!

Leave a comment:

• Nik89
    replied
    It’s stopped itching this week. And I’ve been using tea tree shampoo for months.
    Metronidazole is what was combined with ivermectin in the study and what Elaine also used.

Of those who just took ivermectin, only 2/15 in the rosacea group had a normal demodex count at the end of treatment, compared to 14/15 in the combined therapy group. In fact, the one person didn't have a normal count ended up being diagnosed with something else. Judging by the remarkable success of combining the two medications, if demodex is the cause then the skin can't fail to be cleared.

Leave a comment:

• ElaineA
    replied
    I've been following this thread for the past couple of weeks and have decided to give this a go.

I'm currently using ZZ cream which is doing a good job on my face. On my body I started using Stridex pads as salicylic acid is supposed to have an effect on demodex. This is after several years of limited success with antifungals. To my surprise, Stridex is actually working quite well after experiencing a pretty bad die-off at the start, which I originally thought might be down to the pads' composition.

I have some ocular issues too.

I took my first dose of 12mg ivermectin yesterday. As probably expected, nothing of note has happened yet. I thought there was an increase in itchiness the first couple of hours but it was probably my mind playing tricks on me more than anything else.

After looking at the study I've decided that ivermectin alone probably won't cut it. The results show the difference is quite significant too. In the rosacea group, after 4 weeks, the mite count dropped from 51.7 to 31.4 with ivermectin alone compared to 51.7 to 5.5 in the combined group. If remission is the end goal instead of having to take maintenance doses of ivermectin, combination is probably wise.

The authors themselves say that these results, together with our results, strongly infer that an ivermectin regimen alone cannot eradicate a Demodex infection but only reduce the number of mites.

Anyway, I've managed to get hold of oral Metronidazole 400mg tablets, which will be arriving within the next couple of days. I realise that the study says to take 250mg 3x a day, but this might be quite hard to do. I'll see how easy the tablets are to break when they arrive. So at the moment I'm planning on taking 200mg 3x a day.

I will probably kind of reset the experiment and start again from next week, but this time combining the two. Ivermectin is meant to be very safe so I do not see a problem in taking an additional dose.

I'll keep you guys updated.
    Based on that comparison study of the combined oral treatment, I do believe that the combined treatment is more effective for more people than Oral Ivermectin alone. I took the combined treatment and I'm still clear at 28+ months. And I had misdiagnosed Demodex literally for many decades.

Some doctors do prescribe the Oral Metronidazole in different amounts daily along with the weekly dose of Oral Ivermectin. I have seen other medical studies where the doctor prescribe Oral Metro at 500 mg once per day. So your 600 mg per day with 3 half tablets does at least get you in the range of 500 mg to 750 mg per day. Take the Oral Metro with food. That worked for me - I didn't have any stomach upset at all with it.

I hope this works as well for you as it did for me. And please do keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• Rubydo1
    replied
    I've been following this thread for the past couple of weeks and have decided to give this a go.

I'm currently using ZZ cream which is doing a good job on my face. On my body I started using Stridex pads as salicylic acid is supposed to have an effect on demodex. This is after several years of limited success with antifungals. To my surprise, Stridex is actually working quite well after experiencing a pretty bad die-off at the start, which I originally thought might be down to the pads' composition.

I have some ocular issues too.

I took my first dose of 12mg ivermectin yesterday. As probably expected, nothing of note has happened yet. I thought there was an increase in itchiness the first couple of hours but it was probably my mind playing tricks on me more than anything else.

After looking at the study I've decided that ivermectin alone probably won't cut it. The results show the difference is quite significant too. In the rosacea group, after 4 weeks, the mite count dropped from 51.7 to 31.4 with ivermectin alone compared to 51.7 to 5.5 in the combined group. If remission is the end goal instead of having to take maintenance doses of ivermectin, combination is probably wise.

The authors themselves say that these results, together with our results, strongly infer that an ivermectin regimen alone cannot eradicate a Demodex infection but only reduce the number of mites.

Anyway, I've managed to get hold of oral Metronidazole 400mg tablets, which will be arriving within the next couple of days. I realise that the study says to take 250mg 3x a day, but this might be quite hard to do. I'll see how easy the tablets are to break when they arrive. So at the moment I'm planning on taking 200mg 3x a day.

I will probably kind of reset the experiment and start again from next week, but this time combining the two. Ivermectin is meant to be very safe so I do not see a problem in taking an additional dose.

I'll keep you guys updated.
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 7 July 2020, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X