Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advise for Blepharitis (and Ocular Rosacea)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almondiyz
    replied
    Eye Care Regimen Re: Advise for Blepharitis (and Ocular Rosacea)

Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Hi,

I have had classic sub-type 1 (Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea) for sometime - it seems to be getting worse (I am a 42 yr old male). Last fall it flared up under both eyes for some reason.

I dealt with the skin issue (mostly) but unfortunately a couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with a mild case of Blepharitis - which confirmed some tearing and other issues I've had with my eyes.

Admittedly I found this news difficult. Up until I always viewed this as a 'skin' condition I needed to manage; now it is causing me more anxiety and issues with my eyes. Bah! I worry about the future and I am hoping I can slow down the progression.

My optometrist prescribed this regimen for me:

1] Eyelid Hygiene twice daily (warm compress + gentle eye lid scrub)
    2] Lipid Lubricant Eye Drops 3 x day
    3] Omega 3 Fish Oil Capsules 2 x day (which also contain Carotenoids which apparently help protect the macular region of the eye from harmful forms of light)

Other than increased tearing (which anecdotally seems to be trigger more by temperature change btw) and more difficultly wearing contact lenses, it doesn't really bug me too much.

His regimen seems a little 'high maintenance' but if it will slow progression down I will gladly do it.

My early experiences with eyelid hygiene is that it irritates my eyes (still experimenting with the best way).

> What do other folks think about this regimen?
    > Any experiences with significant effect of using Omega 3 fish oil for extended periods?
    > Any insight on slowing or reversing the progression of Blepharitis and/or ocular rosacea? Is the best way to manage my triggers for skin flare-ups?

Thanks so much. This is really causing me a lot of anxiety...
    I have Ocular Rosacea & Meibomian Gland Dysfunction(MGD). My eyes were getting worse & I didn't know why. I ended up being referred to an opthalmologist because what I was doing for six months per optometrists suggestion wasn't helping & made my condition worse.

What product(s) are you using to clean your eyelids?
    Please describe how you cleanse your eyelids.
    Warm Compresses, the wet washcloth method or the dry rice bag?
    What temperature is the warm compress? Yes, this is very important, I didn't realize the importance of temperature AND how long I kept the warm compress over my eyes. I actually used a digital thermometer & finally figured out how long I heat the compress in the microwave.
    Eye lubricant drops, what brand(s) are you using? Omega 3 fish oil, I have been taking them for years for other health reasons, plus I also take Flaxseed Oil.
    When I changed my regimen my eyes slowly began improving. Every doctor advises something different. My eyes were really bad when I went to the opthalmologist that she put me immediately on Doxycyline & reduced the warm compress time & temperature. I have to use warm compresses for MGD.
    But, intermittently use cold compresses to reduce inflammation of the Ocular Rosacea & Blepharitis. I have also been wearing Bandage Contact Lenses for a month now because what I was doing for six months damaged the tissue of my eyes.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    started a topic Advise for Blepharitis (and Ocular Rosacea)

Advise for Blepharitis (and Ocular Rosacea)

Hi,

I have had classic sub-type 1 (Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea) for sometime - it seems to be getting worse (I am a 42 yr old male). Last fall it flared up under both eyes for some reason.

I dealt with the skin issue (mostly) but unfortunately a couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with a mild case of Blepharitis - which confirmed some tearing and other issues I've had with my eyes.

Admittedly I found this news difficult. Up until I always viewed this as a 'skin' condition I needed to manage; now it is causing me more anxiety and issues with my eyes. Bah! I worry about the future and I am hoping I can slow down the progression.

My optometrist prescribed this regimen for me:

1] Eyelid Hygiene twice daily (warm compress + gentle eye lid scrub)
    2] Lipid Lubricant Eye Drops 3 x day
    3] Omega 3 Fish Oil Capsules 2 x day (which also contain Carotenoids which apparently help protect the macular region of the eye from harmful forms of light)

Other than increased tearing (which anecdotally seems to be trigger more by temperature change btw) and more difficultly wearing contact lenses, it doesn't really bug me too much.

His regimen seems a little 'high maintenance' but if it will slow progression down I will gladly do it.

My early experiences with eyelid hygiene is that it irritates my eyes (still experimenting with the best way).

> What do other folks think about this regimen?
    > Any experiences with significant effect of using Omega 3 fish oil for extended periods?
    > Any insight on slowing or reversing the progression of Blepharitis and/or ocular rosacea? Is the best way to manage my triggers for skin flare-ups?

Thanks so much. This is really causing me a lot of anxiety...
Working...
X