Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best brand of eye drops for PM use?

Hey guys,

I just did a 3-month course of Doxy (@ 200mg per day) and it basically returned my eyes to "normal" (total reversal of redness, irritation, dryness, styes, AND bleph symptoms). It was awesome, but I also didn't want to stay on such a high dose of antibiotics forever, so my derm said I could try tapering down and see how I respond.

Beginning Monday (8/13), I stopped the regimen of 100mg of Doxy 2x daily and instead have been taking only 20mg 2x daily (i.e. - a total of 40 mg per day, or a subantimicrobial dosage).

I expected with such a drastic taper (and after 3 mos. of the much higher dosage), that there would be an "adjustment period" and probably my eyes would flare, so I am weathering the irritation for now. I want to try staying on the lower dose (40mg per day) for at least a month and then if things don't settle down I will reconsider increasing the dose again, etc.

In the meantime, I was hoping for some advice on a good eye drop for night-time use.

I have a bottle of Genteal gel drops here at home, as well as TheraTears Gel Drops for Night-Time use. Last night I tried the Genteal and it was OK----definitely better than using nothing at night, but am wondering if you have any recommendations / preferences for a brand you consider to be better or "the best."

Not looking to use drops during the day; my eyes are pretty much OK except for at night, when they have a tendency to dry out a bit. The higher dose of Doxy had completely resolved this problem, and I may go back up to it if I see that this new lower dose isn't working, but as I said I'd like to give it a few weeks and see if I can adjust and "level out" on the lower dose. I think if it does work it would be better for me overall than remaining on such a high dose of Doxy.

Thanks in advance!

Would you consider castor oil (before I go into detail)?
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Comment

oopsie, I have trouble at night too... among the many, many freakish things my body has decided to do over a lifetime, probably the freakiest is the fact that I don't close my eyes all the way when I sleep... especially the left one, which is way worse with rosacea. I've tried alot of drops and am not thrilled with many, but thought I'd share this with you;

http://www.eyeeco.com/category/icate...s_goggles.html

They're little hydrating goggles you wear at night. Just a thought. They might be too uncomfortable, but maybe better than adding more chemicals to your life I like the idea of castor oil, and if you can do that, maybe it would be even better. Any oil near my eyes flares them. Brother. Can I have have any more issues!?!? Good luck.

Comment

Hi oopsie, I like Theratears and I also like any preservative free rewetting drop. Celluvisc is thicker and preserv-free and good for nighttime usage. Also, if you use some lighter preserv-free drops during the day that might be helpful for you as well though you don't feel you have a problem during the day. It all makes a difference. If you want to try daytime drops I like refresh plus and they also make a nighttime drop refresh PM that you might want to try. HTH!

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
          Would you consider castor oil (before I go into detail)?
          Sure, I am open to it. I've heard of it being used to soothe the eyes. Detail away....

Comment

Originally posted by flushedbean View Post
            oopsie, I have trouble at night too... among the many, many freakish things my body has decided to do over a lifetime, probably the freakiest is the fact that I don't close my eyes all the way when I sleep... especially the left one, which is way worse with rosacea. I've tried alot of drops and am not thrilled with many, but thought I'd share this with you;

http://www.eyeeco.com/category/icate...s_goggles.html

They're little hydrating goggles you wear at night. Just a thought. They might be too uncomfortable, but maybe better than adding more chemicals to your life I like the idea of castor oil, and if you can do that, maybe it would be even better. Any oil near my eyes flares them. Brother. Can I have have any more issues!?!? Good luck.
            Thanks for the suggestion; I might give these a whirl if I don't find them too uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Melissa W View Post
              Hi oopsie, I like Theratears and I also like any preservative free rewetting drop. Celluvisc is thicker and preserv-free and good for nighttime usage. Also, if you use some lighter preserv-free drops during the day that might be helpful for you as well though you don't feel you have a problem during the day. It all makes a difference. If you want to try daytime drops I like refresh plus and they also make a nighttime drop refresh PM that you might want to try. HTH!
              Thanks for all of these helpful suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by oopsiedaisy View Post
                Thanks for all of these helpful suggestions!
                Thera tears gets my vote too!

J
                SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA SINCE 2002.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
                PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

Comment

Originally posted by oopsiedaisy View Post
                  Sure, I am open to it. I've heard of it being used to soothe the eyes. Detail away....
                  OK, it's easy -- get castor oil and q-tips (cotton buds). Before bed dip a clean cotton bud into the castor oil and make eyeliner and mascara-like strokes on the upper eyelid and lashes of one eye. Dip fresh cotton bud and do lower lid the same way. Next fresh cotton bud, dip and do upper lid and lashes of the other eye. Then the final cotton bud + castor oil for lower lid and lashes. Now go to bed.

The castor oil is refreshing, lubricating (it's ok it it leaks into your eyes), and mites are killed by it.

If initial applications sting this is b/c your eyelids are compromised by the mites. The stinging will pass as your skin heals.

BTW, I never had a prob with this in the a.m. a lot of it seems to be gone by then. Also, it's good for wrinkles and bags.

Good stuff!
                  "It's all illusion anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                    OK, it's easy -- get castor oil and q-tips (cotton buds). Before bed dip a clean cotton bud into the castor oil and make eyeliner and mascara-like strokes on the upper eyelid and lashes of one eye. Dip fresh cotton bud and do lower lid the same way. Next fresh cotton bud, dip and do upper lid and lashes of the other eye. Then the final cotton bud + castor oil for lower lid and lashes. Now go to bed.

The castor oil is refreshing, lubricating (it's ok it it leaks into your eyes), and mites are killed by it.

If initial applications sting this is b/c your eyelids are compromised by the mites. The stinging will pass as your skin heals.

BTW, I never had a prob with this in the a.m. a lot of it seems to be gone by then. Also, it's good for wrinkles and bags.

Good stuff!
                    Can it be any kind of castor oil? Where's the best place to buy it?

I am willing to give this a try.

Comment

During the day I'd recommend Hypermellose or Refresh. In the evenings just before you go to bed you can apply Celluvisc, Viscotears or Lacrilube (these are very viscose in nature and make your vision blurry for a while hence not so good during the day). If none of these are making much difference, you could also look at Clinitas.

I'd also suggest that you perform hot compresses and lid scrubs regularly. You could be suffering from a blockage in the meibomiam glands which can cause the symptoms mentioned above. Be careful with eye-liner, mascara etc as the particles from them contribute towards glands blockage.

Comment

Working...
                      X