Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Methotrexate helped swelling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Methotrexate helped swelling

    Hey gang, I wanted to hop in and report something. 3 weeks ago I started taking methotrexate for psoriasis and mild psoriatic arthritis. I take 5 2.5mg pills once a week and after the first week I noticed some swelling I had in my cheeks, forehead and nose went down significantly, like it?s a drastic difference. The result seems to be skin that actually feels like skin again and a calmer complexion. I hope as I maintain this I?m able to continue to improve because after a steroid shot from an ignorant derm in may 2020, I have had about a year of accumulating damage.

  • #2
    Interesting - thanks for sharing. I have similar issues with swelling or edema in my face, so keep us updated on how you progress!

    Also, as a heads up, I coincidentally just came across a paper on methotrexate yesterday that said there may be a risk of it interfering with the efficacy of the COVID vaccine in certain people. Something to keep in mind I suppose...

    https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-diseases.aspx

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Boomtown405 View Post
      Hey gang, I wanted to hop in and report something. 3 weeks ago I started taking methotrexate for psoriasis and mild psoriatic arthritis. I take 5 2.5mg pills once a week and after the first week I noticed some swelling I had in my cheeks, forehead and nose went down significantly, like it?s a drastic difference. The result seems to be skin that actually feels like skin again and a calmer complexion. I hope as I maintain this I?m able to continue to improve because after a steroid shot from an ignorant derm in may 2020, I have had about a year of accumulating damage.
      This is really interesting - I wouldn't have expected that from methotrexate. It does carry some significant side effects potentially though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dutch1 View Post
        Interesting - thanks for sharing. I have similar issues with swelling or edema in my face, so keep us updated on how you progress!

        Also, as a heads up, I coincidentally just came across a paper on methotrexate yesterday that said there may be a risk of it interfering with the efficacy of the COVID vaccine in certain people. Something to keep in mind I suppose...

        https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-diseases.aspx
        I will def update with progress. I actually waited to start methotrexate until a month after my second dose of the vaccine, even though my rheum said it shouldn?t effect it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
          This is really interesting - I wouldn't have expected that from methotrexate. It does carry some significant side effects potentially though.
          Oh for sure. It sat in my medicine cabinet since February. I initially waited to take it because of the covid vaccine, but I waited a bit longer because of reported side effects. In retrospect I?m glad I took the plunge because my face is calmer and looks almost normal now. I just hope it continues to improve and also that the mtx helps my psoriasis and PsA.

          Comment


          • #6
            Methotrexacte has been mentioned as a second line therapy for rosacea in an article on 2011. Here is the post. If you can't read the post you need to register as a member to view. Membership is free.
            Brady Barrows
            Blog - Join the RRDi


            Comment


            • #7
              It's a broad-acting anti-inflammatory that peaks in 6 mo I think. I was put on it, but the folic acid that you have to take with it, made me itch / swell, but I think I'm really sensitive to all b vitamins (esp b12) personally.All my derms thought it was worth trying though and claimed it was a gentle medicine.

              So glad you are seeing improvement. That's really fast improvement too (1-3 wks).
              Last edited by laser_cat; 27 May 2021, 12:12 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Boomtown405 View Post

                Oh for sure. It sat in my medicine cabinet since February. I initially waited to take it because of the covid vaccine, but I waited a bit longer because of reported side effects. In retrospect I?m glad I took the plunge because my face is calmer and looks almost normal now. I just hope it continues to improve and also that the mtx helps my psoriasis and PsA.
                hi there! How are you getting on with the methotrexate now? Is it still helping your swelling?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm hoping to try methotrexate soon too, maybe early next year. I've been seeing a new derm that's more open to trying things like this.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X