Methotrexate helped swelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methotrexate helped swelling

Hey gang, I wanted to hop in and report something. 3 weeks ago I started taking methotrexate for psoriasis and mild psoriatic arthritis. I take 5 2.5mg pills once a week and after the first week I noticed some swelling I had in my cheeks, forehead and nose went down significantly, like it?s a drastic difference. The result seems to be skin that actually feels like skin again and a calmer complexion. I hope as I maintain this I?m able to continue to improve because after a steroid shot from an ignorant derm in may 2020, I have had about a year of accumulating damage.

Interesting - thanks for sharing. I have similar issues with swelling or edema in my face, so keep us updated on how you progress!

Also, as a heads up, I coincidentally just came across a paper on methotrexate yesterday that said there may be a risk of it interfering with the efficacy of the COVID vaccine in certain people. Something to keep in mind I suppose...

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-diseases.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Boomtown405 View Post
      Hey gang, I wanted to hop in and report something. 3 weeks ago I started taking methotrexate for psoriasis and mild psoriatic arthritis. I take 5 2.5mg pills once a week and after the first week I noticed some swelling I had in my cheeks, forehead and nose went down significantly, like it?s a drastic difference. The result seems to be skin that actually feels like skin again and a calmer complexion. I hope as I maintain this I?m able to continue to improve because after a steroid shot from an ignorant derm in may 2020, I have had about a year of accumulating damage.
      This is really interesting - I wouldn't have expected that from methotrexate. It does carry some significant side effects potentially though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch1 View Post
        Interesting - thanks for sharing. I have similar issues with swelling or edema in my face, so keep us updated on how you progress!

Also, as a heads up, I coincidentally just came across a paper on methotrexate yesterday that said there may be a risk of it interfering with the efficacy of the COVID vaccine in certain people. Something to keep in mind I suppose...

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-diseases.aspx
        I will def update with progress. I actually waited to start methotrexate until a month after my second dose of the vaccine, even though my rheum said it shouldn?t effect it.

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
          This is really interesting - I wouldn't have expected that from methotrexate. It does carry some significant side effects potentially though.
          Oh for sure. It sat in my medicine cabinet since February. I initially waited to take it because of the covid vaccine, but I waited a bit longer because of reported side effects. In retrospect I?m glad I took the plunge because my face is calmer and looks almost normal now. I just hope it continues to improve and also that the mtx helps my psoriasis and PsA.

Comment

Methotrexacte has been mentioned as a second line therapy for rosacea in an article on 2011. Here is the post. If you can't read the post you need to register as a member to view. Membership is free.
            Brady Barrows
            Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

It's a broad-acting anti-inflammatory that peaks in 6 mo I think. I was put on it, but the folic acid that you have to take with it, made me itch / swell, but I think I'm really sensitive to all b vitamins (esp b12) personally.All my derms thought it was worth trying though and claimed it was a gentle medicine.

So glad you are seeing improvement. That's really fast improvement too (1-3 wks).
              Last edited by laser_cat; 27 May 2021, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X