Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with a huge flare-up

Hi guys,
    I just wanted to post a couple of pictures of a flare-up I am right in the middle of to see if anyone would have any advice. This has been going on for about a month now and I have never seen my nose this bad. Seen multiple dermatologists in the past and had 15+ vbeams that I have documented in other threads with varying success. My concern is that this redness is permanent, my nose has actually been less of a problem than my cheeks in the past so to wake up with this last month, and for it not to improve is super scary. Is this just a flare-up that will get better, or will I have to look to lasers again (something I don't really want to do.)

I have also noticed in this flare-up that my ears and forehead are also getting super inflamed and hot, a new thing as well. I have posted a picture from last Summer where my skin was actually in a much better place, and then yesterday, where clearly it's not. I am tempted to get a skin scrape done to check for Demodex but I have tried ZZ cream in the past with no success so might just be clutching at straws. I know ZZ cream also makes it worse before it gets better, and I may not have given it the full 30 days. I am also wondering whether I need to get a better skincare routine as it may just be that my skin barrier is massively impaired. Currently, I only moisturize as that seems to be the only thing I can tolerate, but maybe I should add a cleanser into my routine.

Any advice or reassurance would be great!

IMG_8842.jpg
    summer_2021.jpg
    Last edited by Seb91; 1 March 2021, 07:31 AM.

Originally posted by Seb91 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I just wanted to post a couple of pictures of a flare-up I am right in the middle of to see if anyone would have any advice. This has been going on for about a month now and I have never seen my nose this bad. Seen multiple dermatologists in the past and had 15+ vbeams that I have documented in other threads with varying success. My concern is that this redness is permanent, my nose has actually been less of a problem than my cheeks in the past so to wake up with this last month, and for it not to improve is super scary. Is this just a flare-up that will get better, or will I have to look to lasers again (something I don't really want to do.)

I have also noticed in this flare-up that my ears and forehead are also getting super inflamed and hot, a new thing as well. I have posted a picture from last Summer where my skin was actually in a much better place, and then yesterday, where clearly it's not. I am tempted to get a skin scrape done to check for Demodex but I have tried ZZ cream in the past with no success so might just be clutching at straws. I know ZZ cream also makes it worse before it gets better, and I may not have given it the full 30 days. I am also wondering whether I need to get a better skincare routine as it may just be that my skin barrier is massively impaired. Currently, I only moisturize as that seems to be the only thing I can tolerate, but maybe I should add a cleanser into my routine.

Any advice or reassurance would be great!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5743[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5745[/ATTACH]
    I get similar redness on my nose. It comes and goes according to the season. So worse in winter and way better in summer.

The redness hasn't been permanent for me so far luckily. I use finacea (azelaic acid) on my nose. I can't tolerate it on my cheeks where I have the most sensitivity but it works great on my nose at knocking down the redness and any bumps. Perhaps that may work for you if your skin can tolerate it.

Comment

Originally posted by owldog View Post
      I get similar redness on my nose. It comes and goes according to the season. So worse in winter and way better in summer.

The redness hasn't been permanent for me so far luckily. I use finacea (azelaic acid) on my nose. I can't tolerate it on my cheeks where I have the most sensitivity but it works great on my nose at knocking down the redness and any bumps. Perhaps that may work for you if your skin can tolerate it.
      Thanks Owldog. Yeah, I have heard azelaic zcid has worked for a lot of people, I just know my skin is so sensitive to topicals. Maybe worth a shot to see if I can hold of this, as last Summer I didn't have any redness on my nose really!

Comment

Thanks Owldog. Yeah, I have heard azelaic zcid has worked for a lot of people, I just know my skin is so sensitive to topicals. Maybe worth a shot to see if I can hold of this, as last Summer I didn't have any redness on my nose really!
        Yeah mine's always so much worse in Winter.

I didn't think I could tolerate azelaic acid either but it really helps my nose. I tried the one from The Ordinary but found that one didn't work so well and was really heavy on silicones. But finacea gel works great for me. It burns a bit for the first 10 minutes once your skin gets used to it but after using it for a few weeks it doesn't burn anymore. I've been using it every day for the last 2 years and it still seems to be helping.

Comment

Hi Owldog, I?m actually seeing yet another dermatologist in a couple weeks and I?ll see what he thinks as well. Do you also use it on your cheeks? I sometimes think that my redness comes from just really dry skin, but I?ve had so many laser treatments in the past that has helped the vascular redness and burning (but the success is always temporary) and probably increases sensitivity in the long term. I?m really intent on tackling the root cause because it seems every time I go away surfing, for the first 3 or 4 days it?s really tough, but then my skin starts to normalise, I get a tan and my redness and burning disappears. Not sure what the link is, maybe salt water, lack of stress, doing something I love, I just don?t know? I?ve attached a picture of me back in Mexico a couple years back. Wish my skin looked and felt like this all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Owldog, I?m actually seeing yet another dermatologist in a couple weeks and I?ll see what he thinks as well. Do you also use it on your cheeks? I sometimes think that my redness comes from just really dry skin, but I?ve had so many laser treatments in the past that has helped the vascular redness and burning (but the success is always temporary) and probably increases sensitivity in the long term. I?m really intent on tackling the root cause because it seems every time I go away surfing, for the first 3 or 4 days it?s really tough, but then my skin starts to normalise, I get a tan and my redness and burning disappears. Not sure what the link is, maybe salt water, lack of stress, doing something I love, I just don?t know? I?ve attached a picture of me back in Mexico a couple years back. Wish my skin looked and felt like this all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Hey seb91, that's a good idea to see another dermatologist. I've seen so many I've lost count but it always helps to get another opinion on board.

I can't tolerate the azelaic acid on my cheeks. It is drying. So if dryness is your problem then it may be too much. I have really oily skin but it's very sensitive on my cheeks. Can feel it all the time even when not flushing. So it throbs, burns and itches. Not sure if yours is similar but if it is then probably best not to use the cream on your cheeks. However my nose, forehead and chin tolerates it very well. You could always just patch test it a bit on your nose and see how it goes, then perhaps put it on only a few days a week at first and see if your skin gets used to it.

Your skin looks great though overall. Even the pictures that you have from more recent, it seems there is only minor redness. The laser treatments seem to be helping. But I totally understand if you don't want to continue with them.

I've actually been considering Vbeam (I have some permanent redness now on my cheeks) but been reluctant to do it so far just from fear of making it worse. I have a similar olive skin tone.

I'm better in warmer climates too. Been even considering moving somewhere else just to improve my quality of life. In summer I find the pain is better, flushing is not everyday and even the redness on my cheeks is less. I also have Raynaud's so that could be making it worse for me in winter.

Have you checked your vitamin d levels? Mine are always very low.

It's good that you're getting it all checked out and looking to treat the root cause as that's the best way to try to go about it.

Comment

Working...
            X